T1 generator stand

Old April 1st 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill[_3_]

Default T1 generator stand

I've worked on 4cyl Porsche motors for many years and wonder why on
these motors you can easily remove the generator/fan assembly while on
T1 VW motors it's more difficult, due to the fact that the assembly
must be lifted, as opposed to slid off as with the Porsche. The photo
of the typical Porsche stand (link below) shows the rear slots which,
when the front 2 bolts are removed, allows sliding away from the 2
rear studs (which remain in place). Any thoughts? I'm tempted to cut
some slots in an old VW stand to try it, but it seems that after all
these years and aftermarket modifications to these VW motors, there
must be an obvious reason I'm missing....different metals, etc?
TIA
Bill

http://picasaweb.google.com/WFBowen/...09670232814770

Old April 1st 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Usually the 912/356 engines don't have an intake manifold blocking the rear
of the fan housing since they are equipped with dual carbs.
And aren't the 12V generators of these Porsche engines smaller than the
typical air-cooled VWs.
IIRC the Porsche 12V generators are as small in diameters as the VW 6V
generators.

ups.com...

Old April 2nd 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Bill wrote:
> I've worked on 4cyl Porsche motors for many years and wonder why on
> these motors you can easily remove the generator/fan assembly while on
> T1 VW motors it's more difficult, due to the fact that the assembly
> must be lifted, as opposed to slid off as with the Porsche. The photo
> of the typical Porsche stand (link below) shows the rear slots which,
> when the front 2 bolts are removed, allows sliding away from the 2
> rear studs (which remain in place). Any thoughts? I'm tempted to cut
> some slots in an old VW stand to try it, but it seems that after all
> these years and aftermarket modifications to these VW motors, there
> must be an obvious reason I'm missing....different metals, etc?
> TIA
> Bill
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/WFBowen/...09670232814770

Even if you were able to break the strand loose like that, I would think
the long horizontal intake manifold wouls still be in the way and it
would not help you much. Interesting idea however, I am going to do that
on my next build. (Dual carbs)

Jan
Old April 2nd 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill[_3_]

On the Porsche, the forward (towards front of car) two studs stay on,
the rear 2 are bolts. From what I can tell, the threads are cut
directly into the alloy - no inserts visible. I suppose that the same
can be accomplised on the VW by just removing the 4 studs and
replacing them with accurately measured bolts. The beauty of the
Porsche version is that the two studs serve as a locating aid when
sliding the unit on.
Also, I see the point single carb intake runner - forgot to
mention that the 2 VW motors I have both are dual carb.
As for the generator physical sizes, the Porsche units (there are 2
12v versions-lg & small - and the 6v) they're very close in size, if
not exactly the same diameter on some versions. The VW alternator, of
course, is a whole different story.
Bill

Old April 3rd 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill[_3_]

> Michael :

The Porsche version does all for pretty much sliding the assembly off
to the rear. In this photo:
http://picasaweb.google.com/WFBowen/...nd/photo#50485...
the circled slot has the opening facing the front of the car...you
just slide it on until it stops
on the slot. The only tilting I recall is to keep the gasket from
sliding around too much, but it was never a big problem.
Bill.

Lucas c40 generator substitute (yes generator - ancient!) jj Technology 3 October 1st 06 04:07 PM
dissemble generator stand from oilbreather MIC VW air cooled 9 March 12th 05 03:18 AM
Generator /alternator stand MIC VW air cooled 2 February 13th 05 01:07 PM
What does BMW stand for? Somebody BMW 73 December 27th 04 07:39 PM
generator stand David VW air cooled 3 October 18th 04 01:38 AM