Some air-cooled fun

Old May 2nd 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Default Tail of the Dragon Crash - Was - Some air-cooled fun

"Bryan" > wrote in message

> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message
>>

>> definitely....but that doesn't change the fact that Bryan is a moron and
>> a hypocrite....
>>

> Yep, I AM a hypocrite, but I am not sure you can site a specific instance.
> But I am hardly a moron, I don't crash my bike on the street and brag
> about it. Ok, maybe I am a moron (your definition) but I am no squid.
>
> Bryan

actually your squidly behaviour is more prevalent than your moronic
behaviour...but i can see your confusion, since the two are so close....

Old May 2nd 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

"Bryan" > wrote in message

> Almost correct, my earliest RAMVA posts were close to 9 years ago. I was
> a regular for about 5 years while I did the 64 bug. I was around way
> before you ever showed up, but yep I've just been a RAMVA lurker for a few
> years now.

dude, i have been a ramva regular since jan of 96....get with it...

> And yep, the bug is a low budget "resto". When I learned that I was a
> very poor welder, I choose the "sheet metal / pop rivet / chemical" path.
> There was a regular on RAMVA, named John Connelly (not the aircooled.net
> guy). He had a WEB site dedicated to VW's mostly his oval window pristine
> restoration.

damn....for a "long timer" you know exactly ****... John Connelly is the
aircooled.net guy, and the site you are refering to belongs to John Henry,
and is dedicated to the restoration of his 57 named "Zinfendel"....

yeah, that was John Henry.... www.thebugshop.org

> Hmm, easy repairs? Not sure about the easy part, but yes I have paid a
> professonial. I've paid the best underground VW mechanic in PHX / Tempe,
> his name is Tony S. He builds my motors, does late model clutch and
> starter conversions, sources vintage parts, wiper conversions, etc.

everything you listed above is an "easy" repair/modification.... clutch is
an hour and a half job. starter, ten minute job, etc.... normal, easy
repairs...

Old May 2nd 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

"Saddlebag" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> highway patrol doesn't cause the problem...

> Yes, they are.

i think i understand that...not sure...

> No, it's pretty much everyone, because unless one has their cruise
> control set, no one is sure if they aren't running over enough to get
> cited when the donut funds run low.

not so.... my workvan doesn't even have cruise, yet i know if i need to lift
when i see an officer, without looking at speedo.... knowing your position,
speed, etc, is all your responsibility as a driver....i don't jam my brakes
when i see an officer, why does everyone else? that is actually the worst
thing to do.... that shows not only you are guilty, but you KNOW IT.....
then you deserve the ticket.... no two ways about it... willfully break the
law you deserve it if you get caught....

Old May 2nd 06, 11:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

On 1 May 2006 18:59:47 -0700, "Saddlebag" > wrote:

>Joey Tribiani wrote:
>> "Saddlebag" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>> >I'm all for the fun, but I can hardly believe this is coming from the
>> >same guy who was ready to dismember me for riding with traffic at 15 or
>> >20 mph over posted speed limits on a Virginia highway.

>> not so....my interest in that topic was more to do with you feeling like
>> speeding is pretty much okay when on a bike, and cops are wrong for writing
>> speeding tickets....all about personal responsibility...didn't you mention
>> that same thing(personal responsibility) in another thread?

>What is irresponsible about disregarding an arbitrary law? I don't
>wreck or cause others to wreck by doing so. Your friend T OTOH...
>
>Cops hiding over the crest of hills also cause people to suddenly get
>on their brakes to avoid having to pay the gubment another goddamn tax
>do cause awfully precarious traffic situations. If I was king I'd make
>them all go find productive work.
>
>If exceeding 65 mph is so damn dangerous, how come everyone in Germany
>isn't dead yet?

Because we are required to actually learn how to operate a vehicle =)

Be it car or motorcycle, you have to show you can control the vehicle
at 80-100 miles an hour before anyone will even consider giving you a
license.

Old May 2nd 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Not replying to anyone in particular. I haven't even read all of the
replies yet. HO HO HO! Some of y'all are funny. Squid? I've been
riding for 18 years so far. I'll be sure to post up before I head out
there again and would love to see Bryan up there so I could school him
on The Dragon. Sure I wasn't leaning far when I was scraping some. It
was funny to see the looks on the sport bike riders' faces in their
mirrors as I was catching up to them and then passing them. The
scraping noises un-nerved them I guess. Yeah, I got in over my head
this time. I just kept going faster and faster until I found my limit.
After that I backed off a little and things smoothed out even more and
I was able to go even faster. Before you flap your gums about The
Dragon and how I'm a squid, etc, maybe you should get your ass up there
and run it a few times. You might be surprised how fast I could hand
you your ass out there. Talk it up now. :-) I will post before my
next trip like I said and invite Bryan to come up there so we can ride
together. I mean at least we'll ride together for the first 20 seconds
or so but then I'll wait for him at the end of the Dragon to give him
some pointers. With the exhaust system I'll have next time and the
extra clearance I'll be running, I should be able to go even a little
bit faster. I'm gonna try to make it there again before this riding
season is out. Stay tuned. :-D

Old May 2nd 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

"Shag" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I'm gonna try to make it there again before this riding
> season is out. Stay tuned. :-D

let me know shag....I didn't make it this time, but i'd love to come ride
with you and Bryan...

Old May 2nd 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Stephan Rose wrote:

> On 1 May 2006 18:59:47 -0700, "Saddlebag" > wrote:
>

>>Joey Tribiani wrote:
>>
>>>"Saddlebag" > wrote in message
egroups.com...

>>>not so....my interest in that topic was more to do with you feeling like
>>>speeding is pretty much okay when on a bike, and cops are wrong for writing
>>>speeding tickets....all about personal responsibility...didn't you mention
>>>that same thing(personal responsibility) in another thread?

>>What is irresponsible about disregarding an arbitrary law? I don't
>>wreck or cause others to wreck by doing so. Your friend T OTOH...
>>
>>Cops hiding over the crest of hills also cause people to suddenly get
>>on their brakes to avoid having to pay the gubment another goddamn tax
>>do cause awfully precarious traffic situations. If I was king I'd make
>>them all go find productive work.
>>
>>If exceeding 65 mph is so damn dangerous, how come everyone in Germany
>>isn't dead yet?

> Because we are required to actually learn how to operate a vehicle =)
>
> Be it car or motorcycle, you have to show you can control the vehicle
> at 80-100 miles an hour before anyone will even consider giving you a
> license.

Same here.. driver's education is around 1.5-2 grand (Yes that's
THOUSAND dollars) takes a couple of months... weeks of classroom
training and written tests, and instructor led driving hours, and a
final exam in writing.. THEn you have to go to a driving test where they
make you drive around for an hour or more in various traffic conditions,
and make note of every mistake you make.. you are allowed TWO. Failure
leads to extra theory classes and another driving test ($$$$$$).
Then after you've had your license for about a year or so, you have to
take the "slippery road" courses and driving test ion a closed track,
either water covered ice in the winter, or vegetable oil covered
asphalt/steel in the summer. Lots of braking tests, slalom, cornering...
THEN you get your final DL. $2000 and over a year into the process.

Jan

Old May 2nd 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Jan Andersson wrote:

> Same here.. driver's education is around 1.5-2 grand (Yes that's
> THOUSAND dollars) takes a couple of months... weeks of classroom
> training and written tests, and instructor led driving hours, and a
> final exam in writing.. THEn you have to go to a driving test where they
> make you drive around for an hour or more in various traffic conditions,
> and make note of every mistake you make.. you are allowed TWO. Failure
> leads to extra theory classes and another driving test ($$$$$$).
> Then after you've had your license for about a year or so, you have to
> take the "slippery road" courses and driving test ion a closed track,
> either water covered ice in the winter, or vegetable oil covered
> asphalt/steel in the summer. Lots of braking tests, slalom, cornering...
> THEN you get your final DL. $2000 and over a year into the process.
>
> Jan

Oh yea, and OF COURSE you can't do the driving test with an automatic.
Has to be manual transmission.

Jan

Old May 2nd 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

On Tue, 02 May 2006 23:49:11 +0300, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

>Jan Andersson wrote:
>

>> Same here.. driver's education is around 1.5-2 grand (Yes that's
>> THOUSAND dollars) takes a couple of months... weeks of classroom
>> training and written tests, and instructor led driving hours, and a
>> final exam in writing.. THEn you have to go to a driving test where they
>> make you drive around for an hour or more in various traffic conditions,
>> and make note of every mistake you make.. you are allowed TWO. Failure
>> leads to extra theory classes and another driving test ($$$$$$).
>> Then after you've had your license for about a year or so, you have to
>> take the "slippery road" courses and driving test ion a closed track,
>> either water covered ice in the winter, or vegetable oil covered
>> asphalt/steel in the summer. Lots of braking tests, slalom, cornering...
>> THEN you get your final DL. $2000 and over a year into the process.
>>
>> Jan

>Oh yea, and OF COURSE you can't do the driving test with an automatic.
>Has to be manual transmission.

All manual transmissions here as well, I don't think the driving
school even owns a car with an automatic transmission.

Though damn, wherever you live, you are even tougher than we are here
in Germany. It's pretty tough here but not *that* tough =)

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6
Old May 2nd 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Stephan Rose wrote:

> On Tue, 02 May 2006 23:49:11 +0300, Jan Andersson
> > wrote:
>

>>Jan Andersson wrote:
>>

>>>Same here.. driver's education is around 1.5-2 grand (Yes that's
>>>THOUSAND dollars) takes a couple of months... weeks of classroom
>>>training and written tests, and instructor led driving hours, and a
>>>final exam in writing.. THEn you have to go to a driving test where they
>>>make you drive around for an hour or more in various traffic conditions,
>>>and make note of every mistake you make.. you are allowed TWO. Failure
>>>leads to extra theory classes and another driving test ($$$$$$).
>>>Then after you've had your license for about a year or so, you have to
>>>take the "slippery road" courses and driving test ion a closed track,
>>>either water covered ice in the winter, or vegetable oil covered
>>>asphalt/steel in the summer. Lots of braking tests, slalom, cornering...
>>>THEN you get your final DL. $2000 and over a year into the process.
>>>
>>>Jan

>>Oh yea, and OF COURSE you can't do the driving test with an automatic.
>>Has to be manual transmission.

> All manual transmissions here as well, I don't think the driving
> school even owns a car with an automatic transmission.
>
> Though damn, wherever you live, you are even tougher than we are here
> in Germany. It's pretty tough here but not *that* tough =)
>
> --
> Stephan
> 2003 Yamaha R6

I live in Finland But not for long.