1997 TJ Sahara Ragtop bought new, still driven. Replacement? (See inside)

Old January 2nd 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
rock_bustin

Default 1997 TJ Sahara Ragtop bought new, still driven. Replacement? (See inside)

Howdy Folks,

I have a '97 TJ Sahara still going strong but mighty banged up over
the years.
2011 may be the year I replace it with- what other Jeep? Suggestions?

I have been over the web-site but I'm just wondering how Regulars here
feel
about all the choices out now that weren't there 13 years ago. It is a
Daily
Rider, primary vehicle for me. 3 kidz in college makes repairs few &
far
between over the years but it has served me well such as in last
year's
East Coast "Snowpocalypse"- It never quit and I was mobile when others
will still stuck in the Blizzard - Jeep! I could care less about GPS,
Sirius, or
other crap. My interior rear view mirror feel off a few years ago and
I've never
replaced it - I like the better view ! <grin>

How do recent Saharas, Unlimiteds, and Rubicons compare with my Old
Friend?

My Thanks in Advance,

Andrew

Old January 3rd 11, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

If you don't care about the latest and greatest features then why don't
you save some money and fix up what you have, 30+ grand for new, or 5 grand
and rebulid engine, tranny, diffs, another grand for a paint job and she
would be good for another 13 years. I hard wheel a 30 year old CJ7, although
there isn't much left of the 81 CJ anymore.
Greg

Old January 3rd 11, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Greg wrote:
> If you don't care about the latest and greatest features then why
> don't you save some money and fix up what you have, 30+ grand for
> new, or 5 grand and rebulid engine, tranny, diffs, another grand for
> a paint job and she would be good for another 13 years. I hard wheel
> a 30 year old CJ7, although there isn't much left of the 81 CJ
> anymore. Greg
>
> "rock_bustin" wrote ...
>> Howdy Folks,
>>
>> I have a '97 TJ Sahara still going strong but mighty banged up over
>> the years.
>> 2011 may be the year I replace it with- what other Jeep?
>> Suggestions?

Got to agree with Greg. I've replaced more than a few bits on my
ZJ over the years. ^_^

However, if you are in the market look for a "lightly" used Rubicon.
They have a good amount of stuff right out of the box. I'd sure
be looking at vehicles at least a year old, that way you still have
warranty and the first buyer has taken the bulk of any depreciation.

Me, I'm just waiting for the 2011 Hemi Mustang to be a year old.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old January 3rd 11, 10:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

"rock_bustin" > wrote in message
> Howdy Folks,
>
> I have a '97 TJ Sahara still going strong but mighty banged up over
> the years.
> 2011 may be the year I replace it with- what other Jeep? Suggestions?
>
> I have been over the web-site but I'm just wondering how Regulars here
> feel
> about all the choices out now that weren't there 13 years ago. It is a
> Daily
> Rider, primary vehicle for me. 3 kidz in college makes repairs few &
> far
> between over the years but it has served me well such as in last
> year's
> East Coast "Snowpocalypse"- It never quit and I was mobile when others
> will still stuck in the Blizzard - Jeep! I could care less about GPS,
> Sirius, or
> other crap. My interior rear view mirror feel off a few years ago and
> I've never
> replaced it - I like the better view ! <grin>
>
> How do recent Saharas, Unlimiteds, and Rubicons compare with my Old
> Friend?
>
> My Thanks in Advance,
>
> Andrew

IMHO, my '95 YJ turned over 300,000 miles on New Years eve, and I ain't
replacing her any time soon. Already added Sirius and GPS, so the new ones
ain't got anything I want.

--
Old Crow
'82 FLTC(P) 92"

Old January 3rd 11, 10:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Old Crow wrote:

> IMHO, my '95 YJ turned over 300,000 miles on New Years eve, and I ain't
> replacing her any time soon. Already added Sirius and GPS, so the new
> ones ain't got anything I want.

Besides that, if you play hard enough to really need the new one you've
likely replaced just about everything at least once anyway - only the frame
is really that old ;-)

Hmmmm.... sounds like how I feel right about now.

--
Will Honea

Old January 3rd 11, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

Sorry, frames been replaced with an 86 CJ one, think only thing from
original CJ is hood and dana 300 transfer case.

Old January 4th 11, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
rock_bustin

I'm grateful for your replies but it wasn't quite
what I was asking. My bad, try again:

How do the *current model* Jeeps compare
with older models in reliability, ruggedness,
features, bugs - if any, problems - if any,
Pro vs. Cons - if any ?

Most interested in TJ Saharas then versus
current models of Sahara, Rubicon, Extended.

*IF* you were to replace a '97 TJ Sahara and it
had to be a current model Jeep what compares
most favorably as per above?

My Ernest Thanks in Advance,

Andrew
Old January 5th 11, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore[_2_]

> *IF* you were to replace a '97 TJ Sahara and it
> had to be a current model Jeep what compares
> most favorably as per above?

I'm keeping my '97 TJ. The new ones just don't look right...
Old January 5th 11, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

rock_bustin wrote:
> I'm grateful for your replies but it wasn't quite
> what I was asking. My bad, try again:
>
> How do the *current model* Jeeps compare
> with older models in reliability, ruggedness,
> features, bugs - if any, problems - if any,
> Pro vs. Cons - if any ?
>
> Most interested in TJ Saharas then versus
> current models of Sahara, Rubicon, Extended.
>
> *IF* you were to replace a '97 TJ Sahara and it
> had to be a current model Jeep what compares
> most favorably as per above?
>
> My Ernest Thanks in Advance,
>
> Andrew

If you've got the $$ get a Rubicon (2DR). Then you won't have to worry
about, "Did I buy the best?"
Old January 5th 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
rock_bustin

<snip>

Hey Guys Thanks!

All the replies were helpful and I have an idea that the best way
into the future for my needs would be any of the following:

1. Keep the old TJ (fixed up)

2. New Sahara (2dr.)

3. Save for a Rubicon.

You pay your money, you takes your choices.
I don't think Extended would make me happy.

THX.!

-Andrew