Door-open switch wiring? key-in buzzer wiring?

Old July 1st 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
john.d.mcc

Default Door-open switch wiring? key-in buzzer wiring?

Hello all,
I've got a 1996 Civic Hatchback DX.

I'm irritated by the buzzer that dings when the key is in and the door
is open.
I wish to disable the buzzer.
It may be that the simplest way to do this is to short-circuit the
door-open switch so that it is permanently 'closed'.
Can anyone tell me which wires I need to deal with, or should I just
remove the door-frame paneling and access the switch directly?
Alternatively, is there another/better way to disable this buzzer?

Thanks for your help.
John

Old July 1st 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

john.d.mcc wrote:
> Hello all,
> I've got a 1996 Civic Hatchback DX.
>
> I'm irritated by the buzzer that dings when the key is in and the door
> is open.
> I wish to disable the buzzer.
> It may be that the simplest way to do this is to short-circuit the
> door-open switch so that it is permanently 'closed'.
> Can anyone tell me which wires I need to deal with, or should I just
> remove the door-frame paneling and access the switch directly?
> Alternatively, is there another/better way to disable this buzzer?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> John

if you remove the steering column cover, there's switches attached to
the key barrel. on one side is a little contact switch with a small
black prong that goes into the barrel mechanism and that is activated on
key insertion. if you cut the prong off, it won't ding any more.

but be careful!

1. you'll be working in the area of the airbag.
2. this works for older vehicles, but you need to check that /your/
vehicle will still operate without this switch being activated. the ecu
looks for certain things to be present on start-up. i don't know if the
key sensor is on the list for your vehicle, but if it is, you'll regret
the mod.

otoh, just get over your annoyance. that alarm is actually useful if
you don't want to lock your keys in the car.

Door Open Buzzer Tim Ryan Audi 4 July 22nd 09 01:24 PM
Ignition switch wiring noobiedoobie BMW 3 June 14th 07 03:04 PM
wiring a signal switch in a 56 willys Alan Haley Jeep 2 August 21st 05 10:15 PM
Question on wiring of 97 A/C pressure switch [email protected] Ford Mustang 5 July 27th 05 12:45 AM
VW gas heater wiring for flame switch [email protected] VW air cooled 1 April 26th 05 02:31 PM