new(ish) Wranglers?

Old May 9th 12, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton

Default new(ish) Wranglers?

I'm starting to look for a used Jeep and I'm finding the four-door
Wranglers visually attractive. Does anyone here have an opinion or
experience with them?

Runner-up might be a Cherokee circa 2002 or so. Half the price of a four-
year-old 4-door Wrangler.

2nd runner-up would be an 06-ish Commander, stylistically as close to my
`96 Cherokee Sport as I'm likely to get.

Opinions, advice?

Old May 9th 12, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Four door Wrangler are nice but still relatively expensive in the used
market as well. Mind you there is an excellent aftermarket support for
them.
I think as far as bang for the buck, the Xj (Cherokee) is hard to
beat!
Cherokee's also have excellent aftermarket support.
The advantage of both the Wrangler and Cherokee are solid front axle
vehicles.
Whereas the Commander has In dependant front suspension and not too
much in the way of aftermarket support. In fact the only real lift kit
I've seen for a Commander is from a company called Jeepin By Al and is
not inexpensive by any means but Marlin does have a pretty good
selection of upgraded parts and accessories for the XK!
http://jeepinbyal.com/cat-Jeep_Comma...-2010)-61.aspx
Sure you can get a spacer lift for them but they are generally not
that great is you have a vehicle with high mileage and the suspension
is already sagged and bagged out.
If you do look at a Commander look for one with at least the 4.7 Litre
V8 as it gets better fuel economy than one with a 3.7 Litre V6.
The Commander is also available with the 5.7 Litre HEMI V8.

The other Jeep you might consider is the newer Jeep Liberty (KK)
Looks like a scaled down version of a Commander and is also quite
capable as an off roader despite what some Nay sayers have to say
about them.

Cheers
Ry''

On Tue, 8 May 2012 23:41:28 +0000 (UTC), Lee Ayrton