Here's a secret for your VW Golf oil changes

Old October 8th 04, 12:19 AM
Tom Levigne

Default Here's a secret for your VW Golf oil changes

If you are changing the oil filter its easier to do this from the top
instead of from the bottom like I had been doing it all along.
Its still kind of a pain to work around all the hoses but its not so bad
from the top.
My car is a 2003 Golf with a 2.0 liter engine.

Old October 8th 04, 05:27 AM
Biz

"Tom Levigne" > wrote in message
link.net...
> If you are changing the oil filter

Are there people that change the oil and NOT the filter?

its easier to do this from the top
> instead of from the bottom like I had been doing it all along.
> Its still kind of a pain to work around all the hoses but its not so bad
> from the top.
> My car is a 2003 Golf with a 2.0 liter engine.

Probably good advice for an A4 chassis, but on an A2 chassis its almost
impossible to get at it from the top.

Old October 8th 04, 07:20 AM
Chad Leigh

In > Biz
wrote:

> "Tom Levigne" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>> If you are changing the oil filter

> Are there people that change the oil and NOT the filter?
>
> its easier to do this from the top
>> instead of from the bottom like I had been doing it all along.
>> Its still kind of a pain to work around all the hoses but its not so
>> bad from the top. My car is a 2003 Golf with a 2.0 liter engine.

I thought everyone did this. My 88 Golf, my 87 Jetta, and my 97 Jetta
are all done from the top much more easily...

> Probably good advice for an A4 chassis, but on an A2 chassis its
> almost impossible to get at it from the top.

Remind which chassis are which? I thought the Passat was the A4 and the
Golf/Jetta the A3

Chad
Old October 8th 04, 02:35 PM
Ed

> Remind which chassis are which? I thought the Passat was the A4 and the
> Golf/Jetta the A3
>
> Chad

Passats are B platform:
to 81, B1 (Dasher in U.S.)
82 to 88, B2 (Quantum in U.S.)
89 to I don't know when, B3
I don't know when to present, B4

Golfs/Rabbits/Jettas are A platform:
to 84, A1
85 to 92, A2
93 to 99? (mid model year for Jettas, right?) A3
99 to present, A4

Old October 8th 04, 02:54 PM
Brian Running

> If you are changing the oil filter its easier to do this from the top
> instead of from the bottom like I had been doing it all along.
> Its still kind of a pain to work around all the hoses but its not so bad
> from the top.

As long as we're on the topic, I've got something to get off my chest.

1. All oil filters should have a socket in the end that will accept a
3/8" ratchet drive. What would it take to weld one of those on to the
filter can? Good grief.

2. Every car should accept an even number of quarts or liters of oil,
depending on the units used in the particular country. When you change the
oil, you should be able to put exactly four, five or six quarts in,
whatever, and that's that. I've got half-full bottles of oil all over the
place. Go ahead and try to give me one good reason why a car should take
4.4 quarts -- but I'm telling you right now, you ain't gonna convince me.
If the engines took a standard amount of oil, then oil companies could
package oil in that exact amount. One oil container, dump it in, and there
you go. This should be obvious to engine designers. Good grief.

3. When the "low windshield washer" light comes on, that reservoir should
take exactly one gallon to fill it. Why on earth do we have to have
partially-filled containers of washer around? Light comes on, pull into
station, put a gallon in, throw container away. Good grief.

Old October 8th 04, 04:09 PM
Matt B.

"Ed" > wrote in message ...
>> Remind which chassis are which? I thought the Passat was the A4 and the
>> Golf/Jetta the A3
>>
>> Chad

> Passats are B platform:
> to 81, B1 (Dasher in U.S.)
> 82 to 88, B2 (Quantum in U.S.)
> 89 to I don't know when, B3

'90 to '94 are B3 although '89 too elsewhere (we just didn't get a
Quantum/Passat for '89).

> I don't know when to present, B4

'95-97 are B4

'98-early 2001 are B5

Mid 2001-now are B5.5

> Golfs/Rabbits/Jettas are A platform:
> to 84, A1
> 85 to 92, A2
> 93 to 99? (mid model year for Jettas, right?) A3

And Golfs and GTIs (all three models got the mid year change but the Jetta
was more obvious because it's the higher volume seller here, so early '99
for A3s and the A4 appeared a few months later to replace it.

Old October 8th 04, 08:26 PM
Will

Maybe you should try to order your oil from Canada, it comes in 1 Liter
and 4 Liter sizes up here

On the other hand, since all the major companies sell to both Canada and
the US, maybe you could convince your local distributer to order the
metric sizes from the oil companies.

Will

Old October 8th 04, 10:33 PM
Rob Guenther

That windsheild washer thing really bugs me... Our Volvo holds 4 litres + a
little extra, it's marked 4L on the resevoir.... so a US Gallon fits, a UK
Gallon fits, and a 4L jug fits.... What does my VW have - 3L... Meaning I
have little bits left in every bottle - I think the old A2 Golf's had 4L
tho. In the winter I've had up to 3-4 washer jugs strapped in with bungie
cords.
m...

Old October 9th 04, 10:54 AM

Brian Running wrote:
>>If you are changing the oil filter its easier to do this from the top
>>instead of from the bottom like I had been doing it all along.
>>Its still kind of a pain to work around all the hoses but its not so bad
>>from the top.

> As long as we're on the topic, I've got something to get off my chest.

OK, I am prepared.

> 1. All oil filters should have a socket in the end that will accept a
> 3/8" ratchet drive. What would it take to weld one of those on to the
> filter can? Good grief.

Phooyee. Oil Filters should be put on, and therefore come off again BY
HAND. Lube the new filter seal with some fresh oil and crank it about
one quarter to a half turn past contact. Why people put filters one like
axle nuts is beyond me. Same with using an air wrench to torque lug
nuts. wtf.

> 2. Every car should accept an even number of quarts or liters of oil,
> depending on the units used in the particular country. When you change the
> oil, you should be able to put exactly four, five or six quarts in,
> whatever, and that's that. I've got half-full bottles of oil all over the
> place. Go ahead and try to give me one good reason why a car should take
> 4.4 quarts -- but I'm telling you right now, you ain't gonna convince me.
> If the engines took a standard amount of oil, then oil companies could
> package oil in that exact amount. One oil container, dump it in, and there
> you go. This should be obvious to engine designers. Good grief.

Here you have a point; even if it was a metric amount. The 'additional
amount' could be incorporated into the oil pan pretty reasonable, if not
some where else. Still the reason you have half full oil containers
around isn't the fault of designers. This situation shouldn't exist past
two oil changes, it seems to me. (Old school tech meant the remainder
would go towards intermittent topping off. One could hope a modern
engine wouldn't _need_ topping off between oil changes).

> 3. When the "low windshield washer" light comes on, that reservoir should
> take exactly one gallon to fill it. Why on earth do we have to have
> partially-filled containers of washer around? Light comes on, pull into
> station, put a gallon in, throw container away. Good grief.

Now you're just whining man. 8D

TBerk
Old October 9th 04, 02:56 PM

T > wrote:

>Brian Running wrote:
>>>If you are changing the oil filter its easier to do this from the top
>>>instead of from the bottom like I had been doing it all along.
>>>Its still kind of a pain to work around all the hoses but its not so bad
>>>from the top.

>> As long as we're on the topic, I've got something to get off my chest.
>>

>OK, I am prepared.
>

>> 1. All oil filters should have a socket in the end that will accept a
>> 3/8" ratchet drive. What would it take to weld one of those on to the
>> filter can? Good grief.

It akes money to put something on that nearly no one should have to
use. Hand tight, hand loosen or a simple strap wrench.

>Phooyee. Oil Filters should be put on, and therefore come off again BY
>HAND. Lube the new filter seal with some fresh oil and crank it about
>one quarter to a half turn past contact. Why people put filters one like
> axle nuts is beyond me. Same with using an air wrench to torque lug
>nuts. wtf.
>

>> 2. Every car should accept an even number of quarts or liters of oil,
>> depending on the units used in the particular country. When you change the
>> oil, you should be able to put exactly four, five or six quarts in,
>> whatever, and that's that. I've got half-full bottles of oil all over the
>> place. Go ahead and try to give me one good reason why a car should take
>> 4.4 quarts -- but I'm telling you right now, you ain't gonna convince me.
>> If the engines took a standard amount of oil, then oil companies could
>> package oil in that exact amount. One oil container, dump it in, and there
>> you go. This should be obvious to engine designers. Good grief.
>>

>Here you have a point; even if it was a metric amount. The 'additional
>amount' could be incorporated into the oil pan pretty reasonable, if not
>some where else. Still the reason you have half full oil containers
>around isn't the fault of designers. This situation shouldn't exist past
>two oil changes, it seems to me. (Old school tech meant the remainder
>would go towards intermittent topping off. One could hope a modern
>engine wouldn't _need_ topping off between oil changes).

You pint is not my pint. Your liter is not my quart. Your galon is not
my gallon. Your kg is not my lb is not my stone. The world does not
measure things the same. Oil capacity is designed with a few factors.
Enough oil to do the job and chassis space are the two primary
factors. Not designed for Jo Dufus who cannot use the pint of oil to
top off the engine at the half oil change top off, or top of the lawn
mower which always uses oil, or as mentioned use it for the next oil
change or the next change after that. Heck I buy the gallon. I use 1
gallon plus some. That not full one gallon jug gets used for the next
few oil changes. It does not feel lonely sitting on the oil shelf with
the other 2 or three gallons. Well it does now as I used my last full
gallon and there sits the partial container for another few months.

>> 3. When the "low windshield washer" light comes on, that reservoir should
>> take exactly one gallon to fill it. Why on earth do we have to have
>> partially-filled containers of washer around? Light comes on, pull into
>> station, put a gallon in, throw container away. Good grief.

I can show you a shelf full of partial cans. It takes 41 US ounces of
laquer thinner to clean the spary gun. Why don't they sell 41 oz.
cans?

>Now you're just whining man. 8D

Great troll! Fun to respond to your stuff. Is it Mad TV or was it SNL
that had the old lady who went off on stuff and at the end of the skit
went Oh.

>TBerk

Jim B.

Golf carb tuning?/ cutting out Jason Fox VW air cooled 0 December 29th 04 05:24 PM
Golf vs. GTI dmkozak VW water cooled 15 October 9th 04 08:25 PM
2 Door Golf TDI Mr.Eddy VW water cooled 12 October 8th 04 01:03 AM
Shifter rod damaged on Golf? Keith Murphy VW water cooled 7 October 5th 04 04:02 PM