line boring

Old March 22nd 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Cletus[_2_]

Default line boring

I'm going to rebuild this 73 engine, in this beater i just bought. It
appears to have never had the case split. I'm down to the short
block, rods off. rod bearings heavy damage, copper showing on some,
but not all. Pistons were Nural brand, is that aftermarket? they
were dished style and looked not too bad. I guess my question is do
you guys just junk a case out of hand or line bore them and go for
it? Going to be a stocker, no a hot rod.

Old March 23rd 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

On Mar 21, 6:04 pm, "Cletus" > wrote:
> I'm going to rebuild this 73 engine, in this beater i just bought. It
> appears to have never had the case split. I'm down to the short
> block, rods off. rod bearings heavy damage, copper showing on some,
> but not all. Pistons were Nural brand, is that aftermarket? they
> were dished style and looked not too bad. I guess my question is do
> you guys just junk a case out of hand or line bore them and go for
> it? Going to be a stocker, no a hot rod.

have the case checked out by a machine shop, hopefully you don't need
align boring.

When you tear it down look at the main-bearing bores in each half they
should be the normal case color and have no dark discoloration or
galled metal. you may see numbers from from the back of the bearing
imprinted on the case. If any of these symptoms are present then you
will need to have case align bored.

check #2 main-bearing bore, wear shows up on this bore first. watch
out for spun bearings, in this case go with a new case. Either way,
have a case checked out by a pro to see if bores are aligned.

Btw this is out of "How to rebuild your volkswagen air-cooled Engine"
there is a TON of info on how to teardown, inspect, and rebuild.

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Volksw...4655059&sr=8-1

at $16 this is very good investment. heck you can even get it for
$6.50 used!

Anton

Old April 1st 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
badaztek

Definitely get it checked out by someone that knows what they are doing
there is alot of guys out there that claims they know what they are
doing and I hear and see the horror stories so find someone that does
reputable work on these cases ,best place to find them is to hit your
local shows and talk to the people ,they usually will help you out and
get you on the right track or contact this guy he will help you out
anyway he can www.vwbob.com,he is a good guy you can trust him .