Do Fuel Tank Additives (Techron) Work?

Old December 20th 04, 04:28 PM
Finite Guy

Default Do Fuel Tank Additives (Techron) Work?

Hi All: Just wondering if anyone has ever proven that these fuels
additives at the automotive stores really work. I tried using Techron
and it seems odd that this little amount of fluid diluted with a tank
of fuel is going to do anything at all. I also recall that there are
poeple who swear by putting in Marvel Mystery oil in their gas tank?
Any oppinions on this ?
Robert

Old December 20th 04, 04:58 PM
C. E. White

I have seen the Techron "Clean-Up" intake valve deposit
cleaner do wonders. However, this was several years back
before companies were required by the EPA to include fuel
injection cleaners in all unleaded gasoline.

My Father believes in Marvel Mystery oil - I do not. I have
seen it claimed that it will lube the valve guides. There
should be enough oil slipping past the seals to handle this
chore. I have also heard it claimed that it will dissolve
varnish clogging up a hydraulic lifter. But, I have never
had this problem, probably because I use good oil and change
it regularly.

Ed

Old December 23rd 04, 01:48 AM
Adysthemic

"C. E. White" > wrote in message
> I have seen the Techron "Clean-Up" intake valve deposit
> cleaner do wonders. However, this was several years back
> before companies were required by the EPA to include fuel
> injection cleaners in all unleaded gasoline.
>
> My Father believes in Marvel Mystery oil - I do not. I have
> seen it claimed that it will lube the valve guides. There
> should be enough oil slipping past the seals to handle this
> chore. I have also heard it claimed that it will dissolve
> varnish clogging up a hydraulic lifter. But, I have never
> had this problem, probably because I use good oil and change
> it regularly.
>
> Ed
>
> Finite Guy wrote:
> >
> > Hi All: Just wondering if anyone has ever proven that these fuels
> > additives at the automotive stores really work. I tried using Techron
> > and it seems odd that this little amount of fluid diluted with a tank
> > of fuel is going to do anything at all. I also recall that there are
> > poeple who swear by putting in Marvel Mystery oil in their gas tank?
> > Any oppinions on this ?
> > Robert

Well,.....
This may be unrelated to techron,but..I purchased an old BMW motorcycle on
ebay.It wasn't running all that well.Actually I did a leakdown test that
showed about a 38% difference btw cylinders.Added techron for 3 or 4 tanks
of fuel.By the end of the second tank it ran a good deal better.After the
third tank I did another leak down test.
Wow only 11 % diff.So I suspect that something got "cleaned-up".I usually
don't have much faith in additives of any kind.Maybe it cleaned a bit of
carbon off the valve seat? I've also read that over doing it is not that
good as it may wash off the oil film on the cyl. ,although I did dump a
whole small bottle in a 5 gallon tank,heh,for the first shot,ymmv,Adysthemic