Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers in decades)

Old December 4th 17, 11:54 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Oren[_2_]

Default Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers in decades)

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 20:56:03 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
> wrote:

>That's a good idea to wiggle wires (I haven't done speakers in years).
>The car is at college so it only comes home to do laundry.
>
>When it comes home, the neighbor will call me and I'll be ready.

It really is a shame when college kids can't fix a scratchy sounding
speaker. A speaker smarter than a snowflake. with a safe place.

WTF is the world coming to.
Old December 5th 17, 01:14 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

On 12/4/2017 5:54 PM, Oren wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 20:56:03 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
> > wrote:
>

>> That's a good idea to wiggle wires (I haven't done speakers in years).
>> The car is at college so it only comes home to do laundry.
>>
>> When it comes home, the neighbor will call me and I'll be ready.

> It really is a shame when college kids can't fix a scratchy sounding
> speaker. A speaker smarter than a snowflake. with a safe place.
>
> WTF is the world coming to.

Hey, take it easy on the kid. He's going to have a master's degree in
4th century Greek sculpture and $70,000 in student loans. The world
need people like that contributing to society don't they? Somebody has
to make the fries.
Old December 5th 17, 02:02 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 5/12/2017 7:56 AM, harry newton wrote:
> He who is Oren said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 12:33:32 -0800:
>
>> I'll defer to the expertise of others, but if you wiggle the wire does
>> the "scratchy sound" increase?
>>
>> Perhaps a speaker wire connection is less than satisfactory. Ground
>> wire on the stereo needs to be checked -- maybe?

> That's a good idea to wiggle wires (I haven't done speakers in years).
> The car is at college so it only comes home to do laundry.
>
> When it comes home, the neighbor will call me and I'll be ready.
>
> What I'll do is:
> a. Try to find a test speaker of about 20 watts b. Make a set of jumper
> wires to jump one side to the other
> c. Wiggle the wires to see if the speaker or the radio is bad
>
> Incidentally, after ripping out the interior in the back, the new grills
> from the Toyota dealer went in easily after drilling out the old
> heat-melted posts.
> <http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker1.jpg>
>
> The dealer parts came with these round metal clips to fasten the posts:
> <http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker10.jpg>
>
> We originally thought the noise was because the grill was destroyed:
> <http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker3.jpg>
>
> I think the new speakers will have to come out through the top:
> <http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speaker6d52eb.jpg>

It's the only way you're getting them out of there. The top trim panel
should come out fairly easily and make access to the speaker retainers
easy as well.

--

Xeno
Old December 5th 17, 04:48 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
harry newton

He who is Oren said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:54:05 -0800:

> It really is a shame when college kids can't fix a scratchy sounding
> speaker. A speaker smarter than a snowflake. with a safe place.

The whole family is girls.
Old December 5th 17, 04:50 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:45:35 -0500, Clare Snyder
> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Dec 2017 11:35:37 -0500, micky >
>wrote:
>
>>In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:14:31 +0000 (UTC), harry
>>newton > wrote:
>>
>>>I haven't worked on speakers in decades.
>>><http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/12/04/speakers1.jpg>
>>>
>>>How do we debug a scratchy sound?
>>>We can isolate it with the balance to a single speaker.

>>Then it's the speaker. I'm assuming you used both the left-to-right
>>balance and the front-to-rear fader so you were really listening to only
>>one speaker at a time. If there is a problem in the left channel, it
>>will be heard in both the front and rear speaker.

>>>If it's the speaker, where is a good place (other than the dealer) to get

>>The dealer is a terrible place. Do they even sell speakers? ;;

> WEhy is it a terrible place"? -0 and of course they sell speakers.

AIUI, the dealers' speakers are no better than what they put in the car
originally, but it's possible things have changed. Anyoone know? If
they are no better than original, they are still useful when the
original ones have been ruined somehow.

>The right ones, that bolt in properly, even. Yes, they cost abit more
>than the ones that don't fit.

Who is talking about ones that don't fit? I've never bought a speaker
from Crutchfield that didn't fit just as the original one did, except
for one car. I knew from the specs printed in the catalog (before the
web) that it was too deep, but I hoped magic would allow me to get it in
there (or maybe I could pound out a dent in the outside of the door!).
Indeed, it was just the depth they said it was, and so was the hole in
my car and it didnt' fit. Hmm. I'm sure the dealer would have had
speakers that fit, but I don't know that they would have been any better
than what I had.

>>>speakers to fit a car rear deck? Are they all standard sizes nowadays? Or
>>>is each unique?

>>Crutchfield. Very reliable. Very helpful on the phone with real
>>people. They're in Charlotte, Va. and I'm in Baltimore and I ordered
>>something and I wasn't in a hurry but I got it the next day.

> They will likely have "universal" speakers and adapter brackets -
>which usually work OK - - - - -

Have you dealt with Cructchfield. No speaker I ever bought from them
used an adapter bracket, and none would be called universal. Of course
a 6x9x2.8" speaker can univerally fit every car that accespts speakers
of that size, but that doesn't make the speaker universal.

I won't be replacing my current speakers. Solaras don't use speaker
cover, except maybe on the dash. So to upgrade my speakers I'd have to,
I think, take off my entire inside front door panel or my entire rear
seat panel. After the fiasco of my last car, I'm not going to do that.

They do sell radios that require a bracket, because the face is not the
same exact shape as the original, or because one is changing from 2 or
1.5 DIN to 1 DIN, etc. But I don't think that's related.

Old December 5th 17, 05:32 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 Dec 2017 20:56:03 +0000 (UTC), harry
newton > wrote:

>He who is Oren said on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 12:33:32 -0800:
>
>> I'll defer to the expertise of others, but if you wiggle the wire does
>> the "scratchy sound" increase?
>>
>> Perhaps a speaker wire connection is less than satisfactory. Ground
>> wire on the stereo needs to be checked -- maybe?

>That's a good idea to wiggle wires (I haven't done speakers in years).
>The car is at college

You must be so proud. My car didn't even finish the 6th grade.

Old December 5th 17, 10:20 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Jack[_33_]

On 12/04/2017 10:50 PM, micky wrote:
> AIUI, the dealers' speakers are no better than what they put in the car
> originally, but it's possible things have changed. Anyoone know? If
> they are no better than original, they are still useful when the
> original ones have been ruined somehow.

Short of a volume limiter, I don't believe you can protect a speaker from a teenager.

Old December 5th 17, 01:59 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tim Schwartz

Good morning Harry,

I'd suggest going to the Crutchfield web site:

www.crutchfield.com

or more specifically:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-sqOT5U...rselector.aspx

They have speakers that are an exact fit, starting around $40, and will
have correct hardware and they will have adapter cables as well, if you
need them.

Regards,
Tim

Old December 5th 17, 08:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Oren > wrote:
>On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 20:44:17 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
> wrote:
>
>>I called the Toyota dealership and gave them the VIN where they told me
>>their price was $298 for a single OEM Pioneer 6x9 speaker + about $30 tax,
>>so, since I'll likely want to get a set, that would be $660 for the set.

>You can find a Pioneer 6x9 speaker for a better price than that,
>surely. If it fits the OEM -- why not?

Whereas you can get generic 6x9s from Parts Express for around $5 each,
for a total of $20 the set, and they probably won't be any worse than the
originals.
--scott

Old December 5th 17, 09:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Oren[_2_]

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 04:20:59 -0500, Jack > wrote:

>Short of a volume limiter, I don't believe you can protect a speaker from a teenager.

....Slowly raises hand. I could shake the pictures on the walls at
home. Once came up from the basement, after the stereo sound stopped.

Dang. A speaker was on fire. I threw it out the front door, in the
snow.