Selecting a good mechanic

Old May 12th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.misc

Default Selecting a good mechanic

Greetings-
I noticed a couple of posting regarding contractors, and mechanics,
etc. So I like to ask this general question how do you deal with
service providers? How do you hold the accountable for the work that
they do? How do I know the estimate they give me is not over inflated?
I am not a mechanic, how can I know they are honest? They generally
charge for estimates, do I have to pay for another estimate if I want
to check the mechanic, or contractor's honesty? Besides how can you
tell who is good at what they do? Seems there is difference
certifications like ASE master mechanic, electricians, etc. Is there a
website that you recommands mechanics and you can generally trust them?

Regards-
Sean

Old May 13th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.misc

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Greetings-
> I noticed a couple of posting regarding contractors, and mechanics,
> etc. So I like to ask this general question how do you deal with
> service providers? How do you hold the accountable for the work that
> they do? How do I know the estimate they give me is not over inflated?
> I am not a mechanic, how can I know they are honest? They generally
> charge for estimates, do I have to pay for another estimate if I want
> to check the mechanic, or contractor's honesty? Besides how can you
> tell who is good at what they do? Seems there is difference
> certifications like ASE master mechanic, electricians, etc. Is there a
> website that you recommands mechanics and you can generally trust them?
>

> Regards-
> Sean

Just like any other service providers i.e.. roofers, doctors, furniture
mover, etc. there are good ones and bad ones. The best chance of getting a
square deal is to be an informed consumer. In the case of auto repair it
means keeping abreast of automotive trends and taking the time to learn some
things about the mechanical operation of your car. Next, good references
are one way to find the better service shops. Ask around at work and among
friends. Just about everyone has had to have their car worked on at some
time or another, and those people can tell you if they had a good experience
or not. There are internet sites that post various certifications maintained
by some shops (www.asecert.org), but credentials are not always what they
are meant to be. It helps to be a good judge of character, but not many
people are. Use your common sense and look around any repair shop you are
considering for servicing your car. If it looks clean and the techs look
professional, then you have a better chance of getting good service. Always
be frank with the service manager and let him know up front what kind of
treatment you expect, but be respectful and courteous. Always get an
estimate, with the repairs contingent on your approval. Avoid shops that can
not or will not give estimates. Keep in mind that no one wants to work for
free so even an estimate may cost you something. On expensive repairs that
approach the price of your cars actual value, it is usually advisable to get
a second opinion. Good communication is often the key to a successful
service experience.

Hope this helps.

--
Kevin Mouton