More Dangerous Chinese Tire-related Crap

Old July 2nd 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

Default More Dangerous Chinese Tire-related Crap

Front page headline in this week's (June 23, 2008) "Tire Business",
published by Crain Communications.

"Huge recall of valve stems is underway"

At least one fatality is being directly linked to the faulty valves.

More than 30 million Chinese-made tire valves are being "...evaluated".

These tire valves were sold by the "Tech International" wagon jobbers that
sell tire repair supplies, and "Dill Air Controls Products" - one of the
better known tire supply vendors.

The valves in question were made during a five-month period in 2006.

Inspection requires breaking the tire bead down to see the entire valve -
inside and outside the wheel.

When will the American consumer rise up in protest over this Chinese crap?

Old July 2nd 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Calab

"*" > wrote in message
> Front page headline in this week's (June 23, 2008) "Tire Business",
> published by Crain Communications.
>
> "Huge recall of valve stems is underway"

> When will the American consumer rise up in protest over this Chinese crap?

They won't.

What will happen is that the cheap Chinese stuff will go up in price to
match what else is on the market, and the high quality stuff will drop in
price to try and gain market share against the cheap stuff. Eventually it
will all be similar in price and impossible to differenciate quality from
junk without making the purchase first.

The problem is that the cheap stuff will do for most folks, lasting just
long enough to get the task at hand done. The quality stuff lasts forever,
so companies producing it don't make as many sales.

Old July 2nd 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"*" > wrote in message
> Front page headline in this week's (June 23, 2008) "Tire Business",
> published by Crain Communications.
>
> "Huge recall of valve stems is underway"
>
> At least one fatality is being directly linked to the faulty valves.
>
> More than 30 million Chinese-made tire valves are being "...evaluated".
>
> These tire valves were sold by the "Tech International" wagon jobbers that
> sell tire repair supplies, and "Dill Air Controls Products" - one of the
> better known tire supply vendors.
>
> The valves in question were made during a five-month period in 2006.
>
> Inspection requires breaking the tire bead down to see the entire valve -
> inside and outside the wheel.
>
> When will the American consumer rise up in protest over this Chinese crap?

As a Consumer, how would I know that some tire store installed Chinese crap?

Ed

Old July 2nd 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

C. E. White wrote:

>> When will the American consumer rise up in protest over this Chinese crap?

> As a Consumer, how would I know that some tire store installed Chinese crap?
>
> Ed

Its hard to know when a third party is doing the buying, but I for one
ALWAYS look for a "made in China" label on anything I buy, and
immediately try to find an equivalent part made elsewhere. I just told
the NAPA counterman "no way in hell!" when he brought out Chinese-made
brake rotors for my Jeep last saturday, for example. The unfortunate
thing is that its nearly impossible to find some parts made elsewhere,
and definitely for anything less than triple the price :-(

And worse, there's a lot of fraudulently mis-labeled stuff out there
too- cheap made-in-China parts in faked name-brand boxes.

Old July 2nd 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"C. E. White" > wrote in message news:g4g2g9
> As a Consumer, how would I know that some tire store installed Chinese
> crap?
>
> Ed

Sometimes it may not be easy, but it can be worthwhile to find out in cases
like this.

I dont buy odd name brands, for one. I stick with Michelin or companies
that (I think)
I know.

You can look for the "Made In XXX" stamp on the articles. Ask the store
representative.
Dont buy a pig in a poke.

A while back there was a big brouhaha about the Chinese tires that were
imported to the US
under certain quality provisions, and the Chinese changed the manufacturing
process without alerting anyone. These tires started to fail, and the
Chinese refused to take any responsibility.

This can be really dangerous.

Just before I retired, I refused to accept any product samples of chemicals
from China because they would not entertain our QC tests and specifications.
Fine with me if they
dont want to spec their materials, but I damn sure didnt have to evaluate
nor buy from them.

Old July 2nd 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
bill wary

* wrote:
> Front page headline in this week's (June 23, 2008) "Tire Business",
> published by Crain Communications.
>
> "Huge recall of valve stems is underway"
>
> At least one fatality is being directly linked to the faulty valves.
>
> More than 30 million Chinese-made tire valves are being "...evaluated".
>
> These tire valves were sold by the "Tech International" wagon jobbers that
> sell tire repair supplies, and "Dill Air Controls Products" - one of the
> better known tire supply vendors.
>
> The valves in question were made during a five-month period in 2006.
>
> Inspection requires breaking the tire bead down to see the entire valve -
> inside and outside the wheel.
>
> When will the American consumer rise up in protest over this Chinese crap?

We can thank all those "patriotic" american manufacturers
for putting their bottom line ahead of their reputation and
shoving their foot up the ass of all Americans.
We've given China all the industry and technology needed to
surpass us, and there's no stopping them, unless they choke
on the morass of environmental waste they create and swim
in, daily...

Since the U.S., no longer has any form of industrial
prowess, there's no way this country can recover from this
betrayal and years down the line, this nation will become
little more than a third world dictatorship..

Thank you for the new world order. It looks like were
almost last in line now...

Old July 3rd 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Steve > wrote in
:

> C. E. White wrote:
>

>>> When will the American consumer rise up in protest over this Chinese
>>> crap?

>> As a Consumer, how would I know that some tire store installed
>> Chinese crap?
>>
>> Ed
>>

> Its hard to know when a third party is doing the buying, but I for one
> ALWAYS look for a "made in China" label on anything I buy,

It's much more complex than that.

You can have a steel part made in Red China with American rubber
surrounding it. And you'd never know.

The carbon black in that American rubber likely came from China. And you'd
never know.

You can buy an American candy bar with Chinese soya lecithin in it. And
you'd never know.

That American-made bacon you had for breakfast this morning? It likely had
Chinese nitrite in it. And you'd never know.

You'd never know because the finished good is labeled Made in USA (or
Canada, which is the same thing).

Chinese-sourced food and non-food ingredients make up a far larger portion
of Chinese imports than finished goods.

Almost everything you buy has some Chinese origin, even if it says "100%
American made".

It's a little-known (except in the trade) fact that certain very cheap
commodities (vitamins, emulsifiers, vinyls, colorants, and many other
obscure substances) that are critical parts of American finished goods are
often sourced from Red China.

The funny thing is, about 99.9999999999% of the finished goods containing
Chinese components give nobody any problems of any kind. You literally
would have no idea because there is no problem.

Even funnier is that Red China labor rates would be climbing quite lot
higher and faster than they are if the Communist tyrants running China were
not so selfishly bent on preserving their own power, and if they were not
so willing to beggar their own populace in order to do so.

You can blame the Chinese Commie state-capitalists for greatly aiding
Western private capitalism. How utterly ironic.

--
Tegger

Old July 3rd 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> You can blame the Chinese Commie state-capitalists for greatly aiding
> Western private capitalism. How utterly ironic.
>
> --
> Tegger

That is somewhat true.. The American capitalists dont really give a ****
about
American laborers (if there are any left). They take cheap crap from China
and
sell it here and around the globe. And, they claim they have done you a
favor
for getting cheap prices.

Cheap aint worth a damn if you dont have a job and income.

Some of the Chinese pharma products have been disastrous. And we
still pay out the kazoo for them because the capitalists have price controls
to pay for "research". What crap.

This is such a complicated story that it cannot be covered in one or two
posts.

We are in a heap of poop.

Old July 3rd 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"HLS" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> You can blame the Chinese Commie state-capitalists for greatly aiding
>> Western private capitalism. How utterly ironic.
>>

> That is somewhat true.. The American capitalists dont really give a
> **** about
> American laborers (if there are any left).

Do you buy goods and services not made in your home town, or not on your
street? Then you don't give a **** about your home town or your street,
obviously. You are therefore contributing to unemployment in your home
town or on your street.

> They take cheap crap from
> China and
> sell it here and around the globe. And, they claim they have done you
> a favor
> for getting cheap prices.

What if there was a lumber yard in your town but you went to one in
another town because their 2x4s were cheaper?

Would you be a traitor to your town?

> Cheap aint worth a damn if you dont have a job and income.

If this were true, there would be higher unemployment now than in 1890.

> Some of the Chinese pharma products have been disastrous.

And some of the American pharmaceuticals have also. But China's problem
is its lack of freedom, especially press freedom.

> And we
> still pay out the kazoo for them because the capitalists have price
> controls to pay for "research".

What capitalists have what price controls? Only governments can impose
price controls.

--
Tegger

Old July 3rd 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Tegger" > wrote in message

> What capitalists have what price controls? Only governments can impose
> price controls.

> Tegger

Congress here in the USA, at the action of the pharma lobbies, have
maintained
a system which allows the pharma companies to charge exhorbitant prices for
medicine. We pay more than any other country in the world.

I have nothing against capitalism, so long as the playing field is somewhat
level.
In our specific case, it is not.