1600cc Dual Port at a glance?

Old February 8th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 1600cc Dual Port at a glance?

I'm hunting for a Beetle and unfortunately it sometimes happens that the
person placing the ad omits the "dp" from the ad.

Is there an easy way, by looking at the photo of the engine, to deterime if
it's a dual or, single port?

Thanks,
Frank

Old February 8th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Just look at the intake manifolds. The single port is a one piece manifold
with single "tubes" on both sides. The dual port is a 3 piece manifold (when
using the stock carb) and has double "tubes" going to the heads.

This is an example of a single port, notice there is just one tube going to
the head (the heat riser doesn't count).
http://www.i405.com/vw/stand/engine_alternator1.jpg

This is a dual port using the stock carb. Notice the red things with clamps
that keep the 3 piece manifold together. Also, there are twin tubes going to
the heads.
http://www.autoshoppingcenter.com/ge...uiltengine.jpg

This one is a dual port with double 2bbl carbs. This time there is no 3
piece manifold, but the intakes have twin ports.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/574016.jpg

Hope it helps,
Karls

"Frank" t> wrote in