Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a car repair should take?

Old December 11th 17, 11:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Frank S[_2_]

Default Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a car repair should take?

In >,
micky said:

> I hate to bring up my blown engine again, but when I had my car towed
> into the shop last summer, he charged me about $90 for diagnosing the
> problem -- that's his standard rate -- even though I figure he knew what
> the problem was in 1 minute, just based on the sound.

1. All jobs have an *expected* flat rate time.
2. The flat rate time is published in a manual somewhere.
3. Every shop has access to that flat rate time manual (whether it's
Chiltons or Mitchells or All Data or the factory KSD).

Yes I am fully aware that some mechanics easily *beat* that flat rate time
and some mechanics take *longer* than that flat rate time - but the
mechanics still charge at the same flat rate time.

Yes. I am fully aware that to do a waterpump takes X flat rate time and to
do a timing belt takes Y flat rate time and do to them both does NOT take X
+ Y flat rate time.

Yes. I am fully aware that some shops still charge the X flat rate time
plus the Y flat rate time, while others charge X flat rate time plus
some-fraction-of Y flat rate time.

I'm fully aware of all this.
None of that is the question.

I wasn't aware that there is "dealer" flat rate time and "factory" flat
rate time, but that's just a complication that I can deal with depending on
what flat rate time I do find online.

What I don't know is WHERE to get the flat rate time online.
It might not exist online.

But that's why I ask.
Old December 11th 17, 02:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 11 Dec 2017 23:25:56 +1300, Frank S
> wrote:

>In >,
>micky said:
>
>> I hate to bring up my blown engine again, but when I had my car towed
>> into the shop last summer, he charged me about $90 for diagnosing the
>> problem -- that's his standard rate -- even though I figure he knew what
>> the problem was in 1 minute, just based on the sound.

>1. All jobs have an *expected* flat rate time.
>2. The flat rate time is published in a manual somewhere.
>3. Every shop has access to that flat rate time manual (whether it's
>Chiltons or Mitchells or All Data or the factory KSD).
>
>Yes I am fully aware that some mechanics easily *beat* that flat rate time
>and some mechanics take *longer* than that flat rate time - but the
>mechanics still charge at the same flat rate time.
>
>Yes. I am fully aware that to do a waterpump takes X flat rate time and to
>do a timing belt takes Y flat rate time and do to them both does NOT take X
>+ Y flat rate time.
>
>Yes. I am fully aware that some shops still charge the X flat rate time
>plus the Y flat rate time, while others charge X flat rate time plus
>some-fraction-of Y flat rate time.
>
>I'm fully aware of all this.
>None of that is the question.
>
>I wasn't aware that there is "dealer" flat rate time and "factory" flat
>rate time, but that's just a complication that I can deal with depending on
>what flat rate time I do find online.
>
>What I don't know is WHERE to get the flat rate time online.
>It might not exist online.
>
>But that's why I ask.

Did you google flat rate manual ?

this is the 5th hit for me:
http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/page/134522

As little as $55 if your car was made in 1977 or earlier

$112 for 2005.

Though I do wonder about this, 2005 Child Labor Guide CD-ROM
http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/product/1401878180

In the 60's, all there was was the book, and I had no idea where to get
that, or how to pay the equivalent of $880
Old December 11th 17, 03:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Ed Pawlowski

On 12/10/2017 10:04 PM, Ken Springer wrote:

>> Besides the mechanic's pay rate, add in employer matching
>> taxes, fees, licenses, inspections, insurance, rent,
>> property tax, supplies, fixtures, advertising and so on.

> Environmental fees, IE vapor control, cleaning solvent replacement, shop
> rags, all the other mandated regulations that must be followed.
>
> The average person simply has no clue any more, since most never grew up
> tinkering on cars in the back yard.

Those charges **** me off. Sure, they are real costs but so is
insurance, lighting, the water bill. It should be included in the shop
rate. They don't charge me different depending on whether or not the
mechanic had to flush the toilet while working on my car.

Most dealers have those charges built in as a percentage of the charges,
not based on actual use. Give me the rags and I'll take them to dispose
of them.
Old December 11th 17, 03:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
AMuzi

On 12/11/2017 4:06 AM, Frank S wrote:
> In <news > AMuzi said:
>
>> Chilton's doesn't express a value for dollars, just time.

> That's *exactly* what I want.
>
> a. Time.
> b. Online.
>
> Does it exist?

It sure does, as others have linked. But it's a compendium
of data from Chilton's or whoever for which they
(rightfully) charge a fee.

Nothing stops you from looking at your watch, doing the job
yourself and then looking at your watch again. If you want
a more convenient answer, buy a flat-rate manual.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old December 11th 17, 03:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Scott Dorsey

micky > wrote:
>In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 10 Dec 2017 19:17:24 -0400, pjp
> wrote:
>
>>What I dislike about their fixed cost repair arrangements is that if it
>>doesn't take that long we are giving them money for nothing

>I hate to bring up my blown engine again, but when I had my car towed
>into the shop last summer, he charged me about $90 for diagnosing the
>problem -- that's his standard rate -- even though I figure he knew what
>the problem was in 1 minute, just based on the sound.

Presumably you get that $90 refunded when you get an engine rebuild, though.
--scott

Old December 11th 17, 03:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Scott Dorsey

Frank S > wrote:
>In >,
>pjp said:
>
>> I'd be surprised if any such page exists that would/could remain valid
>> for entire country. Too much "local" pressures etc.

>A job takes the same amount of time in every part of the country.

Not necessarily.
Around here, brake jobs are easy. Up in Massachusetts where they salt the
roads, brake jobs on the same cars are hellish and take far longer.

>I know the paper books exist. It's what shops use to look the time up.
>Then they simply charge the time by their shop rate.
>
>It may not exist online - but what I'm asking for is the time.
>
>I just want the flat rate time. Online. If it exists.

Chilton's might have it online, but if so it won't be free. They are not
in the business of giving information out for free.
--scott

Old December 11th 17, 04:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Rene Lamontagne

On 12/11/2017 4:25 AM, Frank S wrote:
> In >,
> micky said:
>
>> I hate to bring up my blown engine again, but when I had my car towed
>> into the shop last summer, he charged me about $90 for diagnosing the
>> problem -- that's his standard rate -- even though I figure he knew what
>> the problem was in 1 minute, just based on the sound.

> 1. All jobs have an *expected* flat rate time.
> 2. The flat rate time is published in a manual somewhere.
> 3. Every shop has access to that flat rate time manual (whether it's
> Chiltons or Mitchells or All Data or the factory KSD).
>
> Yes I am fully aware that some mechanics easily *beat* that flat rate time
> and some mechanics take *longer* than that flat rate time - but the
> mechanics still charge at the same flat rate time.
>
> Yes. I am fully aware that to do a waterpump takes X flat rate time and to
> do a timing belt takes Y flat rate time and do to them both does NOT take X
> + Y flat rate time.
>
> Yes. I am fully aware that some shops still charge the X flat rate time
> plus the Y flat rate time, while others charge X flat rate time plus
> some-fraction-of Y flat rate time.
>
> I'm fully aware of all this.
> None of that is the question.
>
> I wasn't aware that there is "dealer" flat rate time and "factory" flat
> rate time, but that's just a complication that I can deal with depending on
> what flat rate time I do find online.
>
> What I don't know is WHERE to get the flat rate time online.
> It might not exist online.
>
> But that's why I ask.

Here you go.

http://www.chiltonpro.com/pub/About_ChiltonPro.aspx

It will cost you and you may need Proof of Pro and login credentials.

Rene

Old December 11th 17, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 9:29:47 AM UTC-6, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 12/11/2017 4:25 AM, Frank S wrote:
> > In >,
> > micky said:
> >
> >> I hate to bring up my blown engine again, but when I had my car towed
> >> into the shop last summer, he charged me about $90 for diagnosing the
> >> problem -- that's his standard rate -- even though I figure he knew what
> >> the problem was in 1 minute, just based on the sound.

> > 1. All jobs have an *expected* flat rate time.
> > 2. The flat rate time is published in a manual somewhere.
> > 3. Every shop has access to that flat rate time manual (whether it's
> > Chiltons or Mitchells or All Data or the factory KSD).
> >
> > Yes I am fully aware that some mechanics easily *beat* that flat rate time
> > and some mechanics take *longer* than that flat rate time - but the
> > mechanics still charge at the same flat rate time.
> >
> > Yes. I am fully aware that to do a waterpump takes X flat rate time and to
> > do a timing belt takes Y flat rate time and do to them both does NOT take X
> > + Y flat rate time.
> >
> > Yes. I am fully aware that some shops still charge the X flat rate time
> > plus the Y flat rate time, while others charge X flat rate time plus
> > some-fraction-of Y flat rate time.
> >
> > I'm fully aware of all this.
> > None of that is the question.
> >
> > I wasn't aware that there is "dealer" flat rate time and "factory" flat
> > rate time, but that's just a complication that I can deal with depending on
> > what flat rate time I do find online.
> >
> > What I don't know is WHERE to get the flat rate time online.
> > It might not exist online.
> >
> > But that's why I ask.
> >

> Here you go.
>
> http://www.chiltonpro.com/pub/About_ChiltonPro.aspx
>
> It will cost you and you may need Proof of Pro and login credentials.
>
> Rene

Simple jobs you can probally DIY (Do it yourself) and with a good set of tools, save a lot of money too. Of course it might take more time than a shop can do it. Instead of paying the shop, you can pay yourself.
Old December 13th 17, 03:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,alt.windows7.general
Rene Lamontagne

On 12/12/2017 8:04 PM, Wolf K wrote:
> On 2017-12-12 17:07, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on 11 Dec 2017 09:50:19 -0500,
>> (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>>> Presumably you get that $90 refunded when you get an engine rebuild,
>>> though.
>>> --scott

>> It was 4500 for a used engine and 6500 for a rebuilt one.Â* Not worth it,
>> and he knew it.
>>

> That depends on how much additional transportation you buy. As my cars
> age, I begin to think in terms of, for example, "this brake job will
> cost $450, that's about two months of financing a new(er) car, so if I
> get more than two months out of it, I'm money ahead." Which, as it
> turned out, I was, because the car wasn't at the stage of bits and
> pieces falling off it. :-)

Just to add a little perspective to this topic, 1953 to 1970 I was a
practicing Auto mechanic.
1960 to 1970 I owned my own business in a 2 car service station/garage.
Our labor rates were $6.50 per hour, Increased to $7.00 an hour in 1965
much to the crying and hollering of our customers.
I ran a strictly honest place and had an abundance of loyal customers.
Imperial Oil sold the property in 1970 and I left the auto trade.
Back then I could do a 4 wheel brake job (no extras or complications}
for the sum of $24.00 Shoes and labor On GM, Ford, Dodge or Plymouth.
I moved into the field of power Engineering till I retired in year 2000

Rene