A Next Camaro Takes A Step Forward?

Old April 14th 05, 03:12 AM

Default A Next Camaro Takes A Step Forward?

Sounds good! At least GM is now publically talking about a new Camaro.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.

---
By Ed Garsten

General Motors Corp. is working on a new rear-wheel-drive platform that
could be the basis for a vehicle reminiscent of the departed Chevrolet
Camaro and Pontiac Firebird sport coupes.

"We're going to take another look at high performance rear-wheel
drive," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said Tuesday at the Society of
Automotive Engineers' 2005 World Congress.

In March, GM suspended plans to bring out a new generation of
rear-wheel-drive vehicles for the North American market, citing
uncompetitive costs.

The new platform -- known internally as Zeta -- served as the
underpinnings for the popular Buick Velite concept car that debuted on
the 2004 auto show circuit.

Jim Queen, GM vice president of global engineering, told The Detroit
News in an interview this week that the automaker is now working on a
rear-wheel-drive platform that would be more cost-effective, and could
result in a Camaro-like vehicle.

"There's a Camaro hook in all of us," Queen said. "It may not be a
Camaro, but there's a lot of us inside our company and outside our
company that feel very passionate about it."

Queen said the new platform, or architecture, could be some form of
Zeta or the Sigma rear-wheel-drive architecture used by Cadillac's new
rear-wheel-drive sedans and crossover.

"It's going to be something I sort of call Zeta-light," Lutz said.

The Camaro and its twin, the Pontiac Firebird, were favorites of young
drivers who loved tooling around in a powerful, muscle car at a
moderate price.

But the cars fell from favor in the late 1990s as young consumers
shifted to sport utility vehicles and front-wheel drive passenger cars
and production ended in 2002.
---

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old April 14th 05, 03:35 AM
John

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sounds good! At least GM is now publically talking about a new Camaro.
> Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I wonder what brought this on? Duh!

--
John
ThunderSnake #59

Old April 14th 05, 04:37 AM

John wrote:

> > Sounds good! At least GM is now publically talking about a new

Camaro.
> > Let's keep our fingers crossed.

> I wonder what brought this on? Duh!

John,

You got that right! And you know the enthusiats inside GM have to
whinning like hell about wanting to get a new Camaro built to steal
some of that strong pony car sales.

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old April 14th 05, 04:52 AM
RichA

On 13 Apr 2005 19:12:25 -0700, wrote:

>Sounds good! At least GM is now publically talking about a new Camaro.
> Let's keep our fingers crossed.
>
>---
>By Ed Garsten
>
>General Motors Corp. is working on a new rear-wheel-drive platform that
>could be the basis for a vehicle reminiscent of the departed Chevrolet
>Camaro and Pontiac Firebird sport coupes.
>
>"We're going to take another look at high performance rear-wheel
>drive," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said Tuesday at the Society of
>Automotive Engineers' 2005 World Congress.
>
>In March, GM suspended plans to bring out a new generation of
>rear-wheel-drive vehicles for the North American market, citing
>uncompetitive costs.
>
>The new platform -- known internally as Zeta -- served as the
>underpinnings for the popular Buick Velite concept car that debuted on
>the 2004 auto show circuit.
>
>Jim Queen, GM vice president of global engineering, told The Detroit
>News in an interview this week that the automaker is now working on a
>rear-wheel-drive platform that would be more cost-effective, and could
>result in a Camaro-like vehicle.
>
>"There's a Camaro hook in all of us," Queen said. "It may not be a
>Camaro, but there's a lot of us inside our company and outside our
>company that feel very passionate about it."
>
>Queen said the new platform, or architecture, could be some form of
>Zeta or the Sigma rear-wheel-drive architecture used by Cadillac's new
>rear-wheel-drive sedans and crossover.
>
>"It's going to be something I sort of call Zeta-light," Lutz said.
>
>The Camaro and its twin, the Pontiac Firebird, were favorites of young
>drivers who loved tooling around in a powerful, muscle car at a
>moderate price.

I should point out that the price of those cars was NOT moderate by
any strech of the imagination when they went out. Fully outfitted
models went for almost $40,000 and when you factor in the insurance
(they had twice the accident claims cost as the average Mustang)
that "young person" could easily pay for a higher-end American,
European or Japanese car (non-sports). The idea of using a Cadillac
platform or any components means they're making the same STUPID
mistake they made with the GTO; A car whose cost was only exceeded by
it's boredom factor.
-Rich
Old April 14th 05, 06:48 AM
Wound Up

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> John wrote:
>
>> > Sounds good! At least GM is now publically talking about a new

> Camaro.
>> > Let's keep our fingers crossed.

>> I wonder what brought this on? Duh!

> John,
>
> You got that right! And you know the enthusiats inside GM have to
> whinning like hell about wanting to get a new Camaro built to steal
> some of that strong pony car sales.

All I can say is that the LT-1 and LS-1 motors are excellent IMNSHO. The
Tremec T56 transmission is of course excellent as well. It's a Tremec.
But, the last Camaro / Firebird's fit and finish, and structural rigidity
ARE FOR ****. I won't be impressed until they address that and the
cheap-ass 80s Cavalier interior controls. The 97 "ooh-ahh 30th anniversary"
SS my brother-in-law owns now as 120,000 on it. Drivetrain? Still nearly
as good as ever. Interior, paint and rubber? ****. Its seats are coming
apart, window and driver's seat motors don't work, plastic switches are
popping out, and the cowl shake and t-top leaks are RIDICULOUS. The CD
player crapped out 2 years ago. And it's still being paid for. He now
hates it, and wishes he'd bought the 96 Mustang GT instead. I bite my
tongue when he bitches. "How much for xyz and I still have a leaky, jaunty
piece of **** I can't work on? Great..."

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old April 14th 05, 06:56 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

If this is GM's strong statement regarding a new Camaro I sure hope the
mullet heads aren't holding their breath waiting on an F-body
replacement. Terms like "working on", "take another look", "could
result" and "It may not be a Camaro" doesn't exactly show a strong
commitment. Sounds like a lot of GM BS to me.

Old April 15th 05, 01:05 AM
Joe

I thought GM dumped the Zeta platform. We even read it in here
somewhere.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

Old April 15th 05, 03:01 AM
Joe

Sorry to answer my own post, but I knew I read that the Zeta platform
was dead:
http://www.forbes.com/home/columnist...0325flint.html
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...A01-123402.htm

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Joe > wrote in news:OyD7e.78868$wo1.24219
@bignews6.bellsouth.net: