Here's a secret for your VW Golf oil changes

Old October 9th 04, 07:26 PM
Kent

Jeez man, can't you stay on-topic? More importantly, why the heck do they
sell the good quality hot dogs in packages of six, and hot dog buns in
packages of eight? I'm fed up with buying four packages of hot dogs and
three packages of buns every time I want a hot dog, just so I don't end up
with unused buns all over the house. Don't whine to me about your half-full
oil and windshield washer bottles. The nitrites are killing me, not to
mention the exorbitant bills for ketchup, mustard and pickle relish. It's a
conspiracy, man, and I'm betting it extends all the way to the damn Oval
Office.

--
Kent
1987 VW GTI 8V, original owner, 221,500+ miles

> 2. Every car should accept an even number of quarts or liters of oil,
> depending on the units used in the particular country. When you change

the
> oil, you should be able to put exactly four, five or six quarts in,
> whatever, and that's that. I've got half-full bottles of oil all over the
> place. Go ahead and try to give me one good reason why a car should take
> 4.4 quarts -- but I'm telling you right now, you ain't gonna convince me.
> If the engines took a standard amount of oil, then oil companies could
> package oil in that exact amount. One oil container, dump it in, and

there
> you go. This should be obvious to engine designers. Good grief.
>
> 3. When the "low windshield washer" light comes on, that reservoir

should

Old October 11th 04, 03:04 PM
Brian Running

> Phooyee. Oil Filters should be put on, and therefore come off again BY
> HAND. Lube the new filter seal with some fresh oil and crank it about
> one quarter to a half turn past contact. Why people put filters one like
> axle nuts is beyond me. Same with using an air wrench to torque lug
> nuts. wtf.

If all manufacturers would make their filters easily accessible, that'd be
fine. It's not about torque, it's about the ease of turning the thing on
and off. 3/4 turn past contact is the same whether you're turning it by
wrench or by hand, it's just a hell of a lot easier to put a 3/8" extension
up through all the hoses, etc., to get to the filter.

> Now you're just whining man. 8D

Whining? Of course I'm whining! What's surprising to me is that a lot of
people responding apparently took it as something personal. You get all
kinds on Usenet.

Old October 14th 04, 03:50 AM

Brian Running wrote:
>>Phooyee. Oil Filters should be put on, and therefore come off again BY
>>HAND. Lube the new filter seal with some fresh oil and crank it about
>>one quarter to a half turn past contact. Why people put filters one like
>> axle nuts is beyond me. Same with using an air wrench to torque lug
>>nuts. wtf.

> If all manufacturers would make their filters easily accessible, that'd be
> fine. It's not about torque, it's about the ease of turning the thing on
> and off. 3/4 turn past contact is the same whether you're turning it by
> wrench or by hand, it's just a hell of a lot easier to put a 3/8" extension
> up through all the hoses, etc., to get to the filter.

You make a good point but if you put a lug on the end folks are going to
crank down on it. You _know_ this.

>>Now you're just whining man. 8D

> Whining? Of course I'm whining! What's surprising to me is that a lot of
> people responding apparently took it as something personal. You get all
> kinds on Usenet.

You did see the 8D smiley face, didn't you?

TBerk
Old October 14th 04, 01:30 PM
Brian Running

> You make a good point but if you put a lug on the end folks are going to
> crank down on it. You _know_ this.

Yes, I do. And I also know that lots of people already overtighten oil
filters, using all kinds of goofy methods. There's no accounting for
everyone.

> > Whining? Of course I'm whining! What's surprising to me is that a lot

of
> > people responding apparently took it as something personal. You get all
> > kinds on Usenet.

> You did see the 8D smiley face, didn't you?

I saw that, T. My comment was aimed at others -- believe it or not, some
people actually took the time to compose long, rude personal e-mails to me
about this. Up to that time, I had really respected this newsgroup as being
one of the sanest places on Usenet. "Sane place on Usenet" is one of those
oxymorons. Still a good group, though.

Old October 14th 04, 01:42 PM

You did not know there are nuts here? Haven't you heard the thumping
of fists on chests as testosterone laden teens and early 20's people
proclaim that VW makes the most excellent, fastest, most reliable cars
in the world and VW loves them? Don't forget the run on sentances and
lack of paragraphs and punctuation suggesting to much Nintendo time.
As if I can talk about good syntax.

Hey my smiley looks like this ;-) That 8D means nothing to me. 8-)
that means nothing either. Older guy that don't understand hip new
asci art.

"Brian Running" > wrote:

>> You make a good point but if you put a lug on the end folks are going to
>> crank down on it. You _know_ this.

>Yes, I do. And I also know that lots of people already overtighten oil
>filters, using all kinds of goofy methods. There's no accounting for
>everyone.
>
>> > Whining? Of course I'm whining! What's surprising to me is that a lot

>of
>> > people responding apparently took it as something personal. You get all
>> > kinds on Usenet.

>> You did see the 8D smiley face, didn't you?

>I saw that, T. My comment was aimed at others -- believe it or not, some
>people actually took the time to compose long, rude personal e-mails to me
>about this. Up to that time, I had really respected this newsgroup as being
>one of the sanest places on Usenet. "Sane place on Usenet" is one of those
>oxymorons. Still a good group, though.

Jim B.
Old October 15th 04, 12:48 AM

enjoy yore meel and DONT BELCH WHEN YOU CAN SAVE IT FOR A FART

T > wrote:

wrote:
>> You did not know there are nuts here? Haven't you heard the thumping
>> of fists on chests as testosterone laden teens and early 20's people
>> proclaim that VW makes the most excellent, fastest, most reliable cars
>> in the world and VW loves them? Don't forget the run on sentances and
>> lack of paragraphs and punctuation suggesting to much Nintendo time.
>> As if I can talk about good syntax.
>>
>> Hey my smiley looks like this ;-) That 8D means nothing to me. 8-)
>> that means nothing either. Older guy that don't understand hip new
>> asci art.
>>

>And then there's my favorite (I think I invented it) 8])
>
>As far as run on sentances and impropper punctuation and thinking VW was
>the Cat's balls and things like that that mean nothing whatsover in the
>grand schme of things we all know that VW loves us very much, esp VWoA,
>abd there are never _any_ problems w/ VWs and GTI is all caps, and
>Honduhs suck and damn I need to get something to eat.
>

>TBerk

Jim B.

Golf carb tuning?/ cutting out Jason Fox VW air cooled 0 December 29th 04 04:24 PM
Golf vs. GTI dmkozak VW water cooled 15 October 9th 04 08:25 PM
2 Door Golf TDI Mr.Eddy VW water cooled 12 October 8th 04 01:03 AM
Shifter rod damaged on Golf? Keith Murphy VW water cooled 7 October 5th 04 04:02 PM