What makes you an auto enthusiast?

Old May 28th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
kmakice

Default What makes you an auto enthusiast?

I'm a design student working on some non-academic projects this summer
for Kosmix. One of these projects requires understanding what makes an
auto enthusiast tick. I'm thrilled to see so much activity here that
can inform my work. However, I'd also like to ask a direct but very
general question and see if others here can help me out.

-What about what you do or how you feel makes you an auto ethusiast?-

There is also an online survey for auto enthusiasts, available at:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...1j3Ztg3w%3d%3d

If you have a few minutes, I would appreciate your feedback, both here
on this forum thread and by completing the survey.

Thanks,
Kevin

--
kmakice
kmakice's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=515182

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old June 1st 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
kmakice[_2_]

Here's some early insights that come from online interviews through
forums and email over the past week. How much of this fits you?

Auto enthusiasts ...

- care deeply about cars
- possess a deep knowledge of industry
- are interested in technology, design and skills
- entertain careers that will bring them closer to cars
- tie their online identity to cars
- feel their love for cars is inevitable and inexplicable

- are always shopping for a new car, even if they aren't able to buy
one
- reference cars by specific make and model
- have an emotional attachment to their cars
- personify and engender their vehicles into more than just a product
- express feelings toward other cars based on the cars they like
- maintain a healthy respect for other enthusiasts
- apply their knowledge to improve operational skills
- extend their knowledge to others

- believe modifications are a key part of car culture
- see cars as both science and art, functional and emotional
- believe each car has an important historical context
- believe toys and experiences as a child drove interest in autos as an
adult
- find engaging other enthusiasts more appealing than work
- experience cars with all of their senses, most notably in the revving
of engines

Old June 5th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
kmakice[_3_]

One of the observations made elsewhere on this topic was that there is
an assumption that "auto enthusiasts" love everything about cars - the
operation, the engineering and the acquisition. But there are some who
really are interested in only one of the three.

Based on your own interactions with other enthusiasts, what would you
say were the percentages of those groups? as in,
* 10% love the operation
* 40% love the engineering
* 25% love the acquisition
* 25% love all three
etc.

Old June 8th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
Greenblurr93[_3_]

hmm.. i fit all of the above.... most friends say im too obsessed.... i
think i have a "healthy passion" for cars, bikes, trucks, etc.. i dont
work on cars as a career.. but i do a lot of side jobs and working on
my own cars (yes. i have many) i did go to school for auto body and
custom fab.. any questions feel free to ask.

--
Greenblurr93
Greenblurr93's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=198434

Old June 14th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
kmakice[_4_]

There is a 'new survey'
(http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...Z6MvBZcw_3d_3d)
available.

This second survey asks you to review four design concepts for catering
search content to auto enthusiasts. You might find it enjoyable. It will
probably take about 15-20 minutes to provide some feedback.

Old July 7th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
Taganan

I am interested in alternative designs which use various fuels or power
sources, especially renewable, which operate and look like normal cars.
The IC engine group is closed-minded to almost every other type of power
plant, but IC is inherently polluting and dependent on oil. The EV
groups think that their short-range cars are perfect and you can use
public transportation or rental IC cars at a moments notice. The steam
buffs think steam is perfect and wish to recreate the Stanley and Doble
steamers in modern dress. The hybrid people are mostly converted IC
buffs who want only IC hybrids.

I like EV, but it has short range and is difficult to equip with A/C,
heat and all the power accessories. I like steam because of its
efficiency, simple engine and multi-fuel capability, but it takes 30
sec to get to operating pressure, you can't "gun it" and it can freeze.
By combining the two it is possible to overcome the shortcomings of both
and gain the advantages. Ask about
steam-electric hybrids. I am looking to get someone enthused enough to
build what I am unable to.

--
Taganan
Taganan's Profile: