2000 Jeep Cherokee dash

Old September 19th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 2000 Jeep Cherokee dash

Hi All,

I have a 2000 jeep cherokee that has never really given much issue.
Today I am driving down the road and I look down to see my red airbag
light on. Of course this freaks me out enough on its own. In a matter
of seconds my yellow engine looking light is also on and my speed and
rpm gauges are dead. Is this some sort of power failure or short?
Anyone else had an issue like this?

TIA,

Old September 19th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

That is supposed to be a Wrangler 'defect', not a Cherokee's, but anyway
on the Wrangler if you thump the dash it will go back normal for a
while.

The problem on them is the harness plug for the dash circuit board is
the wrong size so it comes loose. There is a new plug available to fix
it, but it can be fixed by removing the plug and bending the pins in a
twist just slightly. This twist makes the pins fit the socket tight.
Dielectric grease is recommended on this fitting when putting it back
together.

Yours might be different, but it sure sounds the same. Airbag light on
and no gauges.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 20th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Ditto. http://www.billhughes.com/mirror/gauges.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 20th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Herb Leong

In article .com>,
> wrote:
#Hi All,
#
#I have a 2000 jeep cherokee that has never really given much issue.
#Today I am driving down the road and I look down to see my red airbag
#light on. Of course this freaks me out enough on its own. In a matter
#of seconds my yellow engine looking light is also on and my speed and
#rpm gauges are dead. Is this some sort of power failure or short?
#Anyone else had an issue like this?

Your generator (no, it's not a alternator...) died. You are now running
on just your battery's power. As the juice goes down, systems start to
shut off to keep the ignition going.

/herb
Old September 20th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I called the dealer and of course they want me to bring it in and
charge me $50 just to take a look to see what is wrong as they have
never heard of this before,...which I thought strange to begin with. I
really just hate having to pay maybe over $100 for some loose
wires...grrrr

Old September 20th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I called the dealer and of course they want me to bring it in and
charge me $50 just to take a look to see what is wrong as they have
never heard of this before,...which I thought strange to begin with. I

really just hate having to pay maybe over $100 for some loose
wires...grrrr

I am uncertain if I could do this myself. I have taken the radio out
before, but the dash deal sounds like it has tons of screws and such.
does it sound worse than it is?

Thanks!

Old September 20th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Experiment with your ignition key, the switch makes about ten
connections in the on position so if you have a bunch of junk on your
key ring it could shut off your computer and gauges, very common with my
beloved Fords just before they catche fire.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 26th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi
I have been looking all over the place and you described precisely how
my 99 jeep cherokee is behaving. I've also lost power windows, locks,
and the overhead computer as well. It has been sporadic, but it seems
to be getting worse. I get 2 error codes from the switch, 1686 (No
messages received from the Smart Key Immobilizer Module) and 1687 (No
messages received from the Mechanical Instrument Cluster module).

Just wondering if you had ever figured out the problem, I'd like to
avoid the $$ for the dealer diagnostic.

Thanks for the help,

Old September 26th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys