1967 VW Bug: Special and 1-year only features...

Old February 14th 05, 08:44 PM
Gaz Pike

Apparently the US are aiming to join the UK, Australasia and Japan in
driving on the left. To ease things in, they plan to have cars and bike
doing it on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, whilst truck and buses do it on
Tuesday and Thursday. The weekends are a free-for-all.

After 3 months, anyone still alive will then be allowed to vote, except
residents of Florida, to decide which way they prefer.

Gaz

Old February 14th 05, 09:04 PM
Malc

You should try driving a LHD car in London Traffic!

Old February 14th 05, 11:29 PM
Jim

luv it! luv it!

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:44:45 -0000, "Gaz Pike"
> wrote:

>Apparently the US are aiming to join the UK, Australasia and Japan in
>driving on the left. To ease things in, they plan to have cars and bike
>doing it on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, whilst truck and buses do it on
>Tuesday and Thursday. The weekends are a free-for-all.
>
>After 3 months, anyone still alive will then be allowed to vote, except
>residents of Florida, to decide which way they prefer.
>
>Gaz

.. .

Old February 15th 05, 12:42 AM
Dave Hall

Funny, E-bay photos of USA stage coaches (eg items 6140045560, 6153293224 and
6139075269)
all show right-hand drive, as do some other pics I found - I'm sure from the old
cowboy films the driver sits on
the right and the guy riding shotgun is on the left.

I think that bit about weak bowels was just BS. ;-)

--
Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club

Old February 15th 05, 04:54 AM
Jim Adney

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:42:58 -0000 "Dave Hall"
> wrote:

>Funny, E-bay photos of USA stage coaches (eg items 6140045560, 6153293224 and
>6139075269)
>all show right-hand drive, as do some other pics I found - I'm sure from the old
>cowboy films the driver sits on
>the right and the guy riding shotgun is on the left.

I gotta back up Dave on this. My memory is of the stagecoach driver
being on the right. Wasn't that where the brake was, too? I never
thought about this before, but that means that when we claimed
"Shotgun!" we had it somewhat backwards.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old February 15th 05, 12:17 PM
Dave Hall

Thanks Jim. Yes, outside brake lever like some early UK cars. It's curious
that the continental custom took over later - I blame the French, who after the
revolution attacked people driving on the left of the road as they were
obviously aristocracy. They also wanted the 0 degrees meridien through Paris,
but unfortunately the British charts were much better and everyone used them for
navigation, so it was a 'fait accomplis'. That was when as a sop they made an
international agreement to use the metric system, widely ignored later by most
civilised countries! ;-)

--
Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
news

Old February 15th 05, 09:13 PM
cloud8

Jim > wrote in
:

> Monday, February 14 2005, @ 10:18 AM (-0800 GMT)
>
> Hey Dave,
>
> The stagecoach driver sat on the left, and that is because the

horses
> on the right side were always the ones with "weak bowels" and you
> really did NOT want to sit just behind three horses running at

full
> tilt that had weak bowels.

Pity the poor guy riding shotgun :-\

Here is another explanation for driving right. The
rest of the article is pretty interesting. No sources
however.

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandar...ng%20on%20the%
20left.htm#history

In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road
because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent
societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred
to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an
opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced
the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.

Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse
from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to
do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left).
It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road,
rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left,
then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road.

In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United
States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several
pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver's seat; instead the
driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm
free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he
naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down
and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels.
Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.

--
Bill Merrill
Arlington, Mass.
Old February 15th 05, 10:06 PM
Howard Rose

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:13:39 -0600, cloud8 > wrote:

>Pity the poor guy riding shotgun :-\
>
>Here is another explanation for driving right. The
>rest of the article is pretty interesting. No sources
>however.
>
>http://users.pandora.be/worldstandar...ng%20on%20the%
>20left.htm#history

All interesting stuff! Out of interest, a third of the world's
population drive on the left, and two-thirds drive on the right. More
than I thought!

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old February 16th 05, 11:26 AM
ThaDriver

I can't imagine driving a manual trans car with RHD. No way I could
speedshift! (I always thought that's why we drive on the right)
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Old February 16th 05, 12:59 PM
Howard Rose

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 05:26:43 -0500, "ThaDriver"
<imangeloneAThotmailDOTcom@> wrote:

>I can't imagine driving a manual trans car with RHD. No way I could
>speedshift! (I always thought that's why we drive on the right)

It's easy! It just takes you about 10 minutes to stop "shifting" with
the door handle, that's all :-)

For me, in a LHD car, it seems odd to have the left (weaker) hand on
the wheel while you change gear.

The only LHD car I've driven was a Toyota Corolla in Spain a few years
back :-)