thumping noise during turns - not cv joint

Old April 1st 05, 06:39 PM
cox news

Default thumping noise during turns - not cv joint

I've got a 96 Accord that I've been fixing up for a friend that has a odd
thumping noise during left turns. I figured it was CV joint related since
both were blown on the outer boots, but the nooise hasnt changed at all. It
developed shortly after replacing the lowering springs that came on the car
with the orginal stockers. Visually I cant see anything wrong except for a
strut bar bushing thats cracked on the left side and a cracked front engine
mount. Neither are severe enough to be causing this noise (I think??). The
noise seems to occur on 90 deg left turns only while the wheel is
straightening back out. Rarely does it occur while turning the wheel left.
Noise isnt speed dependent and just sounds like a metal on metal clunk
coming from the engine compartment. I've gone over all the suspension and
all the components are tight and in good shape sans the sway bar bushing.
Any thoughts??

thanks!!

jeff

Old April 1st 05, 08:10 PM
gansen

Hi Jeff,

Please put enough grease on the steering stops. Or the steering stop is
already worn, in this case, please repalce it. Some steering stop has
plastic covering,

I just encountered this problem when I steered full to the left or right
some metal to metal noise is coming from the front wheels.

Hope this will help.

jansen

Old April 1st 05, 08:46 PM
cox news

I'll check those tonight, thanks. This noise doesnt happen at full steering
lock though, was yours the same way?

jeff

Old April 2nd 05, 07:06 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article <6Ef3e.21566$jX6.85@okepread02>,
"cox news" > wrote:

> I've got a 96 Accord that I've been fixing up for a friend that has a odd
> thumping noise during left turns. I figured it was CV joint related since
> both were blown on the outer boots, but the nooise hasnt changed at all. It
> developed shortly after replacing the lowering springs that came on the car
> with the orginal stockers. Visually I cant see anything wrong except for a
> strut bar bushing thats cracked on the left side and a cracked front engine
> mount. Neither are severe enough to be causing this noise (I think??). The
> noise seems to occur on 90 deg left turns only while the wheel is
> straightening back out. Rarely does it occur while turning the wheel left.
> Noise isnt speed dependent and just sounds like a metal on metal clunk
> coming from the engine compartment. I've gone over all the suspension and
> all the components are tight and in good shape sans the sway bar bushing.
> Any thoughts??
>
> thanks!!
>
> jeff

The ball joints may be worn to fit the lower ride. You could try
rotating them to see if the sound goes away or if happens in a different
location.