Brake light mystery

Old October 8th 10, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeep Guy[_2_]

Default Brake light mystery

99 JGC. If I step on the brake pedal, both left and right rear brake lights
work fine. However, when I turn on the headlights (tail lights work fine)
and step on the brake, my left rear light completely goes out (both the tail
light and brake light are off). Any ideas on what's wrong?

I know it's a single bulb, but why is it tuning off?

Thanks

Old October 8th 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

Jeep Guy wrote:
> 99 JGC. If I step on the brake pedal, both left and right rear brake lights
> work fine. However, when I turn on the headlights (tail lights work fine)
> and step on the brake, my left rear light completely goes out (both the tail
> light and brake light are off). Any ideas on what's wrong?
>
> I know it's a single bulb, but why is it tuning off?
>
> Thanks

Short circuit in the wiring to the left brake light?

--
FRH
Old October 8th 10, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
PeterD

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 18:25:40 +0200, "Jeep Guy" > wrote:

>99 JGC. If I step on the brake pedal, both left and right rear brake lights
>work fine. However, when I turn on the headlights (tail lights work fine)
>and step on the brake, my left rear light completely goes out (both the tail
>light and brake light are off). Any ideas on what's wrong?
>
>I know it's a single bulb, but why is it tuning off?
>
>Thanks

Bad ground(s)... Check the left rear ground.
Old October 9th 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Jeep Guy wrote:
> 99 JGC. If I step on the brake pedal, both left and right rear brake lights
> work fine. However, when I turn on the headlights (tail lights work fine)
> and step on the brake, my left rear light completely goes out (both the tail
> light and brake light are off). Any ideas on what's wrong?
>
> I know it's a single bulb, but why is it tuning off?
>
> Thanks

Bad ground, either at the light sockets or at the grounding point in the
rear. It helps to have a FSM wiring diagram, which tend to be more
accurate than the typical Chiltons.
Old October 9th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ[_2_]

On 10/8/2010 11:25 AM, Jeep Guy wrote:
> 99 JGC. If I step on the brake pedal, both left and right rear brake lights
> work fine. However, when I turn on the headlights (tail lights work fine)
> and step on the brake, my left rear light completely goes out (both the tail
> light and brake light are off). Any ideas on what's wrong?
>
> I know it's a single bulb, but why is it tuning off?
>
> Thanks

Classic symptoms of a bad ground.
Old October 10th 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Gene[_3_]

On Oct 9, 8:28*am, RoyJ > wrote:
> On 10/8/2010 11:25 AM, Jeep Guy wrote:> 99 JGC. *If I step on the brake pedal, both left and right rear brake lights
> > work fine. *However, when I turn on the headlights (tail lights work fine)
> > and step on the brake, my left rear light completely goes out (both the tail
> > light and brake light are off). *Any ideas on what's wrong?

> > I know it's a single bulb, but why is it tuning off?

> > Thanks

> * Classic symptoms of a bad ground.

Short ciruits produce heat, smoke, fire, blown fuse and or a tripped
circuit breaker...

open/poor ground !
Old October 10th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Gene wrote:
> On Oct 9, 8:28 am, RoyJ > wrote:
>> On 10/8/2010 11:25 AM, Jeep Guy wrote:> 99 JGC. If I step on the brake pedal, both left and right rear brake lights
>>> work fine. However, when I turn on the headlights (tail lights work fine)
>>> and step on the brake, my left rear light completely goes out (both the tail
>>> light and brake light are off). Any ideas on what's wrong?
>>> I know it's a single bulb, but why is it tuning off?
>>> Thanks

>> Classic symptoms of a bad ground.

> Short ciruits produce heat, smoke, fire, blown fuse and or a tripped
> circuit breaker...
>
> open/poor ground !

Which could be inside one of the bulbs.
Old October 10th 10, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

"Lon" wrote ...
> Gene wrote:
>> On Oct 9, 8:28 am, RoyJ > wrote:
>>> On 10/8/2010 11:25 AM, Jeep Guy wrote:> 99 JGC. If I step on the brake pedal, both left and right rear brake lights
>>> Classic symptoms of a bad ground.

>> Short ciruits produce heat, smoke, fire, blown fuse and or a tripped
>> circuit breaker...
>>
>> open/poor ground !

> Which could be inside one of the bulbs.

Is it one of these types of blubs?
http://revbeergoggles.com/blub/

I'd be checking the wiring harness and any connectors for corrosion.

--
DougW

Old October 11th 10, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeep Guy[_3_]

"Jeep Guy" > wrote in message

Thanks to all for your help. Apparently this is a problem with WJs. The
contact in the bulb receptacle wears out or gets misaligned. The fix is
pretty easy although I have no idea how long it will last. I wonder if my
lights were built by the UAW stoners featured in that news story? That
would make sense. What is it with Chrysler? I hope they build a better car
now that they have all of my tax money.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2a7hal6