Changing Timing Belt on Honda Civic !!!

Old December 9th 04, 04:23 AM
Jason

Default Changing Timing Belt on Honda Civic !!!

Hello!

I have a 98 Honda Civic DX Hatchback. It has 97k on it right now. Many of my
friends are telling me that i should get the timing belt changed.

If I do, how much would it cost approximately? And is it true in the same
time I should get also the water pump replaced because it's nearby the
timing belt? I just bought some new winter tires and would like any advice
on what I should do right now?

Can I wait until spring time before changing the timing belt? Ok, and the
timing belt: how much? how many hours for the labour?

Thanks to all responses!

Jay

Old December 9th 04, 05:31 AM
motsco_ _

Jason wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a 98 Honda Civic DX Hatchback. It has 97k on it right now. Many of my
> friends are telling me that i should get the timing belt changed.
>
> If I do, how much would it cost approximately? And is it true in the same
> time I should get also the water pump replaced because it's nearby the
> timing belt? I just bought some new winter tires and would like any advice
> on what I should do right now?
>
> Can I wait until spring time before changing the timing belt? Ok, and the
> timing belt: how much? how many hours for the labour?
>
> Thanks to all responses!
>
> Jay

=======================

You're the only one who can say, since you know where you live, and
whether you qualify as a 'regular' service (Vancouver, garaged) or a
'severe' service schedule user (Winnipeg, no plug-in). You also have
access to the exact date the car went into use.

You're probably due, just based on age, but if it's been pampered /
highway driven / kept in a warm climate, you might push the limits a bit.

You should also mention whether you're talking Km or MILES.

'Curly'

Old December 9th 04, 06:16 AM
SoCalMike

@108k, IIRC.

> If I do, how much would it cost approximately? And is it true in the same
> time I should get also the water pump replaced because it's nearby the
> timing belt? I just bought some new winter tires and would like any advice
> on what I should do right now?

id put it off til spring.

> Can I wait until spring time before changing the timing belt? Ok, and the
> timing belt: how much? how many hours for the labour?

if i pay to have it done, im expecting about $600, total. just a wild
ass guess.

Old December 9th 04, 08:58 AM
Gershund

I have heard that as a rule, you have to change your timing belt around or
every 75k miles!..

And that once you're doing it, it will also be convenient for you to change
the oil seals and the water pump!..It's better pto have a peace of mind than
beeing worried about if that problem will leave you stranded!..

Old December 9th 04, 09:27 AM
Sean Dinh

I didn't change the water pump on my last timing belt change at 90k miles. I
need to change the timing belt again in 3k miles. I don't plan on changing the
water pump at this time either.

Old December 9th 04, 04:15 PM
Albert

That's very smart! ... you are saving how much???

Old December 9th 04, 09:55 PM
Sean Dinh

I saved some labor...and waste materials to the dump... and energy the
manufacturer spent on making it... and fuel transporting it... and some $$. Why
replace it when it works well?

Old December 10th 04, 02:29 AM
SoCalMike

Sean Dinh wrote:

> I saved some labor...and waste materials to the dump... and energy the
> manufacturer spent on making it... and fuel transporting it... and some $$. Why
> replace it when it works well?

if it stops working well suddenly, youll need a new top end. i can see
your point, though. dont the pumps leak or squeak before they fail?
Old December 10th 04, 07:46 AM
Sean Dinh

One failure mode is jammed pump. This is catastrophic. It would damage the timing
belt.

The other mode is leakage. Since the water pump has built-in seep hole, occasional
drops won't be considered failure. If it drips continuously, I would consider that a
failure.

I've seen one picture of a water pump with fully corroded propellers. I still don't
know what that person put into his engine to get those stainless steel props to
corrode like that.

My point is that I won't consciously recommend someone to spend extra money to
replace the water pump because of myth surrounding frequent pump failure. My car is a
92 Civic. It still has original water pump, and possibly original coolant. There is
no seepage of coolant from the water pump atm. There is no whining, nor overheating.
I don't consider replacing it as a preventative maintenance. I might remove it and
take a few pictures in a few months, and then put it back with a new gasket.