"nutter" Question - Again

Old August 1st 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bobvonbob

Default "nutter" Question - Again

can i get a response to these basic questions please:

1) after doing the nutter, does one need to use the blanked off idle
mixture screws to properly set the idle?
2) similiarly, does the Sol-Vac unit do anything after one has done the
nutter? can i now take it off and use it as a paperweight?

thanks in advance,
bennett

Old August 1st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
c[_1_]

You should use the idle mixture screws to optimize the mixture. It may be
close now, but I would still do the mixture adjustment. Just make sure when
you are done, that both screws are within 1/4 turn of each other, otherwise
there is something wrong.

As far as the second question, I am not 100% sure, but I think that the
Sol-Vac is now completely disabled.

Chris

ups.com...

Old August 1st 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bobvonbob

thanks -
one more question tho - just to clarify: after the nutter the stepper
motor is disconnected and no longer functions whatsoever... correct?
pins are in the completely forward position... correct?

Old August 2nd 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Steve Foley[_1_]

I'm pretty sure the nutter bypass instructions tell you exactly how to set
the 'blanked off idle mixture screws'

Don't know about the sol-vac. I left mine on.

ups.com...

Old August 2nd 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bobvonbob

Steve Foley wrote:
> I'm pretty sure the nutter bypass instructions tell you exactly how to set
> the 'blanked off idle mixture screws'
>
> Don't know about the sol-vac. I left mine on.

Nutter Instructions dont mention setting the idle mixture screws... all
the threads i've found on setting them mention looking at the stepper
needles to see that they are in the 'middle' position. pretty difficult
since they no longer move. clarification anyone???
where is mike romain these days? does he no longer read this newsgroup.
i expect he'd be able to answer all these questions in about 30
seconds....

thanks to Steve and Earl for taking the time to anser.
bennett

Old August 3rd 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Steve Foley[_1_]

"bobvonbob" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Nutter Instructions dont mention setting the idle mixture screws... all

Step 2: (Step 1 says warm up the engine)

"Screw in the idle jets so that the needles that are controlled by the
stepper motor move"

I simply leaned the mixture until the RPMs dropped, and enrichened it 1/4
turn.

Old August 7th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Yes you have to cut open the idle screws and adjust the mix manually
with the stepper pins all the way in or full rich. The stepper pins are
air input, not fuel.

You can use the sol-vac as an electric fast idle for winching or
boosting by adding a toggle switch and power to it, otherwise it is a
paperweight.

I was off Jeeping for a while, put over 3000 miles on the old CJ7.
Photos will follow in a new thread.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 8th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
David Harmon

On 1 Aug 2006 15:29:33 -0700 in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,
"bobvonbob" > wrote,
>thanks -
>one more question tho - just to clarify: after the nutter the stepper
>motor is disconnected and no longer functions whatsoever... correct?
>pins are in the completely forward position... correct?

I have never done it, but in my opinion it only makes sense for the
pins to be in the middle position, as described in the TSB on
adjusting the idle mixture screws:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...arthlink. net

Old August 8th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

David Harmon wrote:

> On 1 Aug 2006 15:29:33 -0700 in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,
> "bobvonbob" > wrote,
> >thanks -
> >one more question tho - just to clarify: after the nutter the stepper
> >motor is disconnected and no longer functions whatsoever... correct?
> >pins are in the completely forward position... correct?

> I have never done it, but in my opinion it only makes sense for the
> pins to be in the middle position, as described in the TSB on
> adjusting the idle mixture screws:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...arthlink. net

You are correct if you want the computer to fine tun the mix, otherwise,
those 2 air needles need to be shut off to get a stable idle.

The stepper and it's pins are an add on to the carb. The pre-82 BBD
carbs didn't have it. They adjust the air mix once the base fuel mix is
set.

To get the best performance out of the BBD, these air tubes need to be
closed so the fuel mix jets can accurately set the mix.

The 'Nutter' covers this by saying to turn the mix screws lean until the
stepper pushes the pins all the way in to full rich or no extra air.

If the stepper isn't working right because you have a dead sensor or O2
sensor, then you can manually pull the pins al the way in. They are
tight because they work on a 'stepper' motor that clicks steps, they
don't pull in smoothly.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

"nutter" question bobvonbob Jeep 3 August 4th 06 04:41 AM
2005 Mustang Fog Light Question Craig Shaffer Ford Mustang 2 June 23rd 06 06:24 PM
1993 Saturn Fuel Filter Question OHC (SOHC)? [email protected] Saturn 7 May 21st 06 08:39 PM
Ignorant question. Jeepers Jeep 9 January 15th 05 05:42 AM
93 SL1 Valve Body - Question Gary Compton Saturn 3 September 3rd 04 05:58 PM