"nutter" question

Old August 1st 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bobvonbob

Default "nutter" question

hey all - 87 YJ 258 - just did the ol "nutter" and i am bit confused as
to one thing:
do i need to now use the capped off idle mixture screws? they are
curently still sitting in their little capped off holes and the jeep
appears to be idling fine. there is a bit of surging going on when i am
driving in gear at low rpms however... but then the air cleaner is
pretty gummed up with oil (blow by?) and the CTO valve is broken off.
those things have been true for quite awhile tho and this is a new
issue. i'm going to take care of those things and check for vacuum and
intake leaks tomorrow so i'll know soon enough. wondering about those
little idle screws tho...
also can i now remove the Sol-Vac?
did a search on these questions but couldnt find the answer. Mike
Romain... you still out there?
cheers,
bennett

Old August 1st 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bobvonbob

well - apologies to mike - its the damn cannister... i checked the damn
thing a few months ago and it was fine - now i pinch off the line to
the carb and voila - major change in idle speed... will deal with this
tomorrow i guess...

Old August 1st 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bobvonbob

Old August 4th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Simon Juncal

bobvonbob wrote:
> hey all - 87 YJ 258 - just did the ol "nutter" and i am bit confused as
> to one thing:

Oooff two years ago I was right where you are now... With an 88 YJ. It
starts getting expensive from where you are on out... For what it's
worth here's my opinion: my YJ currently is entirely new from the Cam on
up, ignition (TFI), Holley fuel injection, exhaust and header, new 4.0
head, lifters, timing set, hesco RVOB camshaft only the crank rods and
pistons haven't been replaced. And needless to say all that vacuum crap
is totally gone.

So having prefaced that with my experiences, do yourself a favor and
Swap a 350 in it or get a 4.0, or get a 4.0 and stroke it with your
4.2's crank and rods.

The 4.2 is a TURD. Especially in the YJ's and late CJ's with early
emissions systems. Even with mods and fuel injection it's a woefully
underpowered motor if you've ever driven anything with 200hp or more.

The 4.6 stroker in my XJ might actually be quicker than my old 95 GT
Mustang with 5.0 V8. (These were heavier than earlier GT's and the last
couple years of the 5.0 weren't it's best) they put out right under 200
hp (rear wheel) about the same as my stroker, and the XJ weighs less and
has taller 4.51 gears.

If you're just trying to keep your YJ running then good luck and sorry
if I wasted your time, but if you're after more power and performance
then punt as soon as you can

--
Simon
"I may be wrong, but I'm not uncertain." -- Robert A. Heinlein

2005 Mustang Fog Light Question Craig Shaffer Ford Mustang 2 June 23rd 06 06:24 PM
1993 Saturn Fuel Filter Question OHC (SOHC)? [email protected] Saturn 7 May 21st 06 08:39 PM
Ignorant question. Jeepers Jeep 9 January 15th 05 05:42 AM
93 SL1 Valve Body - Question Gary Compton Saturn 3 September 3rd 04 05:58 PM