What is the record for an engine pull?

Old May 27th 10, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
VFW

Default What is the record for an engine pull?

I've never seen one , but I've heard they do two person , pull and
replace engine challenges. I believe they did it in something like 3
minutes. anyone?
--
Money! What a concept.
Old May 27th 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall

VFW wrote:
> I've never seen one , but I've heard they do two person , pull and
> replace engine challenges. I believe they did it in something like 3
> minutes. anyone?

According to one of the Samba posts the record for out and back in is 2:17.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285505
Old May 28th 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Thu, 27 May 2010 06:47:15 +0200, VFW > wrote:

> I've never seen one , but I've heard they do two person , pull and
> replace engine challenges. I believe they did it in something like 3
> minutes. anyone?

They are all bogus.
The car has been pre. prepped as in wires, cables etc. not needed being
disconnected. Bolts loosened, tinware loosened etc. you get the drift.
I would like to see a real engine pull on a 20 year old car being in
service the whole time, I guarantee you the engine would not be in and out
in less than three minutes.. Simply not doable even with two guys and
dedicated tools.

J.
(I am a fairly good mechanic myself if I may say so having worked on Go
Karts, mopeds, scooters, motorcycles, cars and racing cars(add a tad of
bicycles in there as well( even a few boats)).
Old May 28th 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
VFW

In article > ,
Randall > wrote:

> VFW wrote:
> > I've never seen one , but I've heard they do two person , pull and
> > replace engine challenges. I believe they did it in something like 3
> > minutes. anyone?

> According to one of the Samba posts the record for out and back in is 2:17.
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285505

Gawd!
But, I don't notice how long it takes me.
I believe the "Bug-Ins" sometimes have these competitions.
I think the rules are you drive to the start line , Take it out and put
it in and drive to the finish line. Penalties for bolts left off. etc.
I'll check out the site. Thanks.
--
Money! What a concept.
Old June 4th 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On May 27, 7:34 pm, VFW > wrote:
> In article > ,
>
> Randall > wrote:
> > VFW wrote:
> > > I've never seen one , but I've heard they do two person , pull and
> > > replace engine challenges. I believe they did it in something like 3
> > > minutes. anyone?

> > According to one of the Samba posts the record for out and back in is 2:17.
> >http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285505

> That is correct, Fred Simpson and Rand "Zubie" Foster did it in 2 minutes, 17 seconds. Starting gun goes off, go forward 10 feet, jack up the car, put it on stands, pull the motor, move it back 10 feet, then forward 10 feet and back into the car, the both team mates get in the car, start it, and drive it forward 10 feet, where it has to pass tech... what's even more amazing is that Rand and Fred came in First... AND THIRD in the same heat.

I have it on the old Super 8 film.
PS to the poster that says it was "bogus"... the car had to pass Tech
BEFORE the contest, as well. The accelerator cable, heater cables, all
4 engine mount nuts, and all wiring had to be intact, and tight,
before the contest, and after.
Yes, I was there.
Old June 8th 10, 11:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
VFW

In article >,
VFW > wrote:

> I've never seen one , but I've heard they do two person , pull and
> replace engine challenges. I believe they did it in something like 3
> minutes. anyone?

I didn't find a video on You Tube on such a competition. Help ?
--
Money! What a concept.
Old June 28th 17, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

It's true, Rand was a friend of my brothers. There was certain rules you had to follow. No butterfly nuts/bolts, all hardware and wiring intact. Car must be driven up to the line, and able to be driven after completion. Oh, the good ol days of early Cal look VW's.

Repost by request 1968 AMC AMX Craig Breedlove Speed Record Car 390 Engine (2004 CEMA) F.jpg (Giganews) 337333 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Car Show Photos 0 July 29th 07 04:01 PM
engine pull toughness scale 1 to 10 LLBrown VW air cooled 13 July 25th 07 04:42 AM
engine pull Jeff Barnes VW air cooled 9 November 13th 06 09:13 PM
link to record engine swap video JohnF VW air cooled 6 June 30th 06 04:16 PM
First engine pull Remco VW air cooled 27 February 10th 05 07:21 PM