Parking Brake on 99 TJ

Old July 15th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
silberj

Default Parking Brake on 99 TJ

I have a 99 TJ and the parking brake does not hold at all. I have
crawled underneath and can see the cabling. Haven't had the jeep for
long, but really need to get the brake working for safety reasons. Is
there an adjustment I can make so that the parking brake engages
properley? The cables all look intact, so any help would be
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John

Old July 16th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
silberj

Sorry I didn't mention, but my rear brakes are disc brakes. Any other
suggestions on adjusting?? Thanks,

Old July 16th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Doesn't your parking brake utilize a small pair of shoes inside the rotor
hat on the back brakes?

oups.com...

Old July 16th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

billy ray wrote:
> Doesn't your parking brake utilize a small pair of shoes inside the
> rotor hat on the back brakes?

They all do.

silberj needs to take the disc off and check the pads inside the hat
and the adjuster. Prior to doing this however silberj should sit there
and apply/release the emergency/parking brake about twenty times to see
if it will take up the slack.

--
DougW

Old July 17th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Similar: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/WJparkingBrake.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old July 17th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
silberj

So I can use the WJ procedure on my TJ then? Sure thank all for the
help!

Old July 17th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

The rear brakes have an adjustment on them that will make the parking brake
work properly. The parking brake cable also has an adjustment point on it,
but the rear brakes should be properly adjusted first.

If you need more direction than I have given, then odds favor you going to a
mechanic for service.

"silberj" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a 99 TJ and the parking brake does not hold at all. I have
> crawled underneath and can see the cabling. Haven't had the jeep for
> long, but really need to get the brake working for safety reasons. Is
> there an adjustment I can make so that the parking brake engages
> properley? The cables all look intact, so any help would be
> appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> John

Parking Brake Adjustment- 1999 Grand Caravan SE alanb Dodge 9 July 14th 06 08:55 PM
Parking Brake Adjustment- 1999 Grand Caravan SE alanb Dodge 0 July 2nd 06 03:30 PM
Parking Brake Brian Mazda 15 January 22nd 06 07:12 AM
Ford Contour and Focus, Mercury Mystique Parking Brake won't hold John Clonts Technology 1 January 25th 05 01:50 AM
Brake rotors already grooving [email protected] Technology 46 January 15th 05 03:42 PM