93 Del Sol Automatic Can the oil pan gasket be replaced easily ?

Old May 12th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ndccpf1

Default 93 Del Sol Automatic Can the oil pan gasket be replaced easily ?

Or a frame piece needs to be removed ?
Old May 13th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

ndccpf1 wrote:
> Or a frame piece needs to be removed ?

just snug the nuts up a little [not too much] and leave it alone. try a
different brand of oil too - castrol did wonders for leaky seals and
gaskets on my 89. still haven't had to change what was a serious
dripping leak.
Old May 13th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

On May 12, 5:14*pm, ndccpf1 > wrote:
> Or a frame piece needs to be removed ?

probably have to wrestle with the exhaust. might try a dose of those
leak sealer goops; they do wonders with a low pressure rubber gasket
leak.
Old May 14th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

z wrote:
> On May 12, 5:14�pm, ndccpf1 > wrote:
>> Or a frame piece needs to be removed ?

> probably have to wrestle with the exhaust. might try a dose of those
> leak sealer goops; they do wonders with a low pressure rubber gasket
> leak.

application of goop requires pan removal. in which case, you may as
well replace the gasket properly. much better to re-snug the bolts and
see if it fixes the problem. 9 times out of 10, it does.
Old May 14th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

On May 13, 10:40Â*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> z wrote:
> > On May 12, 5:14�pm, ndccpf1 > wrote:
> >> Or a frame piece needs to be removed ?

> > probably have to wrestle with the exhaust. might try a dose of those
> > leak sealer goops; they do wonders with a low pressure rubber gasket
> > leak.

> application of goop requires pan removal. Â*in which case, you may as
> well replace the gasket properly. Â*much better to re-snug the bolts and
> see if it fixes the problem. Â*9 times out of 10, it does.

naw, just the mouse milk you pour into the oil. i had a leaky rear
main seal on a volvo a while back, wasn't up to digging my way down to
it; the parts guy (mom n pop store, not poop boys) looks it up in a
catalog, says yep it might be susceptible, sells me a bottle of the
stuff. don't remember which brand. did a pretty good job stopping the
leak.

doesn't work on the gasket inside the vtec solenoid, btw, i guess it's
probably not rubber. goes through a quart a week.
Old May 15th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

z wrote:
> On May 13, 10:40 pm, jim beam > wrote:
>> z wrote:
>>> probably have to wrestle with the exhaust. might try a dose of those
>>> leak sealer goops; they do wonders with a low pressure rubber gasket
>>> leak.

>> application of goop requires pan removal. in which case, you may as
>> well replace the gasket properly. much better to re-snug the bolts and
>> see if it fixes the problem. 9 times out of 10, it does.

> naw, just the mouse milk you pour into the oil.

no way. that's stuff is not just clogging your leaks, it's clogging the
oil ways you want to remain open too. terrible advice.

Old May 15th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

On May 14, 9:51Â*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> z wrote:
> >> application of goop requires pan removal. Â*in which case, you may as
> >> well replace the gasket properly. Â*much better to re-snug the bolts and
> >> see if it fixes the problem. Â*9 times out of 10, it does.

> > naw, just the mouse milk you pour into the oil.

> no way. Â*that's stuff is not just clogging your leaks, it's clogging the
> oil ways you want to remain open too. Â*terrible advice.

all oil formulations have a dose of seal swellers to keep the rubber
gaskets tight. some sort of solvent, i assume. now they have those
oils for older cars, which have a bigger dose in them. i'm not sure
the oil travels through any rubber hoses or other apertures which are
small enough in diameter that they would swell enough to strangle the
flow, even with the big dose you get in the leak stopper products.
everything has its price, of course, making the rubber exosed to this
stuff bigger and softer can't help but make it wear faster and get
leaker, but if it's already worn and leaky, you're not losing much and
saving yourself some time before getting to it. my experience is that
a single dose of the stuff can sometimes reestablish a seal enough
that it will stay sealed even when you change the oil and don't add
any more.

it's not like they're dumping oatmeal or something into the oil to
clog the holes, like cooling system leak fixes do. not the "reputable"
products anyway.
Old May 16th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

z wrote:
> On May 14, 9:51 pm, jim beam > wrote:
>> z wrote:
>>> naw, just the mouse milk you pour into the oil.

>> no way. that's stuff is not just clogging your leaks, it's clogging the
>> oil ways you want to remain open too. terrible advice.
>>

> all oil formulations have a dose of seal swellers to keep the rubber
> gaskets tight. some sort of solvent, i assume. now they have those
> oils for older cars, which have a bigger dose in them. i'm not sure
> the oil travels through any rubber hoses or other apertures which are
> small enough in diameter that they would swell enough to strangle the
> flow, even with the big dose you get in the leak stopper products.
> everything has its price, of course, making the rubber exosed to this
> stuff bigger and softer can't help but make it wear faster and get
> leaker, but if it's already worn and leaky, you're not losing much and
> saving yourself some time before getting to it. my experience is that
> a single dose of the stuff can sometimes reestablish a seal enough
> that it will stay sealed even when you change the oil and don't add
> any more.
>
> it's not like they're dumping oatmeal or something into the oil to
> clog the holes, like cooling system leak fixes do. not the "reputable"
> products anyway.

quality oils do indeed have seal conditioners, but they're not the same
as seal swellers, the garbage you buy in a little bottle that offers
temporary respite before things fall apart for good. [conditioners are
mainly plasticizers that keep the material flexible enough to do its
job. there may be a little swelling, but it's small. swellers can
bloat seals almost unrecognizably. they offer sealing while the seal is
still in swell mode, but after that, it's completely gone.]

Old May 16th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

On May 15, 8:35*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> *swellers can
> bloat seals almost unrecognizably. *

i saw this walrus once...
Old May 19th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ndccpf1

On May 12, 5:14*pm, ndccpf1 > wrote:
> Or a frame piece needs to be removed ?

Do I need to remove the exhaust pipe the runs under the oil pan or can
the pan be "angled" out once all the bolts are out ?