289 motor rebuild

Old April 8th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 289 motor rebuild

I am rebuilding a 289 from my 65 fastback and I have a part I can not
remember what it is.
It seems to fit the crankshaft.
It is a thin metal round plate recessed and has a notch to fit the
crangshaft key. Seems to fit around the harmonic balancer. Does this
part go after the crank gear before the timing cover is on or with the
harmonic balancer?
I'm sure I will figure this out, but i wanted to see if anyone else
used this on their rebuild or know what its purpose is?
See picture.
[IMG]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/mb_stangz/DSC08053.jpg[/
IMG]

Old April 8th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Apr 8, 5:44 pm, ".boB" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I am rebuilding a 289 from my 65 fastback and I have a part I can not
> > remember what it is.
> > It seems to fit the crankshaft.
> > It is a thin metal round plate recessed and has a notch to fit the
> > crangshaft key. Seems to fit around the harmonic balancer. Does this
> > part go after the crank gear before the timing cover is on or with the
> > harmonic balancer?
> > I'm sure I will figure this out, but i wanted to see if anyone else
> > used this on their rebuild or know what its purpose is?
> > See picture.
> > [IMG]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/mb_stangz/DSC08053.jpg[/
> > IMG]

> Commonly called an "Oil Slinger". Helps to keep
> oil off the damper seal, and prevent leaks. New
> engines don't have it. Most people trash theirs during
> a rebuild.
>
> You could probably get one at the dealer.
>
> The trick to preventing a leak there is to install
> the front cover so it's square to the crank snout and
> not the block.
> Install the gaskets, and the bolts hand tight.
> Slid the damper on so the hub just barely enters the
> seal. Move thr front cover around until you have even
> seal compression around the circumfrence.
>
> --
> .boB
> 2006 FXDI hot rod
> 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92
> 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver
> 1965 FFR Cobra - 427W EFI, Damn Fast.

Awesome, Thanks for your answer! Like to see that 65 Cobra....

Old April 8th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Apr 8, 4:57 pm, wrote:
> On Apr 8, 5:44 pm, ".boB" > wrote:
>

> > wrote:
> > > I am rebuilding a 289 from my 65 fastback and I have a part I can not
> > > remember what it is.
> > > It seems to fit the crankshaft.
> > > It is a thin metal round plate recessed and has a notch to fit the
> > > crangshaft key. Seems to fit around the harmonic balancer. Does this
> > > part go after the crank gear before the timing cover is on or with the
> > > harmonic balancer?
> > > I'm sure I will figure this out, but i wanted to see if anyone else
> > > used this on their rebuild or know what its purpose is?
> > > See picture.
> > > [IMG]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/mb_stangz/DSC08053.jpg[/
> > > IMG]

> > Commonly called an "Oil Slinger". Helps to keep
> > oil off the damper seal, and prevent leaks. New
> > engines don't have it. Most people trash theirs during
> > a rebuild.

> > You could probably get one at the dealer.

> > The trick to preventing a leak there is to install
> > the front cover so it's square to the crank snout and
> > not the block.
> > Install the gaskets, and the bolts hand tight.
> > Slid the damper on so the hub just barely enters the
> > seal. Move thr front cover around until you have even
> > seal compression around the circumfrence.

> > --
> > .boB
> > 2006 FXDI hot rod
> > 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92
> > 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver
> > 1965 FFR Cobra - 427W EFI, Damn Fast.

> Awesome, Thanks for your answer! Like to see that 65 Cobra....

..boB,
I have another question. I just opened my head gaskets and they both
are exactly the same and they both have "front" labeled on them. In
order for them both to face the front on each side of the motor, I
would have to flip one (which isn't good). also is it normal to block
the front water passages on these gaskets? Do rebuilders drill extra
water passage holes in the gasket to fit the the heads and motor to
match?
-mb

pictures of head gasket-
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...z/DSC08099.jpg
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/mb_stangz/

Old April 8th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

Old April 8th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

The word "front" needs to go to the front.... because of coolant flow
through the block and heads.... The gaskets are installed unaltered.

Once you get the heads bolted on... look for the identifier tabs... these
are a tab on the gasket that protrudes from between head and block.... These
tabs were used during assembly line inspection to ensure correct gasket
placement and will both be sticking out of (IIRC) the front....

Old April 9th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

wrote:

>>Awesome, Thanks for your answer! Like to see that 65 Cobra....

> .boB,
> I have another question. I just opened my head gaskets and they both
> are exactly the same and they both have "front" labeled on them. In
> order for them both to face the front on each side of the motor, I
> would have to flip one (which isn't good). also is it normal to block
> the front water passages on these gaskets? Do rebuilders drill extra
> water passage holes in the gasket to fit the the heads and motor to
> match?
> -mb

Yes, that's exactly how they go on. Both gaskets
are exactly the same, just like both heads are exactly
the same. On one side the word "front" will be facing
up, and on the other side it will be facing down.
Some of the water holes are blocked to direct the
water in the right direction - back to front
The small holes are called steam holes. They don't
really relieve steam, as there shouldn't be any if the
system is operating correctly. They are there to
relieve any imbalance and keep the water flowing in the
right direction.

Here are some pictures of my car:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...4captioned.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...rt003small.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...Racetrack3.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...n/IMG_0206.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...n/RainStop.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...n/IMG_0502.jpg

Factory Five Racing kit, 427W, Dart Windsor Sr
heads, custom Ed curtis roller cam, Momar EFI 8 stack
system, Tremec TKO, 8.8 IRS with 3.55 gears and Detroit
TruTrak.
It's pretty fast. I was running about 1:45 at
Pueblo Motorsports Park last month. Then I spun a rod
bearing.
Going to La Junta raceway next week end, we'll see
how it does.

Old April 9th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Apr 8, 7:53 pm, ".boB" > wrote:
> Jim Warman wrote:
> > Once you get the heads bolted on... look for the identifier tabs... these
> > are a tab on the gasket that protrudes from between head and block.... These
> > tabs were used during assembly line inspection to ensure correct gasket
> > placement and will both be sticking out of (IIRC) the front....

> Not all head gaskets have this.
>
> --
> .boB
> 2006 FXDI hot rod
> 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92
> 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver
> 1965 FFR Cobra - 427W EFI, Damn Fast.

Factory Five kits are cool! ... one of these days....

Old April 9th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB

Old April 10th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
walt peifer

m...

Old April 11th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Apr 8, 7:15 pm, wrote:
> On Apr 8, 7:53 pm, ".boB" > wrote:
>
> > Jim Warman wrote:
> > > Once you get the heads bolted on... look for the identifier tabs... these
> > > are a tab on the gasket that protrudes from between head and block.... These
> > > tabs were used during assembly line inspection to ensure correct gasket
> > > placement and will both be sticking out of (IIRC) the front....

> > Not all head gaskets have this.

> > --
> > .boB
> > 2006 FXDI hot rod
> > 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92
> > 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver
> > 1965 FFR Cobra - 427W EFI, Damn Fast.

> Factory Five kits are cool! ... one of these days....

Thanks for the comments. I'm using 289 block/crank with the D0OE
heads. I need to figure out the compression ratio. I did research on
the D0OE heads and mine have 69 302 D0OE on them (see pic from
previous e-mail), but everywhere I research the "D0OE" heads are
always referred as 351 heads its hard to find specs.Here a link for
that data. http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...adcastings.jpg
Know much about this?
thanks
..Mike