Tire Pressure

Old May 7th 05, 06:16 PM
John Willis

On Sat, 7 May 2005 11:40:46 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
scribbled this interesting note:

>"Lorem Ipsum" > wrote in message
>> I know it has nothing to do with this thread, but it reminds me of news
>> articles many years ago where people were killed inflating or installing
>> truck tires on "split rims". The rim or something exploded. What was that
>> all about?
>>

>split rims are as the name implies, split...usually two pieces but sometimes
>three..(center section and outter "beadlocks"...)....they are used on heavy
>equipment....very dangerous to the tire installer(can fly apart and severly
>injure or kill the person inflating/assembling them)....do a google search
>and you will have more than you ever cared to know, i'm sure...

They are usually dangerous only when damaged or incorrectly installed.
I know anecdotal evidence isn't statistically valid, but we've never
had any issues with the tires and split rims on our 1965 Ford F-700
dump truck. For what that is worth (which ain't much!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old May 7th 05, 06:37 PM
Tim Rogers

"John Willis" > wrote in message

> ...........snip.............our 1965 Ford F-700 dump truck.

...............So you do too know that Ford trucks are built Ford tough!
Aren't you one of the ones here that once said that chevie trucks are
better?

gotcha

:-)

Old May 7th 05, 11:32 PM
Joey Tribiani

"John Willis" > wrote in message

> They are usually dangerous only when damaged or incorrectly installed.
> I know anecdotal evidence isn't statistically valid, but we've never
> had any issues with the tires and split rims on our 1965 Ford F-700
> dump truck. For what that is worth (which ain't much!:~)

very much true John....but it can be hard to make sure everything is lined
up...some use wires to hold the bead ring in place and they can pop
loose....most people put them into a protective "cage" when inflating...too
much pressure can cause a Kabooom too.....i guess it could be said, as with
most things, when done properly all is "good"....

Old May 7th 05, 11:34 PM
John Willis

On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:37:01 GMT, "Tim Rogers" >
scribbled this interesting note:

>"John Willis" > wrote in message
.. .

>> ...........snip.............our 1965 Ford F-700 dump truck.
>>

>..............So you do too know that Ford trucks are built Ford tough!
>Aren't you one of the ones here that once said that chevie trucks are
>better?
>
>gotcha
>
>:-)

Depends on what time period you are talking about. Comparing a 3/4 ton
1972 Chevy to a 3/4 ton 1980 Ford, and I'll say it all day long that
particular Chevy is a better truck than that particular Ford.

In general, over the decades, I've preferred the styling of the Chevy
trucks to that of the Ford, although if I found a 1940 Ford Truck in
good shape at the right price, I'd buy it. Not sure if I'd keep the
original drive train. Might weld in a front clip from some Chevy
product and put a good, Chevy V-8 in it along with all the modern
accessories!:~)

How do you remember all that stuff about who's posted what so long
ago?
Old May 7th 05, 11:37 PM
Joey Tribiani

"John Willis" > wrote in message

> Depends on what time period you are talking about. Comparing a 3/4 ton
> 1972 Chevy to a 3/4 ton 1980 Ford, and I'll say it all day long that
> particular Chevy is a better truck than that particular Ford.

in a 1/2 ton truck i'd take a chevy anyday....if you need a one ton deisel
i'd take a ford powerstroke....had some bad chevy 3500HD with the 6.5T
deisel...blech...

Old May 8th 05, 12:06 AM
Tim Rogers

"John Willis" > wrote in message

> How do you remember all that stuff
> about who's posted what so long ago?

....................Us yankees don't never forget nuthin!

Old May 8th 05, 12:33 AM
JJS

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> in a 1/2 ton truck i'd take a chevy anyday....if you need a one ton deisel
> i'd take a ford powerstroke....had some bad chevy 3500HD with the 6.5T
> deisel...blech...

(I killed the killfile. Missing too good stuff.)

I pulled my landlord's old Ford 1/2 ton out of a ditch. He had three hitches
on it, so I figured it was made for towing. The bumper and everything behind
the differential came off. I was amazed to find it was all just a wimpy
little I beam.

Old May 9th 05, 12:19 AM
P.J. Berg

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Dan Smith" > wrote in message
> > i agree with you on the balloon being irrelevant, that was a spin by

> dan

>>>try and save face, did not work....BUT according to dan my tires should
>>>explode when i drive down the road...they have a MAXIMUM rating of

>>50psi....
>>
>>>and he says that you can never have more than that...i can gurantee you

>>that
>>
>>>when i drive down the road the tires heat up and the pressure goes up a

>>few
>>
>>>pounds...then add the weight and according to Dan i should be on my rims

>>by
>>
>>>now....
>>>

>>Bwah! ha! ha! ha!
>>
>>Now you're hallucinating!
>>

> are you saying you did not say the following:?:
>

>>Who are you trying to BS? Of course the tire pressure goes up as the load
>>increases. You're talking nonsense.

>>Since you don't think tire pressure goes up as the load goes up you
>>definitely don't know what you're talking about.

>>If I air up my tires to the car manufacturer's recommended pressures and
>>then I put 400 pounds of people in the car obviously the tire pressure goes
>>up.

> be careful before you deny it because google archived it....
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...1543213d?hl=en
>

> i wish to challenge it....and i suggest anyone that doesn't believe me when
> i say the pressure will be the same to do so themselves...its pretty simple
> to prove you wrong in this instance....and i have....
>
> picture one....my 68 type 1 with the tire jacked off ground(note Marlboro
> pack under tire for show)
>
> http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/temp/1.jpg
>
> same tire, now on the ground....at least that 400 pounds you speak of, yes?
>
> http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/temp/2.jpg
>
> rear tire, same car, same side.....in the air...same cigarette pack for show
>
> http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/temp/3.jpg
>
> same rear tire, now on ground....i'd say more than 400 pounds of weight have
> just been placed on it....
>
> http://bugadventures.dyndns.org/temp/4.jpg
>

>>If I air up my tires to the car manufacturer's recommended pressures and
>>then I put 400 pounds of people in the car obviously the tire pressure goes
>>up.

> as the mythbusters would say......"BUSTED"....
>

> now go **** yourself you ****-for-brains....are you Billybadass in desguise?

The realy sad part here is that is infact you who are wrong!! You are
simply not using an accurate enough gauge...

Simple physics.. And tire design.. Can you agree that cylinder
pressure increases when the piston moves upwards with valves close? Same
thing with a tire being loaded, but the walls flex more(Cylinder walls
flex too, just on a nano scale..)

Now before you go ranting and spweing more threads using swearwords and
name calling, just relax sit down and think about what I just wrote...

By the way, same goes for a baloon, step on it and pressure will
increase before it bursts, although on a minute scale..

You all have a good one.

Jørn Berg.
Old May 9th 05, 12:52 AM
Joey Tribiani

"P.J. Berg" > wrote in message news:M8xfe.3352

> The realy sad part here is that is infact you who are wrong!! You are
> simply not using an accurate enough gauge...

not true PJ....as i said i've had the training....and trust me tire
technology is not a "close enough" field....i do indeed have a racing guage
at the raceshop that reads on a 1/4psi scale...however its not necessary as
the guage i used shows the same result over and over...the numbers are
unimportant, the repitition is what counts... Dan stated the pressures would
go up, they did not...if they do not register on a guage that reads
infinitely even between the marked psi marks, then its not happening...

> Simple physics.. And tire design..

Key words "tire design"...this i am educated in...

>Can you agree that cylinder
> pressure increases when the piston moves upwards with valves close? Same
> thing with a tire being loaded, but the walls flex more(Cylinder walls
> flex too, just on a nano scale..)

sure i can agree with that and it is apples to oranges...a tire is *RUBBER*
and it is supposed to stretch and flex...a cylinder is not...the piston
makes the volume in the cylinder decrease, so the pressure *has* to go
up....not so in a tire....a *properly* inflated tire(at the minimum side)
will show no difference in the pressures when the weight it is designated to
carry(at that psi) is placed on it.....

> Now before you go ranting and spweing more threads using swearwords and
> name calling, just relax sit down and think about what I just wrote...

and you do the same...keep the apples out of the orange bowl...

> By the way, same goes for a baloon, step on it and pressure will
> increase before it bursts, although on a minute scale..

and i did state this....*initially* the pressure will go up when stepped on,
while the skin stretches...the overall gain is nothing....as i stated not
once, but several times....*I* am not the one in over my head here, i am
fully aware of tire construction(anyone here ever seen a manufacturing plant
and seen the stages a tire goes through? quite interesting...i not only had
that in training, but later while installing machinery in our local yokohama
plant(mitsubishi tire presses/autobookers/beadwinders).....) and have been
properly trained...my "theories" are based on this training as well as
experience, not "well if you think about it, it has to
do....xxx...x...x...x..x"..... BS is BS and i called it....PJ try the "test'
in your own driveway.... i did again today on my workvan...had the rear on
jackstands and completely unloaded....(around 1000LBS of
tools/equipment).....40psi in the tires...care to know what it reads *now*
that it is fully loaded again and back on the ground?

Old May 9th 05, 01:04 AM
JJS

> sure i can agree with that and it is apples to oranges...a tire is
> *RUBBER*

Tires haven't been made of rubber for a long, long time.