89 Audio Question

Old April 4th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim C[_2_]

Default 89 Audio Question

If there's anyone out there who can answer this, they're on this
list...

I have an 89 convertible, my third Fox - body. My others were a 92
and 93. The later models have a speaker grill in the back seat trim
panel, but my 89 doesn't. It actually has an 'indent' set up like an
arm rest. I have redone the audio in each Mustang, and I'm now on my
second redo for the 89 (long story). The first time I did the 89, I
just assumed I'd have to live without the rear seat speakers, and
missed 'em. Since then, I've done some work on the rear quarter
windows, and found there ARE speakers behind the trim panel. They
seem to be factory, although when I got the car, someone else had done
audio work on the car, and they weren't hooked up. I'm not sure how
effective speakers in this location would be, as there's no speaker
grill, and they just fire into the back of a carpeted plastic trim
panel.

My question is were these speakers 'live' from the factory? Can they
be effective firing through the trim panel? It seems like they would
be muffled at best, unless they were meant to be bass only, like a
mini-sub, or unless that trim panel is built different there, somehow
thinner. I'd love to have back seat audio if it's possible, but if
they won't be effective, I'll have to live without 'em.

Any ideas, anyone?
Old April 5th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
jonezzzman[_2_]

Jim C wrote:
> If there's anyone out there who can answer this, they're on this
> list...
>
> I have an 89 convertible, my third Fox - body. My others were a 92
> and 93. The later models have a speaker grill in the back seat trim
> panel, but my 89 doesn't. It actually has an 'indent' set up like an
> arm rest. I have redone the audio in each Mustang, and I'm now on my
> second redo for the 89 (long story). The first time I did the 89, I
> just assumed I'd have to live without the rear seat speakers, and
> missed 'em. Since then, I've done some work on the rear quarter
> windows, and found there ARE speakers behind the trim panel. They
> seem to be factory, although when I got the car, someone else had done
> audio work on the car, and they weren't hooked up. I'm not sure how
> effective speakers in this location would be, as there's no speaker
> grill, and they just fire into the back of a carpeted plastic trim
> panel.
>
> My question is were these speakers 'live' from the factory? Can they
> be effective firing through the trim panel? It seems like they would
> be muffled at best, unless they were meant to be bass only, like a
> mini-sub, or unless that trim panel is built different there, somehow
> thinner. I'd love to have back seat audio if it's possible, but if
> they won't be effective, I'll have to live without 'em.
>
> Any ideas, anyone?

don't know the answer to your questions. However, seems it'd be more
likely that someone replaced or customized the trim panels to cover up
the speakers on purpose. Especially, if a custom sound system was
installed. My 89 (hatchback) has a grills that unscrews from speakers.
Don't know if that helps...but thats my 2 cents.
Old April 6th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Scott W.

"Jim C" > wrote
> Can they be effective firing through the trim panel?

No, and they're probably crappy paper cones with weak magnets anyways. The
only thing effective through a back seat would be an 8" or larger subwoofer
with a decent amplifier

> Any ideas, anyone?

If it's just a piece of trim, use an aftermarket speaker of the same size.
They almost always come with new grilles and will cover the holes you'll
need to cut through the trim panels that are there. Don't worry, any
reputable brand will have a cutout template also. Plus you'll get much
better sound than from the crappy factory stuff that was installed during
those years. If those speakers are original, then the surrounds are most
probably dry rotted out and the cone will fail the first time you put any
decent kind of power to them. Crappy fuzz sound would come out if anything
came out at all.

If you have questions, feel free to email me. I don't know you're specific
car, but I've done many many installs that included custom kickpanels and/or
door panels, amp installs, etc.

Hope I helped a little.

Scott W.
1968 Ranchero 500
1969 Mustang Sportsroof

Old April 29th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ironrod

My 88 is built the same way, the trim panel has slots cut into it in front
of the speakers and they fire through the carpet, and yes you can hear them.
When replacing you need to get a shallow mount 6 1/2 or go down a size and
use an adapter ring, (I did the latter). For better imaging you might want
to put in a surface mount tweeter just bellow the rear window switch.

"Jim C" > wrote in message
> If there's anyone out there who can answer this, they're on this
> list...
>
> I have an 89 convertible, my third Fox - body. My others were a 92
> and 93. The later models have a speaker grill in the back seat trim
> panel, but my 89 doesn't. It actually has an 'indent' set up like an
> arm rest. I have redone the audio in each Mustang, and I'm now on my
> second redo for the 89 (long story). The first time I did the 89, I
> just assumed I'd have to live without the rear seat speakers, and
> missed 'em. Since then, I've done some work on the rear quarter
> windows, and found there ARE speakers behind the trim panel. They
> seem to be factory, although when I got the car, someone else had done
> audio work on the car, and they weren't hooked up. I'm not sure how
> effective speakers in this location would be, as there's no speaker
> grill, and they just fire into the back of a carpeted plastic trim
> panel.
>
> My question is were these speakers 'live' from the factory? Can they
> be effective firing through the trim panel? It seems like they would
> be muffled at best, unless they were meant to be bass only, like a
> mini-sub, or unless that trim panel is built different there, somehow
> thinner. I'd love to have back seat audio if it's possible, but if
> they won't be effective, I'll have to live without 'em.
>
> Any ideas, anyone?

2004 Honda Accord EX w/ nav audio problem - no audio Jeff Papineau Honda 3 June 29th 07 04:00 AM
Fit audio question Arklier Honda 1 June 7th 07 09:38 PM
Car Audio question: Anyone tried a IPOD CONNECTION RETROFIT KIT DCA BMW 12 May 10th 06 10:49 PM
Question about audio jack [email protected] Saturn 7 February 25th 06 06:36 PM
DSP Audio Question Jason BMW 0 January 3rd 06 12:59 PM