No Oil Filter???

Old November 8th 04, 12:45 AM
Chuck Townsley

Default No Oil Filter???

I am sure this has been discussed at nausea in the past, but being a
new member to the joy of VW ownership club (or is that joy of repair
club?), I am not aware of these discussions.

My question is simple. I have 1600cc engine and it has not oil
filter. It has a screen filter at the bottom of the engine. I
cleaned it out and it there was a small amount of sludge with quite a
bit of metalic filings in that sludge. Enough to make it shimmer in
the sun.

So do the 1600s just not have oil filters? Is there a way to put an
after market filter on the engine? According to the Bentley service
manual the dual carburetor engines do have a oil filter mounted on the
side next to the pressure release valve. When I looked in that area
there is no covered up port, nothing that one can use to retrofit.
Any ideas? Is it even necessary to add a filter? The manual says to
change the oil every 5K miles, and clean the strainer every 15K miles
(along with changing the non-existant oil filter).

Any help would be appreciated as always. Including pointing out that
the filter does exist and that I am an idiot for not finding it!!!

Thanks again...
Chuck
Old November 8th 04, 01:42 AM
Dane Tyler

Hi Chuck,

Welcome to the wonderful world of aircooled VW's...

Yes you are correct, the only stock filter is the screen at the bottom
of the engine. Many, many people use this setup and receive good service
from their engines. Its probably a good idea to change your oil at least
every 3,000 miles, if not every 1500 miles (depends on your style of
driving and the conditions, could be as much as every 500 miles if in a
dusty condition).

And just as many people buy the oil filter kit available from several of
the VW aftermarket retailers. If you'd like to do some research, check out:

www.aircooled.net
www.geneberg.com

Do a search on google for this newsgroup and you will see many
discussions on this topic. Hopefully many will chime in with their $0.02

You'll find this newsgroup to be extremely helpful with aircooled VW
questions.

Dane Tyler
'69 Bug
'63 Bug

Old November 8th 04, 03:16 AM
Kafertoys

>And just as many people buy the oil filter kit available from several of
>the VW aftermarket retailers. If you'd like to do some research, check out:
>
>www.aircooled.net

or you can get the same kit for about half the price here at just the same
quality
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...keId-10000148/
p-2159/c-10110/modelId-10001811
Old November 8th 04, 03:51 AM
David

Kafertoys wrote:
>> And just as many people buy the oil filter kit available from
>> several of the VW aftermarket retailers. If you'd like to do some
>> research, check out:
>>
>> www.aircooled.net

> or you can get the same kit for about half the price here at just the
> same quality
> http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...keId-10000148/
> p-2159/c-10110/modelId-10001811

I am going to go with this:
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie... 200480903692
and this:
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie... 200480903692
I have a new Mexican beetle engine.
dave

Old November 8th 04, 12:55 PM
Dennis Wik

I've used by-pass systems for years for the 1600. I am trying the
Mexican style with the oil filter located on the oil pump with my Puma
and so far, so good. Dennis

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old November 8th 04, 02:07 PM
Narley DudeŽ

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:51:35 -0500, "David"
> wrote:

>Kafertoys wrote:
>>> And just as many people buy the oil filter kit available from
>>> several of the VW aftermarket retailers. If you'd like to do some
>>> research, check out:
>>>
>>> www.aircooled.net

>> or you can get the same kit for about half the price here at just the
>> same quality
>> http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...keId-10000148/
>> p-2159/c-10110/modelId-10001811

>I am going to go with this:
>http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie... 200480903692
>and this:
>http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie... 200480903692
>I have a new Mexican beetle engine.
>dave

Hey!! Now, that's pretty darn slick!
I knew ol' John C. gets a hold of many nifty new toys!
This is what I have on my 'vert
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=197
While you're buying oil related items ask John about a nice heavy
billet oil drain plate. It has put an end once and for all of a pesky
oil leak I had time ago!

Narley DudeŽ
Old November 8th 04, 02:55 PM
Narley DudeŽ

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:56:06 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et> wrote:

>Kafertoys wrote:
>>>And just as many people buy the oil filter kit available from several of
>>>the VW aftermarket retailers. If you'd like to do some research, check out:
>>>
>>>www.aircooled.net

>> or you can get the same kit for about half the price here at just the same
>> quality
>> http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...keId-10000148/
>> p-2159/c-10110/modelId-10001811

>Huh -- I've never seen that gadget before. Adding a real oil filter to
>the Wonderbus is something I'd love to do, but the various kits, with
>all their hoses and variations, from different vendors, with different
>claims about their hoses, etc., look to be a bit of trouble to install.
>This kit, though, looks to be dead simple. And affordable.
>
>The Wonderbus has a new Mexi 1600 longblock in it and further down this
>thread, Dennis Wik mentions "the Mexican style with the oil filter
>located on the oil pump." Would that be this JC Whitney kit? If so, it
>might be a good match for the engine.
>
>JC Whitney sells two types, one for "Dish Cam," and one for not. I have
>no idea what kind of cam this engine has in it. Anyone?
>
>Has anyone tried this kit on a 71 bus w/ its mustache bar? Do it fit?
>
>Sign me, as usual, asking more questions than I ever answer on this NG.

FYI:
Something that you need to keep in mind it that IF you have a stock
muffler this item
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...delId-10001811
will not work, due to clearance issues. Plus, I have a friend that
bought this very same item from JC Whitney and they leaked due to
hairline cracks only visible when they are nice and hot.
That is why I went with
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=197 &
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=208
The filter is mounted under the left rear fender.
Never had any troubles!

Narley DudeŽ
Old November 8th 04, 02:56 PM

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old November 8th 04, 11:10 PM

Narley DudeŽ wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:56:06 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
> et> wrote:

>>>or you can get the same kit for about half the price here at just the same
>>>quality
>>>http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...keId-10000148/
>>>p-2159/c-10110/modelId-10001811

>>Huh -- I've never seen that gadget before. Adding a real oil filter to
>>the Wonderbus is something I'd love to do, but the various kits, with
>>all their hoses and variations, from different vendors, with different
>>claims about their hoses, etc., look to be a bit of trouble to install.
>>This kit, though, looks to be dead simple. And affordable.
>>
>>The Wonderbus has a new Mexi 1600 longblock in it and further down this
>>thread, Dennis Wik mentions "the Mexican style with the oil filter
>>located on the oil pump." Would that be this JC Whitney kit? If so, it
>>might be a good match for the engine.
>>

> That is why I went with
> http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=197 &
> http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=208
> The filter is mounted under the left rear fender.
> Never had any troubles!

What kind of hose works well with those?
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
-=-=-
I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's
a knob called "brightness", but it doesn't work.
-- Gallagher
------------------------------------
Old November 8th 04, 11:19 PM
Narley DudeŽ

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:10:33 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et> wrote:

>Narley DudeŽ wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:56:06 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
>> et> wrote:

>>>Huh -- I've never seen that gadget before. Adding a real oil filter to
>>>the Wonderbus is something I'd love to do, but the various kits, with
>>>all their hoses and variations, from different vendors, with different
>>>claims about their hoses, etc., look to be a bit of trouble to install.
>>>This kit, though, looks to be dead simple. And affordable.
>>>
>>>The Wonderbus has a new Mexi 1600 longblock in it and further down this
>>>thread, Dennis Wik mentions "the Mexican style with the oil filter
>>>located on the oil pump." Would that be this JC Whitney kit? If so, it
>>>might be a good match for the engine.
>>>

>> That is why I went with
>> http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=197 &
>> http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=208
>> The filter is mounted under the left rear fender.
>> Never had any troubles!

>What kind of hose works well with those?

I have normal high pressure hoses on it with clamps. Never a leak...
works GREAT. Have had quite a few people that went with the CB
performance Maxi pump 3. It's one of the easiest full-flow without
drilling and tapping the case, because it all flows in and out from
the pump, instead of out from one place and the return from another.
Well worth the $$$.

Narley DudeŽ