Jeep Pull

Old December 9th 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Coasty[_6_]

Default Jeep Pull

I haven't posted in awhile been duck the flame wars and filling my kill file
but found this interesting.

Last week some of my friends went out and did a little playing in the woods
in all they had a great time. Then the topic came up, which jeep was better
a V6 engine or a I6 engine. Well as they usually do the fellas came up with
a test.

They hooked a tow strap to an I6 and V6 powered jeep ran the tow strap
tight. Once the hat was dropped the dirt flew and there was no contest the
I6 jeep pulled the V6 jeep back about 5 feet. Then it was a draw they both
sat there slinging mud. It did not matter who drove the I6 beat out the V6
every time. They were both X models

Coasty

Old December 9th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Both had the same gear ratio in trans and axles? Both engines were at the
same RPM? Tire sizes identical?

Old December 9th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Roy[_2_]

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
news
> Both had the same gear ratio in trans and axles? Both engines were at the
> same RPM? Tire sizes identical?

Gotta ask. Were the tires the same? Not the size, but tread, width and tire
pressure. Also was the weight of the two Jeeps the same? One last, was one a
automatic trans?

Ineresting pull to hash over a couple of beers but...........

Old December 9th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke

Coasty wrote:
> I haven't posted in awhile been duck the flame wars and filling my
> kill file but found this interesting.
>
> Last week some of my friends went out and did a little playing in
> the
> woods in all they had a great time. Then the topic came up, which
> jeep was better a V6 engine or a I6 engine. Well as they usually do
> the fellas came up with a test.
>
> They hooked a tow strap to an I6 and V6 powered jeep ran the tow
> strap
> tight. Once the hat was dropped the dirt flew and there was no
> contest the I6 jeep pulled the V6 jeep back about 5 feet. Then it
> was a draw they both sat there slinging mud. It did not matter who
> drove the I6 beat out the V6 every time. They were both X models

Did the V6 stall or run backwards or did it just not have as much
traction or what?

Just saying that "the I6 beat the V6" doesn't tell us much.

> Coasty

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old December 9th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

That fits with the nature of the beast. Straight engines are noted for
low end power, V engines are noted as highway cruisers.

At least our straight sixes can 'still' run nice at 120 kph or 70 mph
where there is no help for the V's lack of low end without serious
compromise...

If both were the basic X model like mentioned, it was a fair test.

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old December 9th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 11:14:33 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>That fits with the nature of the beast. Straight engines are noted for
>low end power, V engines are noted as highway cruisers.
>
>At least our straight sixes can 'still' run nice at 120 kph or 70 mph
>where there is no help for the V's lack of low end without serious
>compromise...
>
>If both were the basic X model like mentioned, it was a fair test.

Fair test? You gotta be kidding. If you're gonna compare engines,
everything else has to be the same or the test is worthless. The two
engines didn't even come in the same Jeep.

Old December 9th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

"bllsht" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 11:14:33 -0500, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
>>That fits with the nature of the beast. Straight engines are noted for
>>low end power, V engines are noted as highway cruisers.
>>
>>At least our straight sixes can 'still' run nice at 120 kph or 70 mph
>>where there is no help for the V's lack of low end without serious
>>compromise...
>>
>>If both were the basic X model like mentioned, it was a fair test.

> Fair test? You gotta be kidding. If you're gonna compare engines,
> everything else has to be the same or the test is worthless. The two
> engines didn't even come in the same Jeep.

I agree with Mike on the merits of an inline 6 vs a V6, but I also agree
that the "comparison" is of apples and oranges.

Old December 9th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_9974_]

And was the straight six in fifth gear to make it even?
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old December 9th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_9975_]

And who's on top of the hill. And who takes the chicken trail.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old December 10th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Pink Freud©®

Default Jerk & Pull

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 13:58:29 -0800, L.W. (Bill) Hughes III wrote:

> And who's on top of the hill.

Not you, Cooyon, you're far, far over the hill. You crested at about age
40 (mental age about 15).

> And who takes the chicken trail.

Well, who else could it possibly be other than our resident *BAWK* *BAWK*
*BAWK* *BAWK* *BAWK*er, Billiebawk Hughes.

"Here comes Billie Yellow-tail
*BAWK*ing down the chicken trail....."

Nobody does it better, Cooyon, but you've had a full life of experience.

In this one thing, you are the winner.

And the wiener.

Congrats, fatman.

--
The only bush I've ever really wanted is George.

-- L.W.(Cooyon Billie) Hughes v.3

6 minute pull? LLBrown VW air cooled 4 May 26th 07 12:31 AM
What do I need to pull this part? Jack-Jack Jeep 4 October 29th 05 05:00 PM
How to pull out rotor arm? Yvan Audi 3 March 15th 05 07:18 PM
First engine pull Remco VW air cooled 27 February 10th 05 07:21 PM
never pull a floor Sexy Bored Nutcase General 0 January 17th 05 02:01 PM