hard to start

Old June 5th 05, 02:10 PM
curbrider

Default hard to start

i have a 91 jeep cherokee 4.0 its hard to start at first when i shut it off
it restarts just fine i let it sit about 15 min its hard to start again

Old June 5th 05, 02:26 PM
Mike Romain

At that age, I would suspect a dirty computer sensor connection affected
by heat.

The likely one is the CPS plug and socket sitting on top of the exhaust
manifold behind the throttle body.

The other two that contribute are the TPS and IAC on the throttle body.

I would recommend you open these plugs and sockets and clean them with a
spray contact cleaner. An electronic contact cleaner is the best, but
WD40 will work ok too. I use dielectric grease on the plug seal skirts
when I put it back on. They seem to stay cleaner longer with it on.

Then I would hear about it if I didn't mention the ground strap from the
engine head to the firewall. ;-) That gets dirty and actually crumbles
with age as well. Because it is on the head, heat affects it too.

If you haven't put a new distributor cap and rotor in recently, they
would be worth a look at or replacement. That 'usually' acts up in
humidity more than heat though....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 5th 05, 06:07 PM
curbrider

I have been dealing with this hard to start jeep for six months the
cleaning did the trick i second URR THE MAN!!!

Old June 5th 05, 10:30 PM
Lon

curbrider proclaimed:

> i have a 91 jeep cherokee 4.0 its hard to start at first when i shut it off
> it restarts just fine i let it sit about 15 min its hard to start again

Describe "hard to start" a bit more completely.

If hard to start means that the engine cranks for a few seconds before
it starts....and only does this after the engine has been off for a
while, the next time you try it first turn the key to the on
position but do not try to start. You should hear the fuel pump
run for a couple seconds and then quit. If you can then turn the
key off and back on and it starts, you have a pressure leakdown.
Old June 5th 05, 10:58 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ditto.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 6th 05, 12:59 AM
Jerry Bransford

Odds are it's the anti-drainback valve is leaking fuel down from the
injector rail. The anti-drainback valve's function is to allow flow
into the fuel-injector fuel rail but not back out of the rail. If the
fuel rail has has its gas drain out, it takes a few seconds for the fuel
pump to get fuel back to the distributors.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old June 6th 05, 01:55 AM
Stephen Cowell

"Jerry Bransford" > wrote in message
> Odds are it's the anti-drainback valve is leaking fuel down from the
> injector rail. The anti-drainback valve's function is to allow flow
> into the fuel-injector fuel rail but not back out of the rail. If the
> fuel rail has has its gas drain out, it takes a few seconds for the fuel
> pump to get fuel back to the distributors.

On my '93 XJ that was easy to test... take off the
bleeder port cap, and depress the Schrader valve
with a small sharp instrument... have a rag handy,
and wear eye protection! You should get a spurt
of gasoline under pressure if your system is working
well.

The safest way to do this would be with a
fuel-pressure bleeder-gauge rig... pretty
cheap, and indispensable when troubleshooting
FI problems. Mine cost about $40... bonus,
you can fill your mower without sucking on
a tube!
__
Steve
..

Old June 6th 05, 02:11 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It's hell when we feel we must warn people what pressured gasoline
may do.
That extra R-12 gauge and fittings should be perfect to read the
forty pounds, ninety pinched return line.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/