2 Door Golf TDI

Old September 28th 04, 06:36 PM
Mr.Eddy

Default 2 Door Golf TDI

Hello All,

I was just browsing through eBay and saw a '99 2 door Golf TDI. Didn't know
they made a 2 door TDI. It seems now that I can only get the Golf TDI in a 4
door. Haven't checked at the dealer, but the online configuator at vw.com
only lists 4 door bodies for the TDI.

Was '99 the only year they made a 2 door TDI A4?

Were there any 2 door Golf TDIs in the A3 line up?

Thanks
Ed

Old September 28th 04, 09:16 PM
Mike Smith

Mr.Eddy wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I was just browsing through eBay and saw a '99 2 door Golf TDI. Didn't know
> they made a 2 door TDI. It seems now that I can only get the Golf TDI in a 4
> door. Haven't checked at the dealer, but the online configuator at vw.com
> only lists 4 door bodies for the TDI.

Imported from Canada, maybe?

--
Mike Smith
Old September 29th 04, 02:55 PM
Tom Flynn

Mike Smith > wrote:
> Mr.Eddy wrote:

>> Hello All,
>>
>> I was just browsing through eBay and saw a '99 2 door Golf TDI. Didn't know
>> they made a 2 door TDI. It seems now that I can only get the Golf TDI in a 4
>> door. Haven't checked at the dealer, but the online configuator at vw.com
>> only lists 4 door bodies for the TDI.

> Imported from Canada, maybe?

No, I think it is change in VW North America offerings...When I bought my
2000 Golf, there was no 4 door GL model, now there is...as I recall, the 2
door was available as 2.0 and 1.9TDI, the 4 door (GSL only) in 2.0,
1.9TDI, and 1.8T. They removed the 1.8T option from the 4 door after
2001, so VW does sometimes take away engine options. Sometime (maybe
2002?) they added a 4 door GL model. I didn't keep track, but sometime
they must have gotten rid of the 1.9TDI on the 2 door GL (guess there is
no 2 door GLS, need to go to GTI to get the higher trim).

Not sure what VWs thoughts are on this, except maybe 2 door = sporty (1.8T
and VR6 available on GTI, (plus 2.0 on the Golf) and 4 door = practical
(2.0 and TDI available, but no 1.8T nor VR6 on the 4 door)....maybe, but
some people don't fit this mold, I know people who wouldn't mind a 4 door
golf with 1.8T again, or even VR6, and like you, 2 door people who want a
1.9PDI or TDI.

---------
Tom Flynn
I speak only for myself

Old September 29th 04, 03:53 PM
Rob Guenther

Never seen this version (2 door TDI) before up here in Canada...

I've seen 2 doors with just the 2.0L engine (badgeless on the right hand
side) with the 1.8T (and appropriate logo) and VR6 (incredibly rare....
especially in a Golf up here, i've seen a few Jetta's with the VR6)

The 4 Door 1.8T seemed to sell not to badly up here, i've seen more of them
driving around then I do VR6 Jetta's. The TDI's definately take the cake for
sales tho, at least 1/2 of Golfs and seemingly 2/3+ of Jetta's are so
equiped... Tho no 2 doors.

Maybe when the first wave of MK4 Golfs, shipped from Germany came to North

Old September 30th 04, 06:31 AM
Matt B.

"Mr.Eddy" > wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I was just browsing through eBay and saw a '99 2 door Golf TDI. Didn't
> know
> they made a 2 door TDI. It seems now that I can only get the Golf TDI in a
> 4
> door. Haven't checked at the dealer, but the online configuator at vw.com
> only lists 4 door bodies for the TDI.
>
> Was '99 the only year they made a 2 door TDI A4?
>
> Were there any 2 door Golf TDIs in the A3 line up?

There were 2-door Golf TDIs but yes you're right...on the US site you can't
build a TDI 2-door anymore. On the Canadian one you still can.

I'm 99.9% sure that TDIs were available in all 2-door A4 Golfs in the US (at
least up until now if VW's site is correct). They probably weren't as
popular though as the 4-door versions I guess, hence why they're harder to
find.

For the A3s, there were no TDIs in the Golfs at all for the US...only
Jettas.

Old September 30th 04, 06:45 AM
Matt B.

"Matt B." > wrote in message
>There were 2-door Golf TDIs but yes you're right...on the US site you can't
>build a TDI 2-door anymore. On the Canadian one you still can.

This might fit into the strategy in Canada where they have a "CL" base model
as well as the GL and GLS. Here we have no CL...only GL and GLS. The CL up
there and the GL here are the lowest models on the totem pole, respectively,
and maybe VW decided that the lowest model (CL up there, GL here) will
therefore only have one engine (the 2.0)? Just a guess though.

Old October 1st 04, 04:13 AM
Rob Guenther

I can't see one spot on the Canadian site that shows a 2-door Golf with any
engine... I see the GTI, but that has only the powerful gas engines.

In my travels I don't think i've seen a current generation Golf with only 2
doors... plenty of GTI's tho....

Old October 1st 04, 04:25 PM
Matt B.

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
>I can't see one spot on the Canadian site that shows a 2-door Golf with any
>engine... I see the GTI, but that has only the powerful gas engines.

Try the spot where you actually build/price one.

Old October 1st 04, 08:51 PM
Rob Guenther

That's where I was.
www.vw.ca
"english"
models
Golf
Build a Golf
GL
1.9L TDI PD
Pick Colour
See the features
Pick options (none are for 2 door)
And the summary of my brand new Gold coloured 4 door diesel Golf with
plastic wheel covers and a cassette stereo (don't they have a CD player for
a $23000 car yet?).

They have 2 door Beetles and GTI... nothing else as far as I can see.

Old October 2nd 04, 03:24 AM
Matt B.

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
> That's where I was.
> www.vw.ca
> "english"
> models
> Golf
> Build a Golf
> GL
> 1.9L TDI PD
> Pick Colour
> See the features
> Pick options (none are for 2 door)
> And the summary of my brand new Gold coloured 4 door diesel Golf with
> plastic wheel covers and a cassette stereo (don't they have a CD player
> for a $23000 car yet?).

Weird. Have all Golfs in Canada now become 4-door models only?