A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto newsgroups » Technology
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old November 12th 19, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Andrew J. Luck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 13:43:03 -0700, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:

> Centric 301.09080 stamped CEN 30109080 31AC9101 GG 02 B19
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_02.jpg
>
> Four steel rubberized backing plates came with the 4 front pads.
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg
>
> The hardware kit P117.44068 came with 4 holding clips & 2 wear sensors.
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_01548.jpg
>
> Does anyone know why the deep slit in the friction material is there?


I don't know why the deep slit.
Maybe it's a manufacturing requirement?
Or for a wear indicator?
Or maybe for noise?
Or for water?

The edge codes are explained here.
http://www.safebraking.com/brake-pad...-counterfeits/

I didn't find your edge code in this 2011 AMECA List of Edge Codes document
http://www.safebraking.com/wp-conten...-May-20112.pdf

It wasn't in the 2014 AMECA list of edge codes either.
https://docplayer.net/15631715-Ameca...-material.html

Maybe they're counterfeit?
Ads
  #12  
Old November 13th 19, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 285
Default 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

On 13/11/19 7:43 am, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:
> Ohderii_Cruiser > suggested:\It
> turns out the friction code is GG for the Centric pads.
> Centric 301.09080 stamped CEN 30109080 31AC9101 GG 02 B19
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_02.jpg
>
> Four steel rubberized backing plates came with the 4 front pads.
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg
>
> The hardware kit P117.44068 came with 4 holding clips & 2 wear sensors.
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_01548.jpg
>
> Does anyone know why the deep slit in the friction material is there?
>

It's to remove gas buildup from between the pads and the discs. It's the
exact same reason discs are often slotted or drilled. If the gasses from
the pad surfaces, that build up under extreme braking, isn't provided
with an escape path, the pads act like mini hovercrafts skating over
(*above*) the disc surface resulting in a total *loss* of friction.
Guess what that does to your braking ability!

--

Xeno


Nothing astonishes Noddy so much as common sense and plain dealing.
(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
  #13  
Old November 13th 19, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ohderii_Cruiser
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

Xeno > suggested:\
> On 13/11/19 7:43 am, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:
>> Ohderii_Cruiser > suggested:\It
>> turns out the friction code is GG for the Centric pads.
>> Centric 301.09080 stamped CEN 30109080 31AC9101 GG 02 B19
>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_02.jpg
>>
>> Four steel rubberized backing plates came with the 4 front pads.
>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg
>>
>> The hardware kit P117.44068 came with 4 holding clips & 2 wear sensors.
>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_01548.jpg
>>
>> Does anyone know why the deep slit in the friction material is there?
>>

> It's to remove gas buildup from between the pads and the discs. It's the
> exact same reason discs are often slotted or drilled. If the gasses from
> the pad surfaces, that build up under extreme braking, isn't provided
> with an escape path, the pads act like mini hovercrafts skating over
> (*above*) the disc surface resulting in a total *loss* of friction.
> Guess what that does to your braking ability!


Is that gas discharge why the edges are chamfered also?
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg
  #14  
Old November 13th 19, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 285
Default 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

On 14/11/19 2:22 am, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:
> Xeno > suggested:\
>> On 13/11/19 7:43 am, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:
>>> Ohderii_Cruiser > suggested:\It
>>> turns out the friction code is GG for the Centric pads.
>>> Centric 301.09080 stamped CEN 30109080 31AC9101 GG 02 B19
>>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_02.jpg
>>>
>>> Four steel rubberized backing plates came with the 4 front pads.
>>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg
>>>
>>> The hardware kit P117.44068 came with 4 holding clips & 2 wear sensors.
>>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_01548.jpg
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why the deep slit in the friction material is there?
>>>

>> It's to remove gas buildup from between the pads and the discs. It's
>> the exact same reason discs are often slotted or drilled. If the
>> gasses from the pad surfaces, that build up under extreme braking,
>> isn't provided with an escape path, the pads act like mini hovercrafts
>> skating over (*above*) the disc surface resulting in a total *loss* of
>> friction. Guess what that does to your braking ability!

>
> Is that gas discharge why the edges are chamfered also?
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg


No, the chamfer helps to reduce noise - as in brake squeal. It prevents
the pads developing a high speed chatter (vibration) that creates the
squeal. It is also the function of the shims behind the pad. Some people
use brake paste behind the pad to dampen the chatter thereby reducing
the squealing tendency. Whatever works...

It also promotes even pad wear - so they say - but I'm not sure how it
manages that.

--

Xeno


Nothing astonishes Noddy so much as common sense and plain dealing.
(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
  #15  
Old November 13th 19, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ohderii_Cruiser
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

Xeno > suggested:\
>> Is that gas discharge why the edges are chamfered also?
>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg

>
> No, the chamfer helps to reduce noise - as in brake squeal. It prevents
> the pads developing a high speed chatter (vibration) that creates the
> squeal. It is also the function of the shims behind the pad. Some people
> use brake paste behind the pad to dampen the chatter thereby reducing
> the squealing tendency. Whatever works...
>
> It also promotes even pad wear - so they say - but I'm not sure how it
> manages that.


Thanks for explaining the chamfer is to reduce noise.
I had asked the internet supplier for pads meeting the OE spec.
He gave me these Centric GG pads which are "ceramic".
Do you think a GG NAO or ceramic or semi-metallic would brake the same?
  #16  
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 285
Default 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

On 14/11/19 3:50 am, Ohderii_Cruiser wrote:
> Xeno > suggested:\
>>> Is that gas discharge why the edges are chamfered also?
>>> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=20_03.jpg

>>
>> No, the chamfer helps to reduce noise - as in brake squeal. It
>> prevents the pads developing a high speed chatter (vibration) that
>> creates the squeal. It is also the function of the shims behind the
>> pad. Some people use brake paste behind the pad to dampen the chatter
>> thereby reducing the squealing tendency. Whatever works...
>>
>> It also promotes even pad wear - so they say - but I'm not sure how it
>> manages that.

>
> Thanks for explaining the chamfer is to reduce noise.
> I had asked the internet supplier for pads meeting the OE spec.
> He gave me these Centric GG pads which are "ceramic".
> Do you think a GG NAO or ceramic or semi-metallic would brake the same?


Probably not since they are different compounds. Since all might be GG
rated, then the actual braking effect itself might match to a degree,
where they will differ is in their ability to handle and dissipate heat
and, equally importantly, manage *disc rotor wear*. Bottom line, your
choice of brakepad type will be determined by your driving style. The
ceramics would be fine for most use and their manner of operation tends
to contribute to longer disc life. On the other hand, if you tow heavy
loads or are a bit of a tearaway and brake hard, low metallic or semi
metallic might work better for you. The downside will be that those pads
will wear the disc much more.

--

Xeno


Nothing astonishes Noddy so much as common sense and plain dealing.
(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
  #17  
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ohderii_Cruiser
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default 2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

Xeno > suggested:\
>> Thanks for explaining the chamfer is to reduce noise.
>> I had asked the internet supplier for pads meeting the OE spec.
>> He gave me these Centric GG pads which are "ceramic".
>> Do you think a GG NAO or ceramic or semi-metallic would brake the same?

>
> Probably not since they are different compounds. Since all might be GG
> rated, then the actual braking effect itself might match to a degree,
> where they will differ is in their ability to handle and dissipate heat
> and, equally importantly, manage *disc rotor wear*. Bottom line, your
> choice of brakepad type will be determined by your driving style. The
> ceramics would be fine for most use and their manner of operation tends
> to contribute to longer disc life. On the other hand, if you tow heavy
> loads or are a bit of a tearaway and brake hard, low metallic or semi
> metallic might work better for you. The downside will be that those pads
> will wear the disc much more.


Thanks for that additional information about the wear of the rotors which I
hadn't thought about until you said it. The GG is only the friction but
there are other things to consider but most of which we would never know.

I really only wanted OE quality at decent prices.

I think the GG must mean the braking is similar to a degree as you said,
simply because the friction is the same between GG ceramic, NAO, and
semi-metallic, but within a wide range of whatever the GG range allows.

But that GG says nothing about anything else, as you said.
I wish I could have found a lookup for the original pads friction rating.

I was surprised that the parts supplier sent me a GG pad by the way.
Does the rating go any higher than GG or is GG as high as it gets?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Brake Pads After Only 25K ? Robert11[_2_] Technology 36 May 5th 12 01:05 PM
Replacing front brake pads on 2004 Miata [email protected] Mazda 2 January 14th 08 07:25 PM
99 front brake pads replaced, question on old pads Mikepier Ford Explorer 0 February 4th 05 08:07 PM
front brake pads Trace Origin Honda 4 October 7th 04 02:13 PM
98 Accord - front ball joints are bad before original front brake pads? Cris Fuhrman Honda 5 September 22nd 04 02:00 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.