name brand alternators - what's good?

Old December 31st 05, 01:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default name brand alternators - what's good?

Anyone have any experience with Powermaster or King Chrome alternators
as sold in Summit, Jeg's, Speedway et. al.? Reason I ask is I just had
a 10SI rebuilt by a local shop and the price was actually higher than a
new alt. although I have perfect faith that this rebuild is high
quality. But if the others are good too next time I need one I may just
get a new one, esp. with a chrome case.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 31st 05, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with Powermaster or King Chrome alternators
> as sold in Summit, Jeg's, Speedway et. al.? Reason I ask is I just had a
> 10SI rebuilt by a local shop and the price was actually higher than a
> new alt. although I have perfect faith that this rebuild is high
> quality. But if the others are good too next time I need one I may just
> get a new one, esp. with a chrome case.

Gee *whiz*, Nate, you certainly do like to do things the hard/expensive
way! First you picked up a couple cruddy Chinese-rebuild specials and they
gave you problems. Now you want to pay Powermaster's markup for
new-made-in-China components???

I don't understand you sometimes.
Old December 31st 05, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with Powermaster or King Chrome alternators
> as sold in Summit, Jeg's, Speedway et. al.? Reason I ask is I just had
> a 10SI rebuilt by a local shop and the price was actually higher than a
> new alt. although I have perfect faith that this rebuild is high
> quality. But if the others are good too next time I need one I may just
> get a new one, esp. with a chrome case.
> nate

Well, avoid the chain store lifetime warranty ones. I've had good luck
with "Wilson" branded alternators and starters. Available at most NAPA
stores, although they may have to special order them. They use good
bearings and comebacks have almost been zero.
Do a google search for them, and no, I'm not affiliated with the
company in any way.

Old December 31st 05, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Nate Nagel wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any experience with Powermaster or King Chrome alternators
> > as sold in Summit, Jeg's, Speedway et. al.? Reason I ask is I just had a
> > 10SI rebuilt by a local shop and the price was actually higher than a
> > new alt. although I have perfect faith that this rebuild is high
> > quality. But if the others are good too next time I need one I may just
> > get a new one, esp. with a chrome case.

> Gee *whiz*, Nate, you certainly do like to do things the hard/expensive
> way! First you picked up a couple cruddy Chinese-rebuild specials and they
> gave you problems. Now you want to pay Powermaster's markup for
> new-made-in-China components???
>
> I don't understand you sometimes.

Well, that's what I really wanted to know - does Powermaster use good
components or offshore stuff. Since I don't have a local speed shop
that carries their stuff I had to ask, as I would have to purchase one
to inspect it.

nate

Old December 31st 05, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with Powermaster or King Chrome alternators
> as sold in Summit, Jeg's, Speedway et. al.? Reason I ask is I just had
> a 10SI rebuilt by a local shop and the price was actually higher than a
> new alt.

If the rebuild is more expensive than a completely new one why not just
buy a new one??????

although I have perfect faith that this rebuild is high
> quality.

Is it higher than the quality from a new one? If not then buying an
expensive rebuild makes no sense whatsoever.

Old January 1st 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Don't know about chrome but I always go with Napa when logic/durability
dictates. Seems like it's better quality and I don't like changing parts out
twice like with Autozone stuff. Since I do my own auto repair if it's not
equal to quality of a factory part then I'll go for the factory part. Also
don't overlook junkyards-there's gold in there.
86 300zx
96 Honda Accord
98 Chrysler T&C
Greyhound

Old January 1st 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for the replies. Nearest decent junkyard is about 30 miles away
so that's not an option. Sounds like you're saying that the only decent
parts store alternators are sold at NAPA? What about Carquest, are
their parts any good? They quoted me a good price for a reman but I
don't have any experience with them other than for small stuff and
tools. I've heard people say good things about them, but only recently
have I had one convenient to me to shop at.

nate