maintenance tips

Old July 20th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
diesel dawn

Default maintenance tips

I just bought an 06 VW Jetta TDI. Never had a diesel before. Besides
following its maintenance schedule, what else should I be aware of or
make sure gets done on it to prolong its life? Come on all you
gearheads, now's your chance: enlighten me with your wisdom!
Thanks,
Dawn

Old July 21st 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

www.tdiclub.com

I change my oil every 10,000 miles as per owners manual. My car only
has 160,000 miles on it and it runs pretty good. I changed the timing
belt as per owners manual. Follow maintenance procedures and it should
give you good service. I am not as good about air and fuel filter
changes though. I need to study the manual to see what the change
interval is.

Do not drive any car just short trips if you want it to last.

You car probaly uses a special oil that might be near to impossible to
find in a general US auto parts store. Make sure that whoever services
your oil uses the proper oil. If you do not see the proper oil label
you should make them stop. Of course you should make them show you the
oil they intend to install before they start the oil change. Any old
oil from a 55 gallon drum is not good enough.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=158788

Old July 24th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Joseph Meehan

diesel dawn wrote:
> I just bought an 06 VW Jetta TDI. Never had a diesel before. Besides
> following its maintenance schedule, what else should I be aware of or
> make sure gets done on it to prolong its life? Come on all you
> gearheads, now's your chance: enlighten me with your wisdom!
> Thanks,
> Dawn

Also be sure to use the specified materials, even dealers have been
known to fail here.

Also you may want to clean out the snowscreen and intake from time
to time. See TDI.COM for instructions.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit