fuel injected vs carb in ford trucks with 460 engine

Old July 3rd 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
052003

Default fuel injected vs carb in ford trucks with 460 engine

looking to buy another truck but keep coming up against big engines. Want to
know if there is a huge difference in gas mileage with a fuel inject vs a
truck with a carb. With the price of gas today, want to make a good decision

Old July 3rd 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Walsh

At highway speed you are unlikely to see any difference. Fuel injection works much better than carburetors at lower speeds, especially with a cold engine.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old July 3rd 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

052003 wrote:
> looking to buy another truck but keep coming up against big engines. Want to
> know if there is a huge difference in gas mileage with a fuel inject vs a
> truck with a carb. With the price of gas today, want to make a good decision

They put both straight six carb and FI engines in Jeeps and the FI ones
all get worse mileage. So do the FI conversions.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

Old July 4th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

fuel injection is great when its working right. you might as well join
the 21st century and get one with fuel injection. i don't think its
going to go away.

Old July 4th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"052003" <u35558@uwe> wrote in message news:74a2487134e28@uwe...
> looking to buy another truck but keep coming up against big engines. Want

> know if there is a huge difference in gas mileage with a fuel inject vs a
> truck with a carb. With the price of gas today, want to make a good

decision

I dont have a Ford, BUT my experience with multiple port fuel injection in
GMs and Dodges has been very positive. Power, responsiveness, and economy
have been exceptional.

I had a throttle body "injector" in an earlier GM which I would have gladly
traded
for a carb. There was nothing good to say about it.

It is my belief, perhaps oversimplified, that the transmission, the injected
engine control
system, and associated sensors, etc, need to be designed to work together in
order to
obtain these benefits. Aftermarket may be okay, but I am not in a position
to even
guess about that.

Old July 4th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

wrote:

> It is my belief, perhaps oversimplified, that the transmission, the injected
> engine control
> system, and associated sensors, etc, need to be designed to work together in
> order to
> obtain these benefits. Aftermarket may be okay, but I am not in a position
> to even
> guess about that.

The more integrated the control system, the more clever things can be
done for sure. The best example that I can think of is the way carmakers
are now vastly extending the life of transmissions by having the engine
controller throttle back during every upshift instead of continuing to
dump energy into the clutch packs needlessly. It has the side-effect of
making the shifts smoother as well. The last Chrysler rental car I had
(a 4.0L Pacifica) was obviously using the engine controller to do
RPM-matching during each shift and the shifts were lightning-fast but
very smooth. I was highly impressed. I was even impressed with some
earlier GMs that simply allowed closed-throttle upshift without
RPM-matching, but why stop there?

That said, standalone closed-loop aftermarket EFI with absolutely no
other system integration can be a huge improvement too. A well-tuned
carb can almost match closed-loop EFI in highway driving, but rarely in
stop-and-go driving, through drastic weather changes, etc.

Open-loop aftermarket EFI (like the early Holley Projection) is a way to
drain dollars out of your wallet with absolutely NO benefit over a carb
and a lot of downside.