The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Old August 24th 15, 02:02 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Left Foot Braking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:48:37 -0600, (Neill
Massello) wrote:

>Stormin Mormon > wrote:
>
>> Does braking with the left foot increase the
>> risk of accidents?

>In a panic situation, do left-foot brakers tend to mash down both pedals
>(brake and throttle) at the same time?

Some definitely do.
Left foot braking is generally hard on brakes,
One car I drove for a few months pretty well REQUIRED left foot
braking, or the car would stall at intersections. Replacing the
dash-pot solved that problem.

Old August 24th 15, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 11:22:30 -0400, "Mayayana"
> wrote:

>| > every color. The problem: It's impossible to tell where an
>| > emergency vehicle is going. Even if they use turn signals,
>| > there's no time to figure out which lights on this high-speed,
>| > psychedelic Christmas tree are signalling.
>|
>| I've always been taught to pull over and get out of the way.
>| So, I really don't *care* which way the vehicle is headed
>| until he's long past my location! :>
>|
>| Apparently, the lights are necessary because so many drivers
>| "zone out"
>
> OK. I come up to a stop sign on a narrow road
>and see a fire truck approaching from the left.
>It has reasonable, red flashing lights and the driver
>is signaling a right turn with a single yellow flasher.
>
> As a responsible citizen I pull forward, around the
>corner and out of the way, so the truck can make
>the turn.
>
> You approach the same intersection. You view
>yourself as a dumb consumer who's supposed to stay
>out of the way of Very Official Vehicles and not
>try to think for yourself. You see a fire truck approaching
>from the left with lights every which way. The dizzying
>number of lights is proof of just how important and
>official this truck is. (And it's not lost on the boyish
>firemen, who are oh so puffed up to be riding on their
>fancy truck.) Where are they going? None of your
>business. Who could tell, anyway, with all those lights?
>You freeze, dutifully waiting for the officiality parade
>to pass by. The fire truck pauses mid-intersection.
>You wait. Finally the fire truck driver begins honking.
>What do you do? Is he trying to turn right? Are you in
>the way? Who knows? All of his signal lights are flashing!
>But he seems to be waiting. You've been told not to
>proceed during an officiality event, so you try to back
>up. The fire truck finally makes the corner. As it turns
>out, two cats and a dog died in the fire because the
>firemen were late arriving. You broke your rear axle
>trying to back up onto a curb. But at least you didn't
>make trouble by trying to think for yourself.
>
> At the next town meeting someone suggests that these
>dumbass consumers need to see *more* lights on
>Very Official Vehicles. Case in point: The pets that died
>in last month's fire while a fire truck waited at an
>intersection. All agree to order one of those giant
>anti-aircraft spotlights that car dealers use to advertise
>sales. *That* should fix those dumbass consumers!
>Well... Maybe we should order two, one white and one
>red....

I was on vacation in some strange town in CA on a two lane each way
street, at a stop light that was red, in the dedicated left turn lane
with a median on the left, all the lanes to the right full of cars.
Cop comes up behind turns on his lights, siren, starts honking. This
goes on for many many seconds. What's he want me to do? It's a
frigging red light, there is cross traffic. I finally saw a chance to
move out without getting killed and did and he went zooming thru.
****ed me off. Had I gotten into an accident due to this dumb ass
essentially forcing me into the intersection you know the city would
NOT have paid for a thing and most likely would have disclaimed they
were even involved. Typical gvt situation. I'd like to drown them
all.
Old August 24th 15, 02:07 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 08:37:38 -0400, Stormin Mormon
> wrote:

>On 8/22/2015 7:19 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> It's been less than a week and we're almost up to 500 messages. Should
>> I start a "left foot braking thread"???
>>

>> On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 06:10:23 +0000 (UTC), ceg
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?
>>>
>>> The Fermi Paradox is essentially a situation where we "assume" something
>>> that "seems obvious"; but, if that assumption is true, then something else
>>> "should" be happening. But it's not.
>>>
>>> Hence, the paradox.
>>>

>>> Such is the cellphone paradox.

>Does braking with the left foot increase the
>risk of accidents?

Depends. Is the person left foot braking skilled at it? However,
knowing that would only let us speculate since there is zero data.
Speculatively, a skilled left foot braker will have less accidents
because they have, on average, shorter perception-reaction-braking
times then a right foot braker.
Old August 24th 15, 02:10 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 09:13:20 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" >
wrote:

>Per Stormin Mormon:
>>Does braking with the left foot increase the
>>risk of accidents?

>From what little I have read, there is disagreement on the answer.
>
>The traditional answer is that left-foot braking is, somehow, less safe.
>
>I can't remember the term-of-art for it, but there is a recognized cause
>of accidents that consists of the driver stepping on the accelerator
>when they were trying to step on the brake.

A driver that ALWAYS uses the right foot to Brake and Accelerate is
the one most likely to use that right foot on the wrong pedal. Someone
who is skilled at left foot braking is far less likely to try to push
the accelerator with the right foot with the intention of braking.
I'm sure there are always exceptions.

Old August 24th 15, 02:16 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Dean Hoffman[_5_]

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 07:37:38 -0500, Stormin Mormon >
wrote:

> Does braking with the left foot increase the
> risk of accidents?

Didn't Toyota make some claims about that? There was a recall for
driver side carpets if I remember correctly.

Old August 24th 15, 07:00 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 08/23/2015 02:58 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 14:53:16 -0500, The Real Bev >
> wrote:
>
>> On 08/23/2015 12:40 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
>>> On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 07:37:38 -0500, Stormin Mormon

>>> Three on the tree? Four on the floor? One down, four up?

>> European or Japanese?
>>

> I got to ride a Norton once, long ago. I think there was some
> odd critter with an actual hand gear shift.

And then there was the Harley suicide clutch...

For a while I rode a 1960 Ducati street bike and a 196x Honda dirtbike.
Even if I think about it now I can't decide which is the 'correct'
Japanese side to shift on, I have to find a picture. At the time, dirt
triggered one shift method and street triggered theother one. I still
can't remember which is 1 up four down or 1 down 4 up.

http://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/d..._Monza_250.jpg
.. It's not. The tank is just like mine, although I can't verify that
all my parts were stock. I painted it orange.

And then there were the two different Japanese metric threads...

--
Cheers, Bev
PJ O'Rourke
Old August 24th 15, 01:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon[_9_]

On 8/23/2015 8:48 PM, Neill Massello wrote:
> Stormin Mormon > wrote:
>
>> Does braking with the left foot increase the
>> risk of accidents?

> In a panic situation, do left-foot brakers tend to mash down both pedals
> (brake and throttle) at the same time?

Not me. I learned on a clutch car.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old August 24th 15, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 7:09:50 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
> On 8/23/2015 8:48 PM, Neill Massello wrote:
> > Stormin Mormon > wrote:
> >
> >> Does braking with the left foot increase the
> >> risk of accidents?

> > In a panic situation, do left-foot brakers tend to mash down both pedals
> > (brake and throttle) at the same time?
> >

> Not me. I learned on a clutch car.
>
> --
> .
> Christopher A. Young
> learn more about Jesus
> . www.lds.org
> .
> .

Some people get the Go pedal and the Stop pedal mixed up. That happens around here too often.
Old August 24th 15, 06:48 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
John Robertson[_3_]

On 08/23/2015 6:10 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 09:13:20 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" >
> wrote:
>
>> Per Stormin Mormon:
>>> Does braking with the left foot increase the
>>> risk of accidents?

>>From what little I have read, there is disagreement on the answer.
>>
>> The traditional answer is that left-foot braking is, somehow, less safe.
>>
>> I can't remember the term-of-art for it, but there is a recognized cause
>> of accidents that consists of the driver stepping on the accelerator
>> when they were trying to step on the brake.
>>

> A driver that ALWAYS uses the right foot to Brake and Accelerate is
> the one most likely to use that right foot on the wrong pedal. Someone
> who is skilled at left foot braking is far less likely to try to push
> the accelerator with the right foot with the intention of braking.
> I'm sure there are always exceptions.

And the left foot break idiot(s) who rests his/her foot on the brake
pedal and thus drives around all day with their brake lights on? Not to
mention wearing out the brake pads or (even worse) overheating the
brakes so they fail at an inopportune time...

I see that a lot, so I vote no to left foot braking. Unless you can't
use your right foot, but we are talking about folks without any sort of
handicap (cast, missing foot, etc.).

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com