Noise Level On Directional & Asymmetric Tires ? (and, relative toNokian WR G3)

Old November 20th 17, 11:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Noise Level On Directional & Asymmetric Tires ? (and, relative toNokian WR G3)

Hi,

Son and I are both using Nokian WR G3 tires.He has a Subaru Outback.

He loves them in the snow and ice conditions, but is always complaining
about the noise on a dry road.

I have them too, on my 2009 Buick LaCrosse, but they seem pretty quiet
to me. But my hearing isn't that great anymore.

I looked into the tire specs a bit, and was surprised to see that
the Nokian WR G3 seem to come in different "flavors" depending on size.

My son's tires are "Directional", while mine are "Asymmetric".

So, I guess they mfg. them in very different thread patterns.

Could this be the difference in the perceived noise levels" ?

Just looked at the CR tire ratings, and for the Nokian WR G3 they
indicate the best rating in their group under "Noise".
But they don't say for what size tire they tested.

Thanks,
bob
Old November 24th 17, 10:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Basia

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 3:41:10 AM UTC-8, Bob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Son and I are both using Nokian WR G3 tires.He has a Subaru Outback.
>
> He loves them in the snow and ice conditions, but is always complaining
> about the noise on a dry road.
>
> I have them too, on my 2009 Buick LaCrosse, but they seem pretty quiet
> to me. But my hearing isn't that great anymore.
>
> I looked into the tire specs a bit, and was surprised to see that
> the Nokian WR G3 seem to come in different "flavors" depending on size.
>
> My son's tires are "Directional", while mine are "Asymmetric".
>
> So, I guess they mfg. them in very different thread patterns.
>
> Could this be the difference in the perceived noise levels" ?
>
> Just looked at the CR tire ratings, and for the Nokian WR G3 they
> indicate the best rating in their group under "Noise".
> But they don't say for what size tire they tested.
>
> Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> bob

Generally speaking tires show noise differences
depending on milage. If your son has more miles
on his tires its possible they've become louder.

I hope someone who knows Nokian tire, has experience
with both types, directional and asymetric can
answer your question in more detail.

Basia
Old November 24th 17, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Bob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Son and I are both using Nokian WR G3 tires.He has a Subaru Outback.
>
> He loves them in the snow and ice conditions, but is always complaining about the noise on
> a dry road.
>
> I have them too, on my 2009 Buick LaCrosse, but they seem pretty quiet to me. But my
> hearing isn't that great anymore.
>
> I looked into the tire specs a bit, and was surprised to see that
> the Nokian WR G3 seem to come in different "flavors" depending on size.
>
> My son's tires are "Directional", while mine are "Asymmetric".
>
> So, I guess they mfg. them in very different thread patterns.
>
> Could this be the difference in the perceived noise levels" ?
>
> Just looked at the CR tire ratings, and for the Nokian WR G3 they
> indicate the best rating in their group under "Noise".
> But they don't say for what size tire they tested.
>
> Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> bob

Small sporty cars are always noisier than big cars.
I rent on average 2 cars per month with the car type being
what ever is available at the destination.
I usually wear ear plugs in small cars.
Rented an Outback in Montana. It was a fun car but really noisy.
Rented a Buick in Oklahoma. It was a nice car. Earplugs not needed.