E36 328i replacing oxygen sensors

Old May 18th 07, 05:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
news[_1_]

Default E36 328i replacing oxygen sensors

there's nothing wrong with them but i hear they go at about 60k miles.

is it diffficult to replace?
there are 4 of them , which one is likely to go ?
thanks.

doesnt seem cheap though. i hear 100 a piece

Old May 18th 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

Your 328 is OBD II compliant. Personally, I'd wait for them to throw a code.
Of the 4 (are there really that many?) my money is on the ones that are
ahead of the CAT for failing first.

The difficulty is due to the tight work space, the sensors themselves are
replaced with a socket that looks much the same as a spark plug socket, but
has a slot cut up one side to accomodate the wire.

Old May 18th 07, 09:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"news" > wrote
> there's nothing wrong with them but i hear they go at about 60k miles.
>
> is it diffficult to replace?
> there are 4 of them , which one is likely to go ?
> thanks.
>
> doesnt seem cheap though. i hear 100 a piece

You can buy non-heated ones for less - check around on the
web to find how to wire them.

I agree with Jeff that there is absolutely no reason to replace
them before they actually fail and trip the check engine light.

FloydR

Old May 19th 07, 01:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Opossum

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote:

>"news" > wrote
>> there's nothing wrong with them but i hear they go at about 60k miles.
>>
>> is it diffficult to replace?
>> there are 4 of them , which one is likely to go ?
>> thanks.
>>
>> doesnt seem cheap though. i hear 100 a piece

>You can buy non-heated ones for less - check around on the
>web to find how to wire them.
>
>I agree with Jeff that there is absolutely no reason to replace
>them before they actually fail and trip the check engine light.
>
>FloydR

I agree with the above. I am running over 116k miles and still with
the original sensors. I *am* however getting an "E9" code that one
converter efficiency is below threshold. Started sometime after 100k
miles. Went 11 months between occurrences.

Yes, about $110 or so, each, sensor alone. Not easy to get to.
Old May 19th 07, 03:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Doug Vetter

news wrote:
> there's nothing wrong with them but i hear they go at about 60k miles.
>
> is it diffficult to replace?
> there are 4 of them , which one is likely to go ?
> thanks.
>
> doesnt seem cheap though. i hear 100 a piece

http://www.dvatp.com/bmw/diy/oxygen_sensors/

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old May 19th 07, 04:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message
> "news" > wrote
>> there's nothing wrong with them but i hear they go at about 60k miles.
>>
>> is it diffficult to replace?
>> there are 4 of them , which one is likely to go ?
>> thanks.
>>
>> doesnt seem cheap though. i hear 100 a piece

> You can buy non-heated ones for less - check around on the
> web to find how to wire them.

IF the car has the heated variety of O2 Sensor, ten they must be replaced
with the heated sensor else the lack of a heater will throw a code.

Old May 19th 07, 05:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bill[_4_]

http://www.dvatp.com
> --------------------

Doug,
VERY nice site! I just imagine if I could compile everything BMW I found
(and provided for others) to look that good. Cheers!

Bill in Omaha
'86 535i

Old May 20th 07, 01:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

news wrote:
> there's nothing wrong with them but i hear they go at about 60k miles.

No, they generally last 100k miles or more.

> is it diffficult to replace?

No.

> there are 4 of them , which one is likely to go ?
> thanks.

It's the one that is causing the check engine code. If you aren't
getting a code your sensors are fine.

> doesnt seem cheap though. i hear 100 a piece

About right.

--
-Fred W
Old May 20th 07, 01:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

Floyd Rogers wrote:

> You can buy non-heated ones for less - check around on the
> web to find how to wire them.

This would be a really bad idea. You cannot use a non heated O2 sensor
on a car designed for heated ones. It *will* throw check engine light
at about 5 minutes after cold start because the sensor is not up to temp
yet.

There are generic heated sensors that you can get and then splice on
your old connector. Those are usually a bit cheaper. Maybe that is
what you were thinking of?

--
-Fred W
Old May 20th 07, 03:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Fred W" > wrote
> Floyd Rogers wrote:

> There are generic heated sensors that you can get and then splice on your
> old connector. Those are usually a bit cheaper. Maybe that is what you
> were thinking of?

Yes.