1967 VW Bug: Special and 1-year only features...

Old February 13th 05, 05:29 PM
Jim

Default 1967 VW Bug: Special and 1-year only features...

1967 VW Bug Special and 1-year only features

1500 cc engine, 53hp. (1968 1600 cc went up to 57hp).
Dual-spout air cleaner.
"Volkswagen" added to rear deck.
Squared-off looking rear hood.
Rear bumper over-riders re-designed to clear new deck lid.
Changed from 6 to 12 volt system in middle of year.
Generator increased from 180 to 360 watts with change from 6 to 12
volts.
Voltage regulator now mounted under rear seat instead of on generator.
Wider swing axles provide wider track in rear.
Clutch disk increased in size from 180 to 200 mm.
130 tooth (200mm) flywheel replaces 109 tooth (180mm) flywheel.
Dual master cylinder brake system.
Outside door handle has round push button.
Recessed inside plastic door handles.
Two-speed windshield wipers.
Headlamp switch has "parking lights only" setting.
Back-up lights.
Single unit headlights.
Locking buttons on doors.
Driver armrest added.
Door pocket only on drivers side.
Slimmer outside chrome trim pieces.
Left outside mirror becomes standard equipment.
Z-Bar added to rear suspension in an attempt to improve handling.
12 Volt sticker inside left door frame in silver/red.
First year Transistor radios.
Last year for "plumber's bumpers."
Last year for low back seats.
Last year of the "classic Bugs." :-(

The Bug is now sold but I've added 1000+ links to Air-Cooled
Volkswagen web sites for your fun. The link button is 1/2 way down the
page.

Jim
http://www.ClassicVWBug4Sale.info/

Old February 13th 05, 08:57 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Jim" > wrote in message
> 1967 VW Bug Special and 1-year only features
>
> 1500 cc engine, 53hp. (1968 1600 cc went up to 57hp).
> Dual-spout air cleaner.
> "Volkswagen" added to rear deck.
> Squared-off looking rear hood.
> Rear bumper over-riders re-designed to clear new deck lid.
> Changed from 6 to 12 volt system in middle of year.
> Generator increased from 180 to 360 watts with change from 6 to 12
> volts.
> Voltage regulator now mounted under rear seat instead of on generator.
> Wider swing axles provide wider track in rear.
> Clutch disk increased in size from 180 to 200 mm.
> 130 tooth (200mm) flywheel replaces 109 tooth (180mm) flywheel.
> Dual master cylinder brake system.
> Outside door handle has round push button.
> Recessed inside plastic door handles.
> Two-speed windshield wipers.
> Headlamp switch has "parking lights only" setting.
> Back-up lights.
> Single unit headlights.
> Locking buttons on doors.
> Driver armrest added.
> Door pocket only on drivers side.
> Slimmer outside chrome trim pieces.
> Left outside mirror becomes standard equipment.
> Z-Bar added to rear suspension in an attempt to improve handling.
> 12 Volt sticker inside left door frame in silver/red.
> First year Transistor radios.
> Last year for "plumber's bumpers."
> Last year for low back seats.
> Last year of the "classic Bugs." :-(
>
> The Bug is now sold but I've added 1000+ links to Air-Cooled
> Volkswagen web sites for your fun. The link button is 1/2 way down the
> page.
>
> Jim
> http://www.ClassicVWBug4Sale.info/

a couple of your items are not one year only specific to the 67 and most
don't agree with your last part about "last year of the "classic
bugs"...most purists classify it as the first year after teh classic
beetles...i am not one of these purists...

Old February 13th 05, 09:19 PM
Jan Andersson

Joey Tribiani wrote:

> "Jim" > wrote in message
> > 1967 VW Bug Special and 1-year only features
> >
> > 1500 cc engine, 53hp. (1968 1600 cc went up to 57hp).
> > Dual-spout air cleaner.
> > "Volkswagen" added to rear deck.
> > Squared-off looking rear hood.
> > Rear bumper over-riders re-designed to clear new deck lid.
> > Changed from 6 to 12 volt system in middle of year.
> > Generator increased from 180 to 360 watts with change from 6 to 12
> > volts.
> > Voltage regulator now mounted under rear seat instead of on generator.
> > Wider swing axles provide wider track in rear.
> > Clutch disk increased in size from 180 to 200 mm.
> > 130 tooth (200mm) flywheel replaces 109 tooth (180mm) flywheel.
> > Dual master cylinder brake system.
> > Outside door handle has round push button.
> > Recessed inside plastic door handles.
> > Two-speed windshield wipers.
> > Headlamp switch has "parking lights only" setting.
> > Back-up lights.
> > Single unit headlights.
> > Locking buttons on doors.
> > Driver armrest added.
> > Door pocket only on drivers side.
> > Slimmer outside chrome trim pieces.
> > Left outside mirror becomes standard equipment.
> > Z-Bar added to rear suspension in an attempt to improve handling.
> > 12 Volt sticker inside left door frame in silver/red.
> > First year Transistor radios.
> > Last year for "plumber's bumpers."
> > Last year for low back seats.
> > Last year of the "classic Bugs." :-(
> >
> > The Bug is now sold but I've added 1000+ links to Air-Cooled
> > Volkswagen web sites for your fun. The link button is 1/2 way down the
> > page.
> >
> > Jim
> > http://www.ClassicVWBug4Sale.info/
> >

> a couple of your items are not one year only specific to the 67 and most
> don't agree with your last part about "last year of the "classic
> bugs"...most purists classify it as the first year after teh classic
> beetles...i am not one of these purists...

The Euro spec 67 had the early body while the US spec had upright
headlights and late bodystyle

Jan
Old February 13th 05, 10:58 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message

> The Euro spec 67 had the early body while the US spec had upright
> headlights and late bodystyle
>
> Jan

yes...we should indeed point out when stating things specific to the US spec
bugs..thanks Jan..

Old February 14th 05, 12:07 AM
Howard Rose

That's a great list! I thought you might be interested to hear about
the slight differences between the US-spec '67s and the Euro spec
'67s.

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:29:06 -0800, Jim > wrote:

>"Volkswagen" added to rear deck.

Ahhh.. this was "1500" for Euro spec! Or 1300 on the 1300, or nothing
at all on the 1200.

>Outside door handle has round push button.

The round button handles where introduced in March 1966... but the '67
style has a different locking mechanism to the '66 handles.

>Headlamp switch has "parking lights only" setting.

My '66 has this (as well as every other VW I know of). Maybe it's a
Euro spec thing.

>Door pocket only on drivers side.

My '66 has this.

>Left outside mirror becomes standard equipment.

First for '66 (driver's side)

Other interesting things on the Euro cars is that the 1500 model had
4-bolt disc brakes. The 1200 and 1300 models had the 5-bolt drums.
We also got sloping headlights, thin bumpers with no rails and no
backup lights. Hazard flashers were not standard either.

It always seem strange that the US spec cars never got the disc brakes
in 1967! After all, the reason most of these changes were done was to
satisfy the US safety legislation. Weird!

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old February 14th 05, 02:25 PM
Jim

Monday, February 14 2005, @ 6:17 AM (-0800 GMT)

Hi Howard,

Thank you for your additions! I would expect the euro models to have
variances. I kinda suspect, but am not certain, that UK models
probably had the steering wheel on the "wrong" side too? <g> My error
for not mentioning the list was based on 67's shipped to the U.S. and
Canada :-)

In regard items on the list that did appear on a few others, that is
why I mentioned in the Subject: line "Special and 1-year only
features"... Perhaps I should have used the word "differences" rather
than "special." Oh well.. May I be "tarred and feathered" and driven
out of town in an old eusty Suburu!

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:07:44 +0000, Howard Rose

Old February 14th 05, 04:41 PM
Howard Rose

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:25:51 -0800, Jim > wrote:

>Thank you for your additions! I would expect the euro models to have
>variances. I kinda suspect, but am not certain, that UK models
>probably had the steering wheel on the "wrong" side too? <g> My error
>for not mentioning the list was based on 67's shipped to the U.S. and
>Canada :-)

That's ok! I just thought it would be interesting to show the
numerous differences between the markets. You know, over here I know
a couple of people who have converted their '67s to "US specification"
just to be different. They kept the RHD though!

My car does indeed have the steering wheel on the "wrong" side :-P

Old February 14th 05, 05:21 PM
Dave Hall

Thinks, I wonder which side the stagecoach driver sits - can't help feeling the
USA simply lost its way between then and now, as to which side the driver sits.

--
Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club

Old February 14th 05, 06:23 PM
Jim

Monday, February 14 2005, @ 10:18 AM (-0800 GMT)

Hey Dave,

The stagecoach driver sat on the left, and that is because the horses
on the right side were always the ones with "weak bowels" and you
really did NOT want to sit just behind three horses running at full
tilt that had weak bowels. Kinda like sittin' on the ground behind an
elephant who just ate several large pizza's! <rofl>

This is most likely WHY we, way out here in the "colonies," drive on
the left. I think thats why the Germans do too, but in their case I
think it has something to do with sauerkraut induced bowel movement.

Jim

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:21:02 -0000, "Dave Hall"

Old February 14th 05, 06:29 PM
Jim

I drove a "right-sided" steering wheel Bug, on the left-hand side of
the road, around Kingston Jamaica. Oh Gawd! That was truly scary.
Left-sided steering wheels and driving on the right side of the road
feels MUCH safer. <g> Driving in Jamaica is just like driving in
Paris. Almost no (if any) stop lights and everybody just pounds on
their horns!