Jeep CJ-7 radiator replacement

Old December 17th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Baggs[_2_]

Default Jeep CJ-7 radiator replacement

Mike Romain or Doug W,
a while back you posted a link to a recommended Jeep Radiator dealer. Can
you post it again? Thanks

My Radiator has sprung a leak

Old December 17th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Jo Baggs wrote:
> Mike Romain or Doug W,
> a while back you posted a link to a recommended Jeep Radiator
> dealer. Can you post it again? Thanks
>
> My Radiator has sprung a leak

radiatorbarn.com

3 core is best if you are in a hot area and do a lot of wheeling,
sit in traffic a lot, or have a winch or lights blocking the intake.
Otherwise I'd stick with the stock 2 core.

Then again I have had good luck with NAPAs echlin line (high end).
That's what is in the ZJ right now.

If you want to stick with OEM use either buymopar.com or chryslerpartsdirect.com
I like CPD, they don't try to rip you off.

--
DougW

Old December 17th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Baggs[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Jo Baggs wrote:
>> Mike Romain or Doug W,
>> a while back you posted a link to a recommended Jeep Radiator
>> dealer. Can you post it again? Thanks
>>
>> My Radiator has sprung a leak

> radiatorbarn.com
>
> 3 core is best if you are in a hot area and do a lot of wheeling,
> sit in traffic a lot, or have a winch or lights blocking the intake.
> Otherwise I'd stick with the stock 2 core.
>
> Then again I have had good luck with NAPAs echlin line (high end).
> That's what is in the ZJ right now.
>
> If you want to stick with OEM use either buymopar.com or
> chryslerpartsdirect.com
> I like CPD, they don't try to rip you off.
>
> --
> DougW

Thanks Doug,
I should have mentioned I have a SBC in my 86 CJ. Does the three core
really cool that much better?

I recall it was either you or Mike who posted a link to some company that
made aluminum radiators. I don't even know if aluminum is considered a
better radiator. However, I figured if the info came from you or Mike, it
must be good.

Thanks

Old December 17th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Jo Baggs wrote:

> Thanks Doug,
> I should have mentioned I have a SBC in my 86 CJ. Does the three core
> really cool that much better?

Yep. The overall effect is the antifreeze moves slower through the rad
and gets more time to transfer heat. Not sure about how much better
(probably 20% or so) most vehicles built for towing use them. I guess
in the winter you could throw up a radiator block like the large trucks do.

> I recall it was either you or Mike who posted a link to some company
> that made aluminum radiators. I don't even know if aluminum is
> considered a better radiator. However, I figured if the info came
> from you or Mike, it must be good.

radiatorbarn makes the all aluminum.

Found this while looking about.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5q5wk7

It's a zink anode for the cooling system. Although with proper
antifreeze levesl and changes I don't know if it would be worth
the investment.

--
DougW

Old December 17th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

DougW wrote:
> Jo Baggs wrote:

>> I recall it was either you or Mike who posted a link to some company
>> that made aluminum radiators. I don't even know if aluminum is
>> considered a better radiator. However, I figured if the info came
>> from you or Mike, it must be good.

Oh, I was going to add that the all aluminum radiator is considered
better because it doesn't have the pinched on plastic side tanks of
the OEM unit. Therefore it doesn't tend to leak there and even if
it gets a leak the leak can be TIGed over by any decent shop.

Had to replace mine when the seal between the rad and plastic side tank
started leaking. Couldn't recrimp it.

--
DougW

Old December 17th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Socks

The coolant doesn't move slower, it just gives it more passages to go
through, hence more cooling square inch surface area compared to 2 or
3 core rad's.

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:34:36 -0600, "DougW"

Old December 17th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Baggs[_2_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> DougW wrote:
>> Jo Baggs wrote:

>>> I recall it was either you or Mike who posted a link to some company
>>> that made aluminum radiators. I don't even know if aluminum is
>>> considered a better radiator. However, I figured if the info came
>>> from you or Mike, it must be good.

> Oh, I was going to add that the all aluminum radiator is considered
> better because it doesn't have the pinched on plastic side tanks of
> the OEM unit. Therefore it doesn't tend to leak there and even if
> it gets a leak the leak can be TIGed over by any decent shop.
>
> Had to replace mine when the seal between the rad and plastic side tank
> started leaking. Couldn't recrimp it.
>
> --
> DougW

Thanks Doug

Old December 17th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Baggs[_2_]

"Socks" > wrote in message
> The coolant doesn't move slower, it just gives it more passages to go
> through, hence more cooling square inch surface area compared to 2 or
> 3 core rad's.

Actually Socks,
Doug W is correct. Given the same volume of water pumped by a water-pump, if
the molecule of water normally took say five seconds to pass from in-take to
out-take with a single core radiator, now with a three core radiator it
would now take that molecule say seven or eight seconds. You're both right.

Old December 17th 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Jo Baggs wrote:
> "Socks" wrote ...
>> The coolant doesn't move slower, it just gives it more passages to go
>> through, hence more cooling square inch surface area compared to 2 or
>> 3 core rad's.

> Actually Socks,
> Doug W is correct. Given the same volume of water pumped by a
> water-pump, if the molecule of water normally took say five seconds
> to pass from in-take to out-take with a single core radiator, now
> with a three core radiator it would now take that molecule say seven
> or eight seconds. You're both right.

Yep. One answer is Thermodynamics and the other Fluid Dynamics.
Your friend, the single pass cross-flow heat exchanger.

--
DougW

Old December 17th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

I'd never consider an aluminum radiator or one with crimped plastic
tanks for off road use. Too many places for fatigue cracks to start,
neither type is repairable.

A good radiator repair shop should be able to do a full rebuild on an
existing CJ-7 radiator for well less than $100. (My last session was $60
or so)

Price of copper has come down dramatically in the last few weeks but I
doubt if that price has filtered through the supply chain yet. That
means a real copper radiator will likely break your piggy bank.

Radiator replacement emonpla Honda 7 March 24th 08 03:32 PM
Reasonable price for a radiator replacement? Chris Lott Technology 2 January 17th 08 08:11 PM
radiator replacement '95 525i David BMW 0 February 23rd 06 12:20 PM
radiator replacement -95 Golf Frank Boettcher VW water cooled 8 January 9th 06 02:31 PM
Need radiator replacement for 88 Prelude 2.0Si Ron Honda 0 November 28th 04 08:10 PM