2001 Grand Cherokee

Old April 11th 12, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

Default 2001 Grand Cherokee

Need some advice about my 2001 Grand Cherokee limited with 83,000
miles on it.

I purchased it new, it was demo and took very good care of it changing
oil ever 3000 miles. Also kept up the maintenance according to the
manual.

The place (not the dealer!) where I get the fluids changed recommended
that I consider changing to synthetic oil . I was told there is a
special oil for engines over 75,000 miles.

Anyone have any advice/experience about using or changing to synthetic
oil?

I am also wondering about how long the 4.7l engine is generally good
for. In the past in this group I have heard that GCs tend to start
needing expensive work soon after 100,000 miles.

Any experiences with long engine life?

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Old April 11th 12, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"Larry" > wrote in message
> Need some advice about my 2001 Grand Cherokee limited with 83,000
> miles on it.
>
> I purchased it new, it was demo and took very good care of it changing
> oil ever 3000 miles. Also kept up the maintenance according to the
> manual.
>
> The place (not the dealer!) where I get the fluids changed recommended
> that I consider changing to synthetic oil . I was told there is a
> special oil for engines over 75,000 miles.
>
> Anyone have any advice/experience about using or changing to synthetic
> oil?
>
> I am also wondering about how long the 4.7l engine is generally good
> for. In the past in this group I have heard that GCs tend to start
> needing expensive work soon after 100,000 miles.
>
> Any experiences with long engine life?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Larry

Most of the "special" oils for high mileage engines are aimed at non-roller
lifter engines (solid lifter or old style hydraulic lifters) and contain
zinc additives to lube the cam and lifter contact points ... actually,
they're just old timey oils with a higher pice tag.

I don't know much on the 4.7, but if it's a roller lifter engine there's no
need for the zinc additive.

As for longevity, keep it tuned, lubed, cleaned and don't abuse it and it'll
last longer ... simple as that.

Budd

Old April 13th 12, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

On Apr 10, 9:56*pm, "Budd Cochran" > wrote:
> "Larry" > wrote in message

> > Need some advice about my 2001 Grand Cherokee limited with 83,000
> > miles on it.

> > I purchased it new, it was demo and took very good care of it changing
> > oil ever 3000 miles. *Also kept up the maintenance according to the
> > manual.

> > The place (not the dealer!) where I get the fluids changed recommended
> > that I consider changing to synthetic oil . *I was told there is a
> > special oil for engines over 75,000 miles.

> > Anyone have any advice/experience about using or changing to synthetic
> > oil?

> > I am also wondering about how long the 4.7l engine is generally good
> > for. *In the past in this group I have heard that GCs tend to start
> > needing expensive work soon after 100,000 miles.

> > Any experiences with long engine life?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Larry

> Most of the "special" oils for high mileage engines are aimed at non-roller
> lifter engines (solid lifter or old style hydraulic lifters) and contain
> zinc additives to lube the cam and lifter contact points ... actually,
> they're just old timey oils with a higher pice tag.
>
> I don't know much on the 4.7, but if it's a roller lifter engine there's no
> need for the zinc additive.
>
> As for longevity, keep it tuned, lubed, cleaned and don't abuse it and it'll
> last longer ... simple as that.
>
> Budd

Thanks for that advice...

I googled Jeep GC reliability and came across what appears to be two
persistent problems....front rotors and something about blend door
failure that plague the limited. The front rotor problem I
experienced just after the warranty expired. Not sure but I might be
dealing with that issue again.

But the blend door issue, having to do with the heating system vents,
was new to me.

Other than those two things, I really could not find any other major
problems. Several individuals mentioned getting high mileage, in the
150,000+ range without major problems.

So your advice about keeping up with maintenance is on target.

Larry
Old April 14th 12, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

"Larry" > wrote in message
On Apr 10, 9:56 pm, "Budd Cochran" > wrote:
> "Larry" > wrote in message

> > Need some advice about my 2001 Grand Cherokee limited with 83,000
> > miles on it.

> > I purchased it new, it was demo and took very good care of it changing
> > oil ever 3000 miles. Also kept up the maintenance according to the
> > manual.

> > The place (not the dealer!) where I get the fluids changed recommended
> > that I consider changing to synthetic oil . I was told there is a
> > special oil for engines over 75,000 miles.

> > Anyone have any advice/experience about using or changing to synthetic
> > oil?

> > I am also wondering about how long the 4.7l engine is generally good
> > for. In the past in this group I have heard that GCs tend to start
> > needing expensive work soon after 100,000 miles.

> > Any experiences with long engine life?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Larry

> Most of the "special" oils for high mileage engines are aimed at
> non-roller
> lifter engines (solid lifter or old style hydraulic lifters) and contain
> zinc additives to lube the cam and lifter contact points ... actually,
> they're just old timey oils with a higher pice tag.
>
> I don't know much on the 4.7, but if it's a roller lifter engine there's
> no
> need for the zinc additive.
>
> As for longevity, keep it tuned, lubed, cleaned and don't abuse it and
> it'll
> last longer ... simple as that.
>
> Budd

Thanks for that advice...

I googled Jeep GC reliability and came across what appears to be two
persistent problems....front rotors and something about blend door
failure that plague the limited. The front rotor problem I
experienced just after the warranty expired. Not sure but I might be
dealing with that issue again.

But the blend door issue, having to do with the heating system vents,
was new to me.

Other than those two things, I really could not find any other major
problems. Several individuals mentioned getting high mileage, in the
150,000+ range without major problems.

So your advice about keeping up with maintenance is on target.

Larry

I have a bit of experience with high mileage engines as I was a forklift
mechanic for 10 years (oldest truck with original engine was 45 years old at
the time and was operated at least 80 hrs /week) and I've had five vehicles
go over 200,000 miles: a '65 Plymouth 225 Slant Six (400K) a '79 Dodge 318
(325K) and two XJ's (88-89) with over 330K each when I got them. plus I work
on small engines.

I do my own work, naturally, so I speak from hands on experience.

Glad to help.

Budd

Old April 14th 12, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

On Apr 13, 10:37*pm, "Budd Cochran" > wrote:
> "Larry" > wrote in message

> On Apr 10, 9:56 pm, "Budd Cochran" > wrote:
>

> > "Larry" > wrote in message

> > > Need some advice about my 2001 Grand Cherokee limited with 83,000
> > > miles on it.

> > > I purchased it new, it was demo and took very good care of it changing
> > > oil ever 3000 miles. Also kept up the maintenance according to the
> > > manual.

> > > The place (not the dealer!) where I get the fluids changed recommended
> > > that I consider changing to synthetic oil . I was told there is a
> > > special oil for engines over 75,000 miles.

> > > Anyone have any advice/experience about using or changing to synthetic
> > > oil?

> > > I am also wondering about how long the 4.7l engine is generally good
> > > for. In the past in this group I have heard that GCs tend to start
> > > needing expensive work soon after 100,000 miles.

> > > Any experiences with long engine life?

> > > Thanks in advance.

> > > Larry

> > Most of the "special" oils for high mileage engines are aimed at
> > non-roller
> > lifter engines (solid lifter or old style hydraulic lifters) and contain
> > zinc additives to lube the cam and lifter contact points ... actually,
> > they're just old timey oils with a higher pice tag.

> > I don't know much on the 4.7, but if it's a roller lifter engine there's
> > no
> > need for the zinc additive.

> > As for longevity, keep it tuned, lubed, cleaned and don't abuse it and
> > it'll
> > last longer ... simple as that.

> > Budd

> Thanks for that advice...
>
> I googled Jeep GC reliability and came across what appears to be two
> persistent problems....front rotors and something about blend door
> failure that plague the limited. * The front rotor problem I
> experienced just after the warranty expired. *Not sure but I might be
> dealing with that issue again.
>
> But the blend door issue, having to do with the heating system vents,
> was new to me.
>
> Other than those two things, I really could not find any other major
> problems. *Several individuals mentioned getting high mileage, in the
> 150,000+ range without major problems.
>
> So your advice about keeping up with maintenance is on target.
>
> *Larry
>
> I have a bit of experience with high mileage engines as I was a forklift
> mechanic for 10 years (oldest truck with original engine was 45 years old at
> the time and was operated at least 80 hrs /week) and I've had five vehicles
> go over 200,000 miles: a '65 Plymouth 225 Slant Six (400K) a '79 Dodge 318
> (325K) and two XJ's (88-89) with over 330K each when I got them. plus I work
> on small engines.
>
> I do my own work, naturally, so I speak from hands on experience.
>
> Glad to help.
>
> Budd

I remember that slant six, that engine was both reliable and
economical. Are they still building them?

Old April 15th 12, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"Larry" wrote in message

> [...]

> So your advice about keeping up with maintenance is on target.
>
> Larry
>
> I have a bit of experience with high mileage engines as I was a forklift
> mechanic for 10 years (oldest truck with original engine was 45 years old
> at
> the time and was operated at least 80 hrs /week) and I've had five
> vehicles
> go over 200,000 miles: a '65 Plymouth 225 Slant Six (400K) a '79 Dodge 318
> (325K) and two XJ's (88-89) with over 330K each when I got them. plus I
> work
> on small engines.
>
> I do my own work, naturally, so I speak from hands on experience.
>
> Glad to help.
>
> Budd

I remember that slant six, that engine was both reliable and
economical. Are they still building them?

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ha! What do you think? They were reliable and economical.
Damn near bullet-proof, too.
--
Old Crow
BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT

Old April 15th 12, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

On Apr 14, 6:16*pm, "Old Crow" > wrote:
> "Larry" *wrote in message

> On Apr 13, 10:37 pm, "Budd Cochran" > wrote:
>

> > "Larry" > wrote in message

> > > Most of the "special" oils for high mileage engines are aimed at
> > > non-roller
> > > lifter engines (solid lifter or old style hydraulic lifters) and contain
> > > zinc additives to lube the cam and lifter contact points ... actually,
> > > they're just old timey oils with a higher pice tag.

> > > I don't know much on the 4.7, but if it's a roller lifter engine there's
> > > no
> > > need for the zinc additive.

> > > As for longevity, keep it tuned, lubed, cleaned and don't abuse it and
> > > it'll
> > > last longer ... simple as that.

> > > Budd

> > Thanks for that advice...

> > I googled Jeep GC reliability and came across what appears to be two
> > persistent problems....front rotors and something about blend door
> > failure that plague the limited. * The front rotor problem I
> > experienced just after the warranty expired. *Not sure but I might be
> > dealing with that issue again.

> > But the blend door issue, having to do with the heating system vents,
> > was new to me.

> > Other than those two things, I really could not find any other major
> > problems. *Several individuals mentioned getting high mileage, in the
> > 150,000+ range without major problems.

> > So your advice about keeping up with maintenance is on target.

> > *Larry

> > I have a bit of experience with high mileage engines as I was a forklift
> > mechanic for 10 years (oldest truck with original engine was 45 years old
> > at
> > the time and was operated at least 80 hrs /week) and I've had five
> > vehicles
> > go over 200,000 miles: a '65 Plymouth 225 Slant Six (400K) a '79 Dodge 318
> > (325K) and two XJ's (88-89) with over 330K each when I got them. plus I
> > work
> > on small engines.

> > I do my own work, naturally, so I speak from hands on experience.

> > Glad to help.

> > Budd

> I remember that slant six, *that engine was both reliable and
> economical. *Are they still building them?
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Ha! *What do you think? *They were reliable and economical.
> Damn near bullet-proof, too.
> --
> Old Crow
> BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT
> '82 FLTC 92", '87 FLTC

Good point! That slant six would have been great in a jeep.

I am thinking about my former 91 toyota camry with a 2.0l engine that
actually got 40 mpg on the highway.

They know how to build gas saving vehicles using the old technology,
but they don't. Instead they throw all that new technology at the
problem making the auto more expensive, more complicated, more prone
to failure, very expensive to repair and, in the case of hybrids with
new battery technology, even dangerous

One reason I am reluctant to buy a new car.

Larry
Old April 15th 12, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

On 4/13/2012 22:37, Budd Cochran wrote:
> > wrote in message
> On Apr 10, 9:56 pm, "Budd > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Need some advice about my 2001 Grand Cherokee limited with 83,000
>>> miles on it.

>>> I purchased it new, it was demo and took very good care of it changing
>>> oil ever 3000 miles. Also kept up the maintenance according to the
>>> manual.

>>> The place (not the dealer!) where I get the fluids changed recommended
>>> that I consider changing to synthetic oil . I was told there is a
>>> special oil for engines over 75,000 miles.

>>> Anyone have any advice/experience about using or changing to synthetic
>>> oil?

>>> I am also wondering about how long the 4.7l engine is generally good
>>> for. In the past in this group I have heard that GCs tend to start
>>> needing expensive work soon after 100,000 miles.

>>> Any experiences with long engine life?

>>> Thanks in advance.

>>> Larry

>> Most of the "special" oils for high mileage engines are aimed at
>> non-roller
>> lifter engines (solid lifter or old style hydraulic lifters) and contain
>> zinc additives to lube the cam and lifter contact points ... actually,
>> they're just old timey oils with a higher pice tag.
>>
>> I don't know much on the 4.7, but if it's a roller lifter engine there's
>> no
>> need for the zinc additive.
>>
>> As for longevity, keep it tuned, lubed, cleaned and don't abuse it and
>> it'll
>> last longer ... simple as that.
>>
>> Budd

> Thanks for that advice...
>
> I googled Jeep GC reliability and came across what appears to be two
> persistent problems....front rotors and something about blend door
> failure that plague the limited. The front rotor problem I
> experienced just after the warranty expired. Not sure but I might be
> dealing with that issue again.

Front rotors on some models sensitive to ham fisted poor torqueing of
wheel nuts. Can be avoided by using a torque wrench.

> But the blend door issue, having to do with the heating system vents,
> was new to me.

The auto temp control system can be a real pain, and if it ever truly
goes bad and you cannot fix it yourself, quite expensive.

Best investment is the Factory Service Manual, which you can buy online
at jeep under the for owners link.

There are special high mileage oils, but 75-80 isn't that high.

Pure synth, or synth blend is pretty much a personal taste unless the
owners manual calls out synth due to engine design.

Old April 15th 12, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"Larry" wrote in message

> [...]

> economical. Are they still building them?
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Ha! What do you think? They were reliable and economical.
> Damn near bullet-proof, too.
> --
> Old Crow
> BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT
> '82 FLTC 92", '87 FLTC

Good point! That slant six would have been great in a jeep.

I am thinking about my former 91 toyota camry with a 2.0l engine that
actually got 40 mpg on the highway.

They know how to build gas saving vehicles using the old technology,
but they don't. Instead they throw all that new technology at the
problem making the auto more expensive, more complicated, more prone
to failure, very expensive to repair and, in the case of hybrids with
new battery technology, even dangerous

One reason I am reluctant to buy a new car.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also one of the reasons I quit working at the dealerships and bought a hot
rod and restoration shop way back in the hills.
When I started out at the dealer I was what they called a "heavy line" guy.
That meant I did engines, head gaskets, intakes, water pump, etc. 23 years
later when I gave it up, I was spending most of my day chasing squeaks and
rattles and trying to be an electrical engineer.
Sure is more satisfying to bring a rusty old hulk back to life.
--
Old Crow
BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT

Old April 16th 12, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

On Apr 15, 2:35*pm, Lon > wrote:
> On 4/13/2012 22:37, Budd Cochran wrote:
>

> > > *wrote in message

> >> Most of the "special" oils for high mileage engines are aimed at
> >> non-roller
> >> lifter engines (solid lifter or old style hydraulic lifters) and contain
> >> zinc additives to lube the cam and lifter contact points ... actually,
> >> they're just old timey oils with a higher pice tag.

> >> I don't know much on the 4.7, but if it's a roller lifter engine there's
> >> no
> >> need for the zinc additive.

> >> As for longevity, keep it tuned, lubed, cleaned and don't abuse it and
> >> it'll
> >> last longer ... simple as that.

> >> Budd

> > Thanks for that advice...

> > I googled Jeep GC reliability and came across what appears to be two
> > persistent problems....front rotors and something about blend door
> > failure that plague the limited. * The front rotor problem I
> > experienced just after the warranty expired. *Not sure but I might be
> > dealing with that issue again.

> Front rotors on some models sensitive to ham fisted poor torqueing of
> wheel nuts. * Can be avoided by using a torque wrench.
>

> > But the blend door issue, having to do with the heating system vents,
> > was new to me.

> The auto temp control system can be a real pain, and if it ever truly
> goes bad and you cannot fix it yourself, quite expensive.
>
> Best investment is the Factory Service Manual, which you can buy online
> at jeep under the for owners link.
>
> There are special high mileage oils, but 75-80 isn't that high.
>
> Pure synth, or synth blend is pretty much a personal taste unless the
> owners manual calls out synth due to engine design.

I appreciate that reference to the Factory Service Manual. I think I
will be keeping the GC rather than trade and the manual sounds like a
good investment! If the blend door problem shows up, I will just deal
with it.

Still thinking about the move to synthetic oil.

Thanks for the advice!

Larry