Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

Old July 5th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Fred Mann

Default Damaged SOMETHING with backfiring ...

Well, I finally got my 83 GTI up and running (it needed a new hall sender).
But it seems that the numerous backfires have taken their toll. I actually
noticed this new problem just after one of the last backfires so I'm pretty
certain it was the cause.
The car now makes a pretty loud clanging noise roughly once per revolution
(guessing). At first I thought it might be a hole in the exhaust pipes or
something, but that's not the case. The car also has much less power. What
should I look for here?
Thanks and happy 4th!!!!
Fred

Old July 5th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Is the engine running smoothly?
maybe a spark plug is not firing or the wires are crossed and not in the
proper firing order.

Old July 5th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

1, 4, 3, 2 is the firing order?

Have you removed the catalytic onverter? I used to go through them
about every 50,000 to 80,000 miles. They would rattle and clog up with
chunks falling out. I had to remove the muffler once to shake a chunk
out of the muffler. Once the car is running well with no skipping,
missing or backfiring you can install a new converter. I actualy might
have gotten a longer life then mentioned but missfiring will trash a
converter. Explosions in the wrong place can cause premature demise.

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 22:57:52 -0500, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:

>Is the engine running smoothly?
>maybe a spark plug is not firing or the wires are crossed and not in the
>proper firing order.

. ..

Old July 5th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JRE

While I've no experience with this particular engine, I doubt that's the
correct firing order. Every 4 I've ever worked on has been 1-3-4-2.
But by all means, look it up rather than relying on Jim's memory or mine.

Jim Behning wrote:
> 1, 4, 3, 2 is the firing order?

<snip>

JRE
Old July 5th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 20:24:08 -0400, "Fred Mann" > wrote:

>Well, I finally got my 83 GTI up and running (it needed a new hall sender).
>But it seems that the numerous backfires have taken their toll. I actually
>noticed this new problem just after one of the last backfires so I'm pretty
>certain it was the cause.
>The car now makes a pretty loud clanging noise roughly once per revolution
>(guessing). At first I thought it might be a hole in the exhaust pipes or
>something, but that's not the case. The car also has much less power. What
>should I look for here?
>Thanks and happy 4th!!!!
>Fred

Backfired and now low power sure sounds like a blocked exhaust, as Jim said.
Old July 5th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
vwtopdown

On Jul 5, 8:14 am, JRE > wrote:
> While I've no experience with this particular engine, I doubt that's the
> correct firing order. Every 4 I've ever worked on has been 1-3-4-2.
> But by all means, look it up rather than relying on Jim's memory or mine.
>
> Jim Behning wrote:
> > 1, 4, 3, 2 is the firing order?

> <snip>
>
> JRE

it's 1,3,4,2 just replaced the distrib. in my 85.

md

Old July 5th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Jim,
WATER-cooled and not AIR-cooled!
I see what you are more familar with! ;-)
I try to remember when redoing plug wires, but there are times
when.......... lol
--
later,
dave

Old July 5th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Fred Mann

Exciting new data!:

Well, I pulled each plug wire with the engine running, and found that the
noise comes from cylinder #2.
The noise occurrs with each spark (I checked with a timing gun).
Where does this leave me? Sounds expensive.

Old July 5th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JRE

JRE wrote:
> While I've no experience with this particular engine, I doubt that's the
> correct firing order. Every 4 I've ever worked on has been 1-3-4-2. But
> by all means, look it up rather than relying on Jim's memory or mine.
>
> Jim Behning wrote:
>> 1, 4, 3, 2 is the firing order?
>>

> <snip>
>
> JRE

Note: I should have said "inline 4," and noted that some of them have
been VW's. I have also infrequently worked on horizontally opposed 4's
but don't recall their firing orders and whether they differ.

JRE
Old July 6th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Fred Mann wrote:

>Exciting new data!:
>
>Well, I pulled each plug wire with the engine running, and found that the
>noise comes from cylinder #2.
>The noise occurrs with each spark (I checked with a timing gun).
>Where does this leave me? Sounds expensive.

When you pulled number 2 plug wire, what changed? The "loud clanging
noise" stopped, got louder, or what?

NR2003 Backfiring sounds Jim Barbieri Simulators 3 June 17th 07 01:26 PM
CJ - backfiring problem help (a little long) [email protected] Jeep 10 June 15th 06 04:12 AM
1987 BMW 535i BackFiring James BMW 0 January 12th 06 04:59 AM
Backfiring elaich Ford Mustang 1 November 28th 05 02:48 PM
backfiring Ford Mustang 3 May 3rd 05 08:21 PM