2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

Old November 7th 19, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ohderii_Cruiser

Default 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads and
rotors at the best price?

It's making noises when I brake like scraping metal but very high pitched.

What's the right brand and model number for the pads & rotors?
Old November 7th 19, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 7/11/19 11:46 am, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:
> 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads and
> rotors at the best price?
>
> It's making noises when I brake like scraping metal but very high pitched.

Sounds like it is down to the wear indicators.

> What's the right brand and model number for the pads & rotors?

Run along to the parts supply house with all the relevant vehicle ID
information from the ID plate and they should be able to supply you with
the correct parts for that car. The information you have supplied here
is insufficient for anyone to provide you with the answers you seek.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Old November 7th 19, 10:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ohderii_Cruiser

Xeno > suggested:\
> Run along to the parts supply house with all the relevant vehicle ID
> information from the ID plate and they should be able to supply you with
> the correct parts for that car. The information you have supplied here
> is insufficient for anyone to provide you with the answers you seek.

I did that already and they don't know the friction codes.
Old November 7th 19, 12:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 7/11/19 8:25 pm, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:
> Xeno > suggested:\
>> Run along to the parts supply house with all the relevant vehicle ID
>> information from the ID plate and they should be able to supply you
>> with the correct parts for that car. The information you have supplied
>> here is insufficient for anyone to provide you with the answers you seek.

> I did that already and they don't know the friction codes.

Tried the local Toyota dealer?

Old November 7th 19, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ohderii_Cruiser

Xeno > suggested:\
>> I did that already and they don't know the friction codes.

> Tried the local Toyota dealer?

It's the first place I tried but they're the dumbest of all.
They don't even know what it means to have a friction code.

I always reasoned the dealer is the dumbest of the parts stores.
Because nobody ever asks them for a "parts choice".
They only have one part. The OEM part.
The friction code isn't something they even THINK about.
So they're clueless.

I tried to explain it to them but they asked "why do you care"?

If they can't figure out why a cold & hot friction code matters for
friction materials that have only one job, cold and hot friction, then I
can't help them learn as they're too stupid to learn if they don't know the
most basic of the simplest thing.

There's NOTHING more important for friction material.
And yet they don't even know what I'm asking of them.

I asked if they could just show me as I can read the friction code right
off the correct part, but they didn't want to order it just so that I could
look t it.

Parts stores will show me the parts, where I can read the friction code
right off the part, but I wouldn't know if it's the OEM friction code.

As for rotors, I'm pretty sure they all work exactly the same.
Old November 7th 19, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Ohderii_Cruiser > wrote:
>Xeno > suggested:\
>>> I did that already and they don't know the friction codes.

>> Tried the local Toyota dealer?

>It's the first place I tried but they're the dumbest of all.
>They don't even know what it means to have a friction code.

Why do you care? Are you racing a 2004 Camry? Are you running this through
twisty mountains at high speeds where you worry brake fade might be an issue?

If you're worried about the fading of an FE pad then spend the extra money
and buy the FF pad. The friction code has more to do with the kind of
driving you are doing than anything else. Likely the dealer parts are the
cheapest possible EE pads which will be fine if you're just driving to the
supermarket.
--scott
Old November 7th 19, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Heron[_2_]

On 11/6/2019 6:46 PM, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:
> 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads and
> rotors at the best price?
>
> It's making noises when I brake like scraping metal but very high pitched.
>
> What's the right brand and model number for the pads & rotors?

Pads
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...brake+pad,1684

Rotors
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/... b,rotor,1896
Old November 9th 19, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ohderii_Cruiser

Heron > suggested:\
>> It's making noises when I brake like scraping metal but very high pitched.
>>
>> What's the right brand and model number for the pads & rotors?

> Pads
> https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...brake+pad,1684
>
> Rotors
> https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/... b,rotor,1896

Thank you all for your advice and for that all important rockauto pointer.
Without a pointer to a supplier, I was lost.

I found that shipping was a killer with RockAuto so I then tried Carid
which gave me free shipping on the rotors (but shipping was a killer on
easy stuff like oil pan drain bolts so I didn't buy them as the shipping
was more than seven times the cost of the bolt).

I also tried something called "partsgeek" which also had good prices.
I ended up getting the Centric pads and rotors but I still don't know the
friction rating.

Here are the three sites I think are best.
If you have BETTER SITES please help me for the next purchase online!
1. https://www.partsgeek.com
2. https://www.rockauto.com
3. https://www.carid.com (they match rockauto for final price)

I decided to get both the front and rears, pads and slabs and the extra
hardware (four springs and two wear indicators for the fronts).

It's amazing that the most important thing about brake pads is so hard to
find but the prices were less than half (maybe even a quarter) of what they
were at the local parts stores (and about 1/10th the dealer).

It's just amazing that the most important thing about a brake pad is so
hard to find. It's not like a brake pad has a more important job than
friction.
Old November 12th 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ohderii_Cruiser

Ohderii_Cruiser > suggested:\It
turns out the friction code is GG for the Centric pads.
Centric 301.09080 stamped CEN 30109080 31AC9101 GG 02 B19
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_02.jpg

Four steel rubberized backing plates came with the 4 front pads.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg

The hardware kit P117.44068 came with 4 holding clips & 2 wear sensors.
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_01548.jpg

Does anyone know why the deep slit in the friction material is there?

Old November 12th 19, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Andrew J. Luck

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 13:43:03 -0700, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:

> Centric 301.09080 stamped CEN 30109080 31AC9101 GG 02 B19
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_02.jpg
>
> Four steel rubberized backing plates came with the 4 front pads.
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg
>
> The hardware kit P117.44068 came with 4 holding clips & 2 wear sensors.
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_01548.jpg
>
> Does anyone know why the deep slit in the friction material is there?

I don't know why the deep slit.
Maybe it's a manufacturing requirement?
Or for a wear indicator?
Or maybe for noise?
Or for water?

The edge codes are explained here.
http://www.safebraking.com/brake-pad...-counterfeits/

I didn't find your edge code in this 2011 AMECA List of Edge Codes document
http://www.safebraking.com/wp-conten...-May-20112.pdf

It wasn't in the 2014 AMECA list of edge codes either.
https://docplayer.net/15631715-Ameca...-material.html

Maybe they're counterfeit?

Front Brake Pads After Only 25K ? Robert11[_2_] Technology 36 May 5th 12 01:05 PM
Replacing front brake pads on 2004 Miata [email protected] Mazda 2 January 14th 08 07:25 PM
99 front brake pads replaced, question on old pads Mikepier Ford Explorer 0 February 4th 05 08:07 PM
front brake pads Trace Origin Honda 4 October 7th 04 02:13 PM
98 Accord - front ball joints are bad before original front brake pads? Cris Fuhrman Honda 5 September 22nd 04 02:00 PM