Cross Shaft Dementia_Help please!

Old August 18th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Cross Shaft Dementia_Help please!

Hallo!
I have a 1973 Beetle sedan non-Super.

I ordered a cross shaft kit for it.
I bought the BugPack 20 mm cross shaft kit, for a 1973 transaxle.

I had to re-use the old cross shaft, since I had bought the wrong size
cross shaft.

The transaxle had a number on it. It started with 113 …. , so I
thought it was a 1973 transaxle.

It must be a 1972 or one of those mid-year change situations.

But a clutch kit for a 1973 tranny fits perfectly.

After attempting to install the new kit, I found that this tranny uses
a 16 mm cross shaft kit.

Anyway, like I said earlier, I had to re-use it since I had bought the
wrong size cross shaft.

I would have just sent off for a BugPack16 mm cross shaft kit
delivered by 2nd day air but I didn’t want to have to wait.

I also re-installed the old bush and the two rubber things inside it
since I did not have a new bush on hand.

Now, after I tighten the little bolt that holds the left bush in
place, the cross shaft will not move.

It moves again after I loosen the bush bolt a little.

I think the rubber thing inside the bush is between the bolt and the
cross shaft.

I think if the cross shaft moves back and forth enough times, it will
wear into place.

Then the bolt can be fully tightened. Possibly I had just over
tightened the little bolt. It is supposed to be torqued to only 7 ft.
lbs.

I plan to check it once a week.

I only drive about 111 miles a month. I thought this would be OK to
try
until next year when I plan to practice removing and replacing the
engine again.

Do you think this will work? What do you recommend?
Any help will be appreciated!
Old August 18th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> Now, after I tighten the little bolt that holds the left bush in
> place, the cross shaft will not move.

There is a locating hole in the bushing that must be aligned with the
end of the bolt. Failure to properly line up the parts will cause the
shaft to bind when you tighten the bolt because you are compressing
the bushing instead of retaining it. Take the bushing back out, find
the hole, and press it back into the transaxle case so the hole in the
bushing is lined up with the hole for the bolt.

Chris
Old August 19th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
Hallo!
I have a 1973 Beetle sedan non-Super.

I ordered a cross shaft kit for it.
I bought the BugPack 20 mm cross shaft kit, for a 1973 transaxle.

I had to re-use the old cross shaft, since I had bought the wrong size
cross shaft.

The transaxle had a number on it. It started with 113 …. , so I
thought it was a 1973 transaxle.

It must be a 1972 or one of those mid-year change situations.

But a clutch kit for a 1973 tranny fits perfectly.

After attempting to install the new kit, I found that this tranny uses
a 16 mm cross shaft kit.

Anyway, like I said earlier, I had to re-use it since I had bought the
wrong size cross shaft.

I would have just sent off for a BugPack16 mm cross shaft kit
delivered by 2nd day air but I didn’t want to have to wait.

I also re-installed the old bush and the two rubber things inside it
since I did not have a new bush on hand.

Now, after I tighten the little bolt that holds the left bush in
place, the cross shaft will not move.

It moves again after I loosen the bush bolt a little.

I think the rubber thing inside the bush is between the bolt and the
cross shaft.

I think if the cross shaft moves back and forth enough times, it will
wear into place.

Then the bolt can be fully tightened. Possibly I had just over
tightened the little bolt. It is supposed to be torqued to only 7 ft.
lbs.

I plan to check it once a week.

I only drive about 111 miles a month. I thought this would be OK to
try
until next year when I plan to practice removing and replacing the
engine again.

Do you think this will work? What do you recommend?
Any help will be appreciated!

_______

there's a good chance your bushing isn't installed correctly... there is a
locating hole that the retaining bolt turns into.... pull the bolt out and
take a look, if you see brass, your bushing is not located correctly...

Old August 19th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
>> Now, after I tighten the little bolt that holds the left bush in
>> place, the cross shaft will not move.

> There is a locating hole in the bushing that must be aligned with the
> end of the bolt. Failure to properly line up the parts will cause the
> shaft to bind when you tighten the bolt because you are compressing
> the bushing instead of retaining it. Take the bushing back out, find
> the hole, and press it back into the transaxle case so the hole in the
> bushing is lined up with the hole for the bolt.
>
> Chris

Sorry, should have read ahead, seems Chris has pointed out the same thing.

Old August 19th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I went across town and bought a new cross shaft repair kit today.
It looks old but like a good Brazilian part.
It even has the small bush for the right side.
I will install it as soon as it stops raining.

Does anyone know how to remove the small bush from the right side and
how to install the new one?
Thanks again!

----------------------------

Old August 19th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> Does anyone know how to remove the small bush from the right side and
> how to install the new one?
> Thanks again!
>
> ----------------------------

If it isn't worn, don't mess with it. It's a bit of pain to get out
because the bushing isn't very thick and it goes into a blind hole.
Having said that, the last time I did this job(many years ago) I used
a flat-bottom tap that was just a bit larger than the ID of the
bushing. As I turned the tap it cut threads into the bushing and then
when the tap reached the bottom of the bore it started to pull the
bushing out.

If the bore is worn oval the new bushing will not be a good fit. I
don't know what the proper repair procedure is if you encounter that
problem.

Chris
Old August 20th 08, 08:49 PM
KaiyureGirl KaiyureGirl is offline
Banned

Angry I am appreciated for this pretty article. thanks.

would you mind PM your MSN to me? thanks.___________________________________________ ____________________________________ get free wow power leveling and wow power leveling and wow power leveling and wow power leveling and wow power leveling

Anyone got a CJ7 Steering shaft? Mike Romain Jeep 3 June 9th 07 08:03 PM
Oil shaft ? bf81 Ford Mustang 1 October 8th 06 12:18 AM
Cross shaft question warlock VW air cooled 3 March 18th 06 05:27 AM
Double lay shaft [email protected] Technology 2 January 12th 06 04:01 PM
Rocker Arm Shaft P. Wiebe Saturn 0 October 24th 04 05:56 PM