Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers in decades)

Old December 6th 17, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers indecades)

[other newsgroup removed]

On 12/06/2017 06:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/6/2017 12:00 AM, micky wrote:
>>
>> Shopping for a car a couple months ago, guy had a beautiful red Mustang,
>> special black trim, special power chip for ignition, car 12 years old
>> but interior (leather), exterior, engine compartment like new. etc.
>> Stick shift.

Friend had a 68 Mustang. I drove it occasionally. Nothing special.
The friend spent god knows how much money "restoring" it TWICE and then
never drove it because it rattled. I hope it has a better home now.
It's pretty, but it's just ordinary to drive.

>> One of his teenage sons was sort of trying to learn to
>> drive it and the other wasn't even learning to drive! The normal thing
>> to do would be to give the car to his son, but neither could handle it.

> Times have changed. When we were in our early teens we were driving
> with dad in the parking lot and could not wait until we were 16. My
> brother turned 16 on a Thursday and passed his test on Saturday. I was
> about 2 weeks after my birthday taking mine.

Everybody I knew got their license as soon as possible. Driving was
freedom. Still is.

> Now, having the latest cell phone is more important than cars and
> driving. Stick shift? Nah, they can't do it.

They can't fix them either. Not that today's cars are fixable by people
who only do it because they can't afford to have it done :-(

When reality slaps these kids in the face it's really going to hurt.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If God had wanted us to use the metric system,
Old December 6th 17, 09:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tekkie®

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

> On 12/6/2017 12:00 AM, micky wrote:
>

> > Shopping for a car a couple months ago, guy had a beautiful red Mustang,
> > special black trim, special power chip for ignition, car 12 years old
> > but interior (leather), exterior, engine compartment like new. etc.
> > Stick shift. One of his teenage sons was sort of trying to learn to
> > drive it and the other wasn't even learning to drive! The normal thing
> > to do would be to give the car to his son, but neither could handle it.
> >

> Times have changed. When we were in our early teens we were driving
> with dad in the parking lot and could not wait until we were 16. My
> brother turned 16 on a Thursday and passed his test on Saturday. I was
> about 2 weeks after my birthday taking mine.
>
> Now, having the latest cell phone is more important than cars and
> driving. Stick shift? Nah, they can't do it.

I think even the opposite gender is not important to them...

--
Tekkie
Old December 6th 17, 10:37 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
SMS

On 12/5/2017 3:58 PM, Clifford Heath wrote:
> On 05/12/17 14:48, harry newton wrote:
>> He who is Oren said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:54:05 -0800:
>>
>>> It really is a shame when college kids can't fix a scratchy sounding
>>> speaker. A speaker smarter than a snowflake. with a safe place.

>> The whole family is girls.

> All the more reason to encourage them to learn to make and fix stuff.
> Geek girls rock!

My wife, before we were married, installed a car stereo in her car. My
daughter is very good with that kind of stuff. In the Americorp
organization she joined after college, they do outdoor education and
they train everyone in the use of power tools and in construction
techniques. I helped out last weekend building garden beds. I pre-cut
all the lumber and brought it. Her fellow volunteers were very good at
putting the whole thing together, drilling, screwing pieces together,
and understanding the whole design. I don't know if they could have
planned the whole design and done it in a way that minimized lumber
costs, and that did not depend on the fasteners for structural
integrity. OTOH, my son was never into any of this kind of stuff.

My belief is that the lack of mechanical ability among many youth and
adults is based on two things:

1. Japanese cars. Far fewer mechanical breakdowns and less maintenance
led to the end of dads spending time with their kids showing them how to
change oil, plugs, points, rotors, and adjust timing on high-maintenance
vehicles. The whole skill set of using tools and fixing cars was lost.
Car maintenance teaches skills that are transferable to many other
applications.

2. Immigrants from countries with low-cost labor. My Indian friend told
me that it took a lot of getting used to life in the U.S. because in
India even middle class people have multiple servants to help out, i.e.
cooks, cleaners, gardeners, drivers, etc.. In China, labor is so cheap
that the middle class hires laborers and there is no "do-it-yourself"
mentality, it is viewed as demeaning to do home improvements like
painting or fixing plumbing problems. In the U.S., skilled and unskilled
labor is expensive so the "do-it-yourself" mentality and infrastructure
developed.
Old December 6th 17, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 6:33:53 PM UTC-10, Clare Snyder wrote:
> A good indicator of quality is magnet mass. If it has a tiny little
> piddler of a magnet it will not handle any power - particularly bass.
> Then lookat the cone material, and the surround. The spider is also
> important- The basket is less critical - but in a large powerfull
> speaker the basket will be MUCH solider than on a cheap-ass speaker.
> If youfind a speaker with a cast aluminum basket you know you are
> looking at a higher quality speaker - and if it is stamped steel, the
> heavier the better.
>
> Poor suspension spiders and surrounds will let the voice-coil scuff
> on the magnet core - which makes a speaker rattle. A flexible basket
> can do the same. The surround compliance is different on a speaker
> designed for an accoustic suspension box than for a bass reflex, or an
> open baffle like in the average auto rear deck. Toyota actually used
> accoustic suspension on some of the "premium" sound systems years ago.
>
> LOTS of things you can look at.
>
> I have a pair of OEM Toyota speakers from the eighties sitting here,
> as well as a pair of speakers from a Zenith TV of about the same
> period - virtually the same size - and the Toyota speaker is
> significantly heavier. Thicker cone, thicker basket metal, and more
> rigid design - as well as a MUCH larger and stronger magnet, The
> Zenith also uses an "m"formed paper surround, while the Toyota uses a
> rubber surround. I've got a "tin ear" but even I can tell the
> difference between the two.
>
> The drivers in my AudioResearch towers are MUCH heavier than my
> no-name set too - and I replaced the foam surrounds that had totally
> "disolved" from age with new high-quality synthetic rubber surrounds -
> on both the active and passive 14 inch cones.
>
> In automotive speakers the basket rigidity is more important because
> of the "G" forces experienced when driving on rough roads. The cheap
> speaker might sound good when installed - but it may be pretty auful
> two years later.

My guess is that for an automobile speaker, it's important that it be constructed from materials that can withstand the temperature changes and UV light. You probably can't build car speakers out of the same materials as regular home speakers and they probably wouldn't sound that great in a home system. My 2006 Sonata had an awesome factory sound system. Too bad my daughter totaled it. That's the brakes.
Old December 7th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 11:37:08 AM UTC-10, sms wrote:

> My wife, before we were married, installed a car stereo in her car. My
> daughter is very good with that kind of stuff. In the Americorp
> organization she joined after college, they do outdoor education and
> they train everyone in the use of power tools and in construction
> techniques. I helped out last weekend building garden beds. I pre-cut
> all the lumber and brought it. Her fellow volunteers were very good at
> putting the whole thing together, drilling, screwing pieces together,
> and understanding the whole design. I don't know if they could have
> planned the whole design and done it in a way that minimized lumber
> costs, and that did not depend on the fasteners for structural
> integrity. OTOH, my son was never into any of this kind of stuff.
>
> My belief is that the lack of mechanical ability among many youth and
> adults is based on two things:
>
> 1. Japanese cars. Far fewer mechanical breakdowns and less maintenance
> led to the end of dads spending time with their kids showing them how to
> change oil, plugs, points, rotors, and adjust timing on high-maintenance
> vehicles. The whole skill set of using tools and fixing cars was lost.
> Car maintenance teaches skills that are transferable to many other
> applications.
>
> 2. Immigrants from countries with low-cost labor. My Indian friend told
> me that it took a lot of getting used to life in the U.S. because in
> India even middle class people have multiple servants to help out, i.e.
> cooks, cleaners, gardeners, drivers, etc.. In China, labor is so cheap
> that the middle class hires laborers and there is no "do-it-yourself"
> mentality, it is viewed as demeaning to do home improvements like
> painting or fixing plumbing problems. In the U.S., skilled and unskilled
> labor is expensive so the "do-it-yourself" mentality and infrastructure
> developed.

The electromechanical world that we grew up with has been replaced with the digital/informational age. We don't give kids erector sets, we give them Nintendo/Playstation sets. Toolboxes are no longer important for getting things done - the cell phone is. These days, dad has no idea on how to work on cars because the engine is controlled by computers.

My guess is that cars will be a lot easier to repair when the switchover to electrics comes to pass. When that time comes, we'll repair problems by switching out motors and control modules. Easy-peasy.
Old December 7th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

Old December 7th 17, 01:05 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

On 12/6/2017 4:37 PM, sms wrote:

> My belief is that the lack of mechanical ability among many youth and
> adults is based on two things:
>
> 1. Japanese cars. Far fewer mechanical breakdowns and less maintenance
> led to the end of dads spending time with their kids showing them how to
> change oil, plugs, points, rotors, and adjust timing on high-maintenance
> vehicles. The whole skill set of using tools and fixing cars was lost.
> Car maintenance teaches skills that are transferable to many other
> applications.

Better standard of living is part of that. We drove some really cheap
cars that broke down frequently too. We had a part time job to buy a
$50 car. Now daddy buys junior a fairly new more reliable car.

> 2. Immigrants from countries with low-cost labor. My Indian friend told
> me that it took a lot of getting used to life in the U.S. because in
> India even middle class people have multiple servants to help out, i.e.
> cooks, cleaners, gardeners, drivers, etc.. In China, labor is so cheap
> that the middle class hires laborers and there is no "do-it-yourself"
> mentality, it is viewed as demeaning to do home improvements like
> painting or fixing plumbing problems.

I could learn to like that.