Thumping Noise Over Bumpy Roads

Old August 26th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
teem[_1_]

Default Thumping Noise Over Bumpy Roads

I really hope theres nothing wrong with the suspension sounds like
somethings loose on the back pass side.
Old August 26th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Joe[_6_]

"teem" > wrote in message
>I really hope theres nothing wrong with the suspension sounds like
> somethings loose on the back pass side.

Probably time for a new shock/strut. Depends on what model you have I
suppose, but that's the noise they make when they are gone in some cases.

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?
http://tinyurl.com/5apkg
http://www.youthelate.com

Old August 26th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 16:45:50 GMT, "Joe"
> wrote:

>Probably time for a new shock/strut. Depends on what model you have I
>suppose, but that's the noise they make when they are gone in some cases.

I agree too that this is most likely the cause here.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old August 26th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Roy[_1_]

What year/model?
My 98 SL1 does that every time the bracket rusts off my muffler and it start
to bounce around. Not sure about yours but my muffler is on the rear
passenger side.

Old August 27th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
teem[_1_]

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 21:40:15 GMT, "Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca>
wrote:

>What year/model?
>My 98 SL1 does that every time the bracket rusts off my muffler and it start
>to bounce around. Not sure about yours but my muffler is on the rear
>passenger side.
>
>"teem" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I really hope theres nothing wrong with the suspension sounds like
>> somethings loose on the back pass side.

Christ! i went thru this same crap with a '95 Contour,after 3 years
with that,things started to happen,if the suspension is the problem,I
own a 2003 Ion Level 3 standard transmission,7 will hit the 50k mark
in about a day or so,
Old August 27th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
teem[_1_]

wrote:

>What year/model?
>My 98 SL1 does that every time the bracket rusts off my muffler and it start
>to bounce around. Not sure about yours but my muffler is on the rear
>passenger side.
>
>"teem" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I really hope theres nothing wrong with the suspension sounds like
>> somethings loose on the back pass side.

I swear the people they hire to patch ohios roads are morrons!,on the
way to work theres a narrow back road i need to drive on,this summer
they dug up for something then did a sloppy filling it.Then about a
monthe ago i was driving towards the spot,it looked different,but i
kept on going.BOOM!,there was a 3-4 inch drop into this dug out,NO
WARNINGS,NO SIGNS.so if the thumping turns out to be loose
strut,that's whereit came from.
Old August 29th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

I would first check the muffler. After the car has been sitting awhile
and cooled down, just reach down and grab the tailpipe. If you can move
the pipe up and down, chances are good that you need a new muffler
strap. When the strap breaks the pipe lays on the frameworks and will
make a deep rattle in the car when going over pumps or making fast
sharp turns.

When mine went the first time, I bought one at NAPA for about $10. It
lasted less than 2 years, again rusted out. The second time I went to
Saturn, twice the price but will last another 10 years like the
original.

James

Old August 31st 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
teem[_1_]

On 28 Aug 2006 18:43:42 -0700, "James1549" >
wrote:

>I would first check the muffler. After the car has been sitting awhile
>and cooled down, just reach down and grab the tailpipe. If you can move
>the pipe up and down, chances are good that you need a new muffler
>strap. When the strap breaks the pipe lays on the frameworks and will
>make a deep rattle in the car when going over pumps or making fast
>sharp turns.
>
>When mine went the first time, I bought one at NAPA for about $10. It
>lasted less than 2 years, again rusted out. The second time I went to
>Saturn, twice the price but will last another 10 years like the
>original.
>
>James

Good point,I've got an oil change coming up --again already--,& will
tell them to rack my ion & see whats what underneath.
Old September 6th 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

Try pushing down on the rear of the car while its stopped. "Bounce" it
a while and see if you can get the noise to re-occur. My 95 makes a
noise that sounds a lot like small thumps, but by bouncing myself on
the rear bumper, the noise resembles something more of a "slow squeak"
(if that makes any sense).
I believe in my case its coming from a rubber bushing that surrounds
the anti-sway bar. I guess it can be replaced without too much
trouble. I wonder if I could just "grease" the sucker so it'll be
quiet.
-WaV

Old September 8th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
teem[_1_]

On 5 Sep 2006 23:36:37 -0700, "wavy" > wrote:

>Try pushing down on the rear of the car while its stopped. "Bounce" it
>a while and see if you can get the noise to re-occur. My 95 makes a
>noise that sounds a lot like small thumps, but by bouncing myself on
>the rear bumper, the noise resembles something more of a "slow squeak"
>(if that makes any sense).
>I believe in my case its coming from a rubber bushing that surrounds
>the anti-sway bar. I guess it can be replaced without too much
>trouble. I wonder if I could just "grease" the sucker so it'll be
>quiet.
>-WaV
>
>teem wrote:
>> I really hope theres nothing wrong with the suspension sounds like
>> somethings loose on the back pass side.

The dull thumps occur while driving around 30mph,i tilt my headd down
to locate the ''noise'',the roads around here arent ''elevated bumps''
more like wide cracks that the tire really picks up on.like i said my
50k oil change is coming up.Too bad i'll likely pay for this,that
blows.