VW Golf towing delema

Old September 19th 04, 09:08 PM
Ingo Braune

Default VW Golf towing delema

Mike Hackett wrote:

> So do they specifically mention a towing capacity for the 1.8T in Europe?

Sorry, I don't have data for the A4, as the german VW homepage of
course only lists A5 data, but it should be similar for the A4.
Again, there's no 1.8 turbo in the A5 yet, but the 150HP FSI should do.

<http://host3.showrooms.volkswagen.de/golf-content/Golf-Limousine/facts/ct_techdetails.aspx>

### Zul. Anhängelasten / Allow. towing capacity
### gebremst / w/ trailer brakes
### bei 12%/8% / up to 8%/12% road inclination
1400/1700kg / 1400/1700kg
Ungebremst / w/o trailer brakes
650kg / 650kg

> I'd be much more concerned about towing a box trailer, not only
> because of the weight, but the aero. Seems like the turbo could get pretty
> hot, just from maintaining a decent hightway speed.

European engines are designed to be run at full throttle for prolonged
times.

Ingo

Old September 21st 04, 03:29 AM
Mike Hackett

<http://host3.showrooms.volkswagen.de...ine/facts/ct_t
echdetails.aspx>

> ### Zul. Anhängelasten / Allow. towing capacity
> ### gebremst / w/ trailer brakes
> ### bei 12%/8% / up to 8%/12% road inclination
> 1400/1700kg / 1400/1700kg
> Ungebremst / w/o trailer brakes
> 650kg / 650kg
>
> > I'd be much more concerned about towing a box trailer, not only
> > because of the weight, but the aero. Seems like the turbo could get

pretty
> > hot, just from maintaining a decent highway speed.

> European engines are designed to be run at full throttle for prolonged
> times.
>

> Ingo

Thanks for the info, though I couldn't tell though whether that's a turbo or
not. I think that could be the issue with gas engines. Consider for example
the recent thread about synthetic oil, suggests something may be a bit
marginal in that area, and dragging a heavy load could put it over the edge.
All speculation on my part, of course, but it is sort of funny that that's
the only engine VWoA didn't give a rating for.

Turbo gas engines always seem like they are running on borrowed time in the
best of circumstances. ;-)

Mike

Old September 21st 04, 09:24 PM
Ingo Braune

Mike Hackett wrote:

> Thanks for the info, though I couldn't tell though whether that's a turbo or
> not.

No, it's not a turbo, it's the new gasoline-direct-injection engine.

> I think that could be the issue with gas engines. Consider for example
> the recent thread about synthetic oil, suggests something may be a bit
> marginal in that area,

Almost all new (european) cars use sythetic oil (turbo or not) mostly
because of change intervals extended to 30-50 000km.

> and dragging a heavy load could put it over the edge.
> All speculation on my part, of course, but it is sort of funny that that's
> the only engine VWoA didn't give a rating for.

That seems to be a VWoA thing, over here the rating for the A4 1.8t was
in the 1300-1500kg range, and yes of course it could be had with a
trailer hitch from the factory.
Back to your "box" trailer. How fast do you want to go with it?
Assuming the 150HP turbo will have a v_max of about 220km/h, and
considering that wind drag is proportional to the third power of the
(air-)speed you would be able to go over 170km/h with a trailer that
doubled the wind-drag compared to driving solo. Even with a trippled
wind-drag you would still be able to run over 150km/h at full throttle.
Do you really want to go that fast with a trailer?

Ingo

Old September 22nd 04, 04:08 AM
Mike Hackett

Ingo Braune > wrote in message

> That seems to be a VWoA thing, over here the rating for the A4 1.8t was
> in the 1300-1500kg range, and yes of course it could be had with a
> trailer hitch from the factory.

Thanks for that bit of info, certainly makes me feel better about the idea.
Might have missed that if you mentioned it earlier.

Mike

Golf carb tuning?/ cutting out Jason Fox VW air cooled 0 December 29th 04 05:24 PM
TOWING A SATURN- from theCONFUSING owners handbook ! misterfact Saturn 25 November 5th 04 09:16 AM
96 Caravan - towing package? EdO Dodge 1 October 25th 04 04:43 AM
1998 Golf advise? Matt B. VW water cooled 1 September 21st 04 09:31 AM
S-10 towing and tow lites wiring?? Steve 4x4 12 January 27th 04 01:55 PM