Car won't start after 15 minutes of trying - then started

Old October 25th 19, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Car won't start after 15 minutes of trying - then started

Have a 2012 Nissan Vera hatchback.

Went yesterday to start car after not starting it for a week. Would not start for about 15 minutes, then finally started!

1. Battery strong
2. No warning lights or codes
3. When finally started ran it smooth; no miss.
4. Tried starting car by putting the accelerator to the floor; made no difference.

How do I trouble shoot this? Where do I start?

Would a can of dry gas help? How about fuel injection cleaner?

Larry
Old October 25th 19, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>Have a 2012 Nissan Vera hatchback.
>
>Went yesterday to start car after not starting it for a week. Would not start for about 15 minutes, then finally started!

Did it turn over? Did it refuse to turn over? Did it have a manual or
automatic transmission? If it had a manual, was the clutch safety switch
completely closed? If it had an automatic was the neutral safety switch
completely closed?

>1. Battery strong
>2. No warning lights or codes
>3. When finally started ran it smooth; no miss.
>4. Tried starting car by putting the accelerator to the floor; made no difference.
>
>How do I trouble shoot this? Where do I start?

First decide if it's a starter issue (no turning over) or an engine issue
(no catching once it turns over).

>Would a can of dry gas help? How about fuel injection cleaner?

That depends what the problem is.
--scott
Old October 26th 19, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 12:09:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Have a 2012 Nissan Vera hatchback.
>
> Went yesterday to start car after not starting it for a week. Would not start for about 15 minutes, then finally started!
>
> 1. Battery strong
> 2. No warning lights or codes
> 3. When finally started ran it smooth; no miss.
> 4. Tried starting car by putting the accelerator to the floor; made no difference.
>
> How do I trouble shoot this? Where do I start?
>
> Would a can of dry gas help? How about fuel injection cleaner?
>
> Larry

Thanks guys for the replies. Turned over fine; battery very strong. automatic tranny.

Been using car the last two days - everything seems fine. Starts right up. Still wondering what could have gone wrong that day. Perhaps something got wet?

Again thanks for the input.

Larry
Old October 27th 19, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>On Friday, October 25, 2019 at 12:09:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> Have a 2012 Nissan Vera hatchback.
>>
>> Went yesterday to start car after not starting it for a week. Would not start for about 15 minutes, then finally started!
>>
>> 1. Battery strong
>> 2. No warning lights or codes
>> 3. When finally started ran it smooth; no miss.
>> 4. Tried starting car by putting the accelerator to the floor; made no difference.

> Been using car the last two days - everything seems fine. Starts right up. Still wondering what could have gone wrong that day. Perhaps something got wet?
>
>Again thanks for the input.

Get it on the scanner, look at what happened when it wasn't starting. Did
the computer see the engine turning? Did the computer even come on at all?

A million intermittent things can cause your problem. If the main relay is
flaky, the computer won't come on. If the TDC sensor is bad, the computer
won't see the engine turning. If the fuel pressure regulator is bad, or
the coil is bad the computer will think everything is fine, but the engine
won't start. Looking at the logs on the computer will tell you what was
going on at the time.

You need fuel, air, spark, and timing, and three of those four things are
controlled by the computer so the computer logs will show what was happening
at the time. The logs won't stay there forever; there is a big ring buffer
and they will get overwritten after a few hours of running so it may be too
late to diagnose it this time but it'll happen again.
--scott
Old October 29th 19, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2019-10-25, Heron > wrote:
> Fuel system pressure leak down?

I would spray a little starter fluid down the carb and crank it. If it
fires up for a few seconds the problem is in the fuel system. If it
does not fire up the problem is in the ignition. (Assuming the engine
is otherwise OK.)

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org